• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What does "modified after production" include?

What does "modified after production" include?

• Total voters
I disagree because an artificially seasoned disc is one that would normally be seasoned through normal play, not a post-production modification like adding paint to disc to make it heavier. The only difference is that the "seasoning" is done intentionally with quicker results.

Whatever normal objects that people experience on a course that seasons their disc are acceptable objects to use to artificially season a disc. So, trees, concrete (walls, pavement,etc), rocks, etc. can be used to artificially season a disc.

Also, in regards to the rest of the context of the rule, the rule sounds like it is referring post-production modifications and not seasoning, whether artificial or not.

My argument was that intentionally seasoning a disc was something that did alter a disc that doesn't happen during normal use and by rule is technically illegal. I didn't say that I agree with the rule nor did I say that I don't have a wall and gravel parking lot that I use to knock the new off of discs. I said that "by the letter" it is disallowed.

To me the fact that they can make dimpled discs as PDGA legal when new, means that accelerated seasoning to me is ok. I do agree it's a "grey area", but it's also not really protecting/preventing anything if there are already discs with patterns in the plastic that are legal.

From a practical point of view, I'm not going to buy a disc and hate how it flies for 2 years. If it's too stable it's for sure hitting some trees and cement and then seeing the sanding block to smooth it out.

So you're saying I should stop putting my discs in the tumble dryer with twenty baseballs, is that it?

My downstairs neighbors certainly would agree with that interpretation of the rule.

Out of curiosity, are you setting the dryer to high heat, or to the air dry/cool down mode?

When I am going to throw a new disc, I get some 200 grit and sand off the flashing. Then I do a quick pass around the edges of the flightplate to take that factory waxiness off and improve grip.

Illegal? I don't know. And don't really care. But I guess I am moderately curious.

When I am going to throw a new disc, I get some 200 grit and sand off the flashing. Then I do a quick pass around the edges of the flightplate to take that factory waxiness off and improve grip.

Illegal? I don't know. And don't really care. But I guess I am moderately curious.

Would seem that is specifically what the rules say is allowed with moderate sanding.
Wording like light, moderate and heavy can be so ambiguous but at the same time the best terms to use. Moderate instead of light sanding perhaps because sometimes the amount of material to be removed to get rid of the flashing can be significant.

I use the vent of my oven to heat discs to flatten on the kitchen table under a heavy book if I don't like the dome. It doesn't alter the flight characteristics. It makes them more comfortable.

I also sand flashing (or scrape off with a pocketknife or xacto) when necessary.

Normal play is however you want to play with your disc. Throw it into trees, buildings, whatever.

I use the vent of my oven to heat discs to flatten on the kitchen table under a heavy book if I don't like the dome. It doesn't alter the flight characteristics. It makes them more comfortable.

I also sand flashing (or scrape off with a pocketknife or xacto) when necessary.

Normal play is however you want to play with your disc. Throw it into trees, buildings, whatever.

Add some music and you've got a hit country song there!

Lol at your last couple of sentences :D I too will take some fine grit of sandpaper and sand off any sharp flashing on the disc though I won't sand any other part of it. Who wants to get some of those fine skin slices on your fingers just by throwing the disc?

I'm no rules expert, but I'm pretty sure that sanding of flashing is legal.

Welcome to the DGCR Cooking forum. Today we're discussing Artificial vs. Natural seasoning.
Personally, I season my discs with all the minerals and herbs area courses offer.

The way I see it, artificial seasoning is similar to sex. What discs and players do in the privacy their own home is strictly their business... as long as both are consenting parties to the activity. Just don't do it in public... I don't want to see it.

Are the discs consenting to this? Is silence being taken as consent? Are discs masochists? Just some of them? Should I be taking my discs to counseling or getting them psychiatric help? Should I be protecting children from them? :confused: