• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What does "modified after production" include?

What does "modified after production" include?

• Total voters

crd 81

Double Eagle Member
"B. A disc which has been modified after production [my emphasis] such that its original flight characteristics have been altered is illegal, excepting wear from usage during play and the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrapes. Discs excessively sanded, or painted with a material of detectable thickness, are illegal. Adding a device to make a disc easier to find (for example, a light, ribbon, or chalk dust) is allowed only when night or snow play has been announced by the Director."

While I know this has been talked about in the past, I'm bored and would like to see how people would vote between the two interpretations. With that in mind:

1. Does "modified after production" include artificially seasoning a disc?

OR

2. Does "modified after production" only include changes in a disc such as drilling holes, adding weight, removing a bead, etc., that are contrary to the original/intended design and subsequent approval of the disc?

I think the rule applies to the second interpretation due to the rest of context. What say you all?

If going by the exact letter "artificially seasoning" a disc is more than "wear from usage during play or moderate sanding to remove molding imperfections or scrapes" because the wear didn't come from play.

In the real world, I want you to point out which disc I slammed into a tree and skidded across gravel on purpose and which disc I use to play a wooded course with rocky terrain for a while.

Long story short "artificially seasoning" a disc is illegal but almost unenforceable.

One of my favorite old-timey stories (from Jay Dub) is that when the Innova Phenix was the hot new disc (circa 1988) the pros would get new ones and smash them into the ground a bunch of times before playing a round with them.

If going by the exact letter "artificially seasoning" a disc is more than "wear from usage during play or moderate sanding to remove molding imperfections or scrapes" because the wear didn't come from play.

In the real world, I want you to point out which disc I slammed into a tree and skidded across gravel on purpose and which disc I use to play a wooded course with rocky terrain for a while.

Long story short "artificially seasoning" a disc is illegal but almost unenforceable.

I disagree because an artificially seasoned disc is one that would normally be seasoned through normal play, not a post-production modification like adding paint to disc to make it heavier. The only difference is that the "seasoning" is done intentionally with quicker results.

Whatever normal objects that people experience on a course that seasons their disc are acceptable objects to use to artificially season a disc. So, trees, concrete (walls, pavement,etc), rocks, etc. can be used to artificially season a disc.

Also, in regards to the rest of the context of the rule, the rule sounds like it is referring post-production modifications and not seasoning, whether artificial or not.

Crap! I'm in trouble! Rogue footage of me artificially seasoning a disc has surfaced!

giphy.gif

"Mr. TD I wasn't artificially seasoning that disc, I was practicing my parking lot skip approach for 888 at Winthrop..."

I'm not ashamed to say I voted thay it does include artificially seasoning. Because to a tee, the rules seem to indicate that it would. That being said. I use a stack of practice molds for field work in mybyard I have a 300' lane with trees on the sides and a "wall o' trees" at the end so I love using this lane to practice because ot helps season my discs is this artificial seasoning? I don't agree with the way I voted BTW.

Paul McBeth once had an ITB video where he said a disc (don't remember which mold) had been new but flew into the parking lot while he was practicing for a tournament "and now it's an understable disc, so thank you parking lot". So you're practicing with a disc and it just happens to hit the brick wall of the school building behind which you're throwing. That's not "modifying", that's bad aim.

What about bending the disc to break it in.
IMO that boat sailed numerous years ago when the Aerobic Epic was 'grandfathered' in. Since it is a specific 'technique' encouraged by the company to "tune" their discs by doing so, 'bending' of discs can legally be done.

The question involves the very specific wording of the rule, but asks it with a very vague term.

"Artificial seasoning"?

That might mean different things to different people. Practice throws in a rough area? Deliberate throws against a wall from point-blank range? Microwave? Leaving it out in the summer sun? By "seasoning", do I infer that it's all actions which change the disc the way normal play will likely change it, but quicker? Or just throwing actions that do it?

No big deal, there are lots of casual terms in disc golf. Except when measured against he very specific terms of the rule.

But as others have already pointed out, the question is almost meaningless. If the changes are those that would happen during play---just expedited---the rule can never be applied.

Long story short "artificially seasoning" a disc is illegal but completely unenforceable.

FTFY

I don't see how anyone actually reading the rule could consider artificial seasoning legal. I also don't see how anyone could possibly enforce such a rule.

Nova is not the first to consider the dryer as a seasoning tool.

The question involves the very specific wording of the rule, but asks it with a very vague term.

"Artificial seasoning"?

That might mean different things to different people. Practice throws in a rough area? Deliberate throws against a wall from point-blank range? Microwave? Leaving it out in the summer sun? By "seasoning", do I infer that it's all actions which change the disc the way normal play will likely change it, but quicker? Or just throwing actions that do it?

No big deal, there are lots of casual terms in disc golf. Except when measured against he very specific terms of the rule.

But as others have already pointed out, the question is almost meaningless. If the changes are those that would happen during play---just expedited---the rule can never be applied.

Personally, I interpret it as it would be experienced in normal play. If there is a tree, concrete wall, road, etc., on course, then those types of objects can be used to season a disc even if I am not at the course.

Got a tree in the backyard or wanna use the concrete wall on the side of your garage, then fine because these are objects that are found on courses that can be hit and season discs.

While microwaving and putting a disc in a dryer might be okay to do in regards to the rule, these things are not going to be experienced through normal play. Admittedly, it would be cool to have microwaves and dryers as obsacles throughout courses.

FTFY

I don't see how anyone actually reading the rule could consider artificial seasoning legal. I also don't see how anyone could possibly enforce such a rule.

Nova is not the first to consider the dryer as a seasoning tool.

:thmbup:

Welcome to the DGCR Cooking forum. Today we're discussing Artificial vs. Natural seasoning.
Personally, I season my discs with all the minerals and herbs area courses offer.

The way I see it, artificial seasoning is similar to sex. What discs and players do in the privacy their own home is strictly their business... as long as both are consenting parties to the activity. Just don't do it in public... I don't want to see it.

Unless "wear from usage during play" means discs are illegal if they've been thrown anywhere for any reason outside of a disc golf round then why does it matter where and how i'm throwing them?

End results vary but to the letter of the law what is the difference if I am practicing 200' shots on a soccer field with a stack of mid ranges or throwing spike hyzers and skip shots with brand new fairway drivers in the parking lot. I'm throwing the disc, the disc is being worn and I don't see clarification between either of those in the rule any difference between them is just like your opinion man.