• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc modification, what am I missing?

Is glow tape legal for day tournament?

Adding a device to make a disc easier to find (for example, a light, ribbon, or chalk dust) is allowed only when night or snow play has been announced by the Director.

Generally, no.

But if the TD announces "we're doing night play this afternoon", then yes.

Generally, no.

But if the TD announces "we're doing night play this afternoon", then yes.

Chalk control seems like a rule looking for a reason to exist. The RC told me that players "shouldn't" pat their discs with a chalk bag. The implication that chalking your hands and the resultant transfer of chalk to a disc was OK but directly patting a disc with chalk was not. Hmmmm. Maybe just prohibit chalking after 30 seconds?

Chalk control seems like a rule looking for a reason to exist. The RC told me that players "shouldn't" pat their discs with a chalk bag. The implication that chalking your hands and the resultant transfer of chalk to a disc was OK but directly patting a disc with chalk was not. Hmmmm. Maybe just prohibit chalking after 30 seconds?

There are some things that should not be put on a disc because they would give an advantage.

Rather than trying to divide everything into acceptable-to-add vs. not acceptable, drawing the line at "add nothing" is much more enforceable.

There are some things that should not be put on a disc because they would give an advantage.

Rather than trying to divide everything into acceptable-to-add vs. not acceptable, drawing the line at "add nothing" is much more enforceable.

Why do we allow manufacturer's stickers to remain on discs in competition? Is there any other projectile based sport that allows ANY modification of the projectiles?

Why do we allow manufacturer's stickers to remain on discs in competition? Is there any other projectile based sport that allows ANY modification of the projectiles?

It comes from the factory that way, rather than added after. Now, price tag stickers are added after…

I'd agree that is much more logical; however, not sure about enforceable. The time rule is precise but as this thread shows its enforcement is problematic at best. Same with chalking a disc. Virtually every player on tour does it regularly on the content I watch of the sports biggest events. I think these types of scenarios would benefit from a comprehensive evaluation by the RC.

I'd agree that is much more logical; however, not sure about enforceable. The time rule is precise but as this thread shows its enforcement is problematic at best. Same with chalking a disc. Virtually every player on tour does it regularly on the content I watch of the sports biggest events. I think these types of scenarios would benefit from a comprehensive evaluation by the RC.

Chalking a disc, time rule, 'foot faults', etc....rules enforcement is a huge issue. Pros don't help things by ignoring violations. I've played with people who still flip their disc to mark their lie....most say....I've always done it that way. I let them know the rules no longer allow it. Same with 'tapping' the chains with their putter. Recently, I had someone try to tell me they can use another disc as their marker...come up to their lie, take a second disc out of their bag and place it on the leading edge of the previous disc. They were surprised when I told them that wasn't allowed...the disc doesn't meet the size criteria for a mini marker.

I think three things are happening with rules:
1. rules have changed, but people have played one way so long they aren't aware of the change (players don't get a new rule book when the rules change and the rules books are easily available)
2. players are 'making up'/ignoring rules to their advantage
3. players just don't care

#3 is the worst and seems to be happening the most....and it is noticeable in the pro tour because they are on video. The video can be paused/slowed down to see what happened.

I don't know what the solution is....I've seen people beat their discs against walls to get them 'beat in'. I've heard players say they put their discs in their trunk (Arizona) to get them soft and adjust their shape. Disc golf seems more like a pick-up sport where people play by the 'house rules'. Modify discs? Sure, as long as it isn't too obvious. Ignore time violations? Sure.

Chalking a disc, time rule, 'foot faults', etc....rules enforcement is a huge issue. Pros don't help things by ignoring violations. I've played with people who still flip their disc to mark their lie....most say....I've always done it that way. I let them know the rules no longer allow it. Same with 'tapping' the chains with their putter. Recently, I had someone try to tell me they can use another disc as their marker...come up to their lie, take a second disc out of their bag and place it on the leading edge of the previous disc. They were surprised when I told them that wasn't allowed...the disc doesn't meet the size criteria for a mini marker.

I think three things are happening with rules:
1. rules have changed, but people have played one way so long they aren't aware of the change (players don't get a new rule book when the rules change and the rules books are easily available)
2. players are 'making up'/ignoring rules to their advantage
3. players just don't care

#3 is the worst and seems to be happening the most....and it is noticeable in the pro tour because they are on video. The video can be paused/slowed down to see what happened.

I don't know what the solution is....I've seen people beat their discs against walls to get them 'beat in'. I've heard players say they put their discs in their trunk (Arizona) to get them soft and adjust their shape. Disc golf seems more like a pick-up sport where people play by the 'house rules'. Modify discs? Sure, as long as it isn't too obvious. Ignore time violations? Sure.

The bolded was never legal to my knowledge and certainly has not been since 1994. You make your own point. :)

The bolded was never legal to my knowledge and certainly has not been since 1994. You make your own point. :)

Thanks, I've been told several times that flipping your disc to mark the lie was permitted prior to 2018.

I just know that it hasn't been allowed as long as I've been playing (since 2019) and I carry spare mini markers for players that don't have them.

So I was considering MVP overmold (Innova has *cough* tried a couple), and wondered if an overmold was on … say … a … titanium core, super light, super thin… that would be sweet. At least it sounds cool.

Latest posts