• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Flat, overstable mid between a Zone and Tyrant

So the Resistor is on the list to check out.

Between the Verdict, Suspect and Justice, which one is the most workable? I'm not looking for beef city, rather something that can have a straight flight (maybe a little wiggle) with a solid finish. Both the Zone and Tyrant will turn slightly for me on a hard, flat release. I like the confidence that gives me for tight S shots through the woods. Are any of those 3 going to be stepping on the Tyrants toes? That disc is my absolute bread and butter right now. I just need a shorter version!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Viper/Moab would be good and minimally domey. Resistor is good but maybe bot oS enough.

So the Resistor is on the list to check out.

Between the Verdict, Suspect and Justice, which one is the most workable? I'm not looking for beef city, rather something that can have a straight flight (maybe a little wiggle) with a solid finish. Both the Zone and Tyrant will turn slightly for me on a hard, flat release. I like the confidence that gives me for tight S shots through the woods. Are any of those 3 going to be stepping on the Tyrants toes? That disc is my absolute bread and butter right now. I just need a shorter version!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Verdict is longer, Suspect is shorter and the Justice is just a meat hook. I tried a friend of mines Justice for a while and for my arm (operative term) it fits no spot in my bag. For control and up shots, I like the Suspect better than the Verdict. Both are good discs, Verdict Larger diameter, Suspect smaller. I no longer bag a Verdict, but I still bag a Suspect. Both are worth a try.

Viper/Moab would be good and minimally domey. Resistor is good but maybe bot oS enough.

Forgot about both those molds, thanks! Also, how's that Ptero fly for you?

Verdict is longer, Suspect is shorter and the Justice is just a meat hook. I tried a friend of mines Justice for a while and for my arm (operative term) it fits no spot in my bag. For control and up shots, I like the Suspect better than the Verdict. Both are good discs, Verdict Larger diameter, Suspect smaller. I no longer bag a Verdict, but I still bag a Suspect. Both are worth a try.

Thanks for the description. Suspect seems like its more in line with what I'm after. May have to take a look at both the Verdict and the Suspect :thmbup:

Jesus... The MOAB. So stupid overstable. I love it. It still has some glide, but it's just SOOOO beeftastic! An H1 only goes about 250' for me just because it's so overstable, but a MOAB rated 3 "speed" lower by Innova's numbering system still flies farther. The thing will stand up on a steep hyzer and just GOOOOOOOOOO. If you haven't checked out a MOAB, it's definitely worth a look. Quite unique in OS slots.

Jesus... The MOAB. So stupid overstable. I love it. It still has some glide, but it's just SOOOO beeftastic! An H1 only goes about 250' for me just because it's so overstable, but a MOAB rated 3 "speed" lower by Innova's numbering system still flies farther. The thing will stand up on a steep hyzer and just GOOOOOOOOOO. If you haven't checked out a MOAB, it's definitely worth a look. Quite unique in OS slots.

I have a GL XXX, an Opto Spark (the stupid OS ones), an H1, Firebirds and a Steggo. The H1 could be the most ridiculously overstable disc I own.

Which mold pieces does the MOAB use? Always hear good things, but I don't have many stores around where I can feel discs (other than Innova) before purchase. Can you still get some turn out of the MOAB on a nice little flex?

I have a GL XXX, an Opto Spark (the stupid OS ones), an H1, Firebirds and a Steggo. The H1 could be the most ridiculously overstable disc I own.

Which mold pieces does the MOAB use? Always hear good things, but I don't have many stores around where I can feel discs (other than Innova) before purchase. Can you still get some turn out of the MOAB on a nice little flex?

It's a modified Tachyon - which is a modified Viper. It's similar to a Viper but a little blunted, has more glide, and is in WAY better plastic.

Forgot about both those molds, thanks! Also, how's that Ptero fly for you?

No problem! They are very nice and often overlooked.

It was the Tyrant I got from your i think. I really like it! You can throw it as hard as you want and barely get any turn, but unless you throw it really high, it doesn't fade all that hard either.

Almost like solid piece discs can gyro or something. (Imagine sarcasm font)

personally I use the zone up to 300 ft. It's so shallow that it is basically a mid. I would stick with it

My FH is still a work in progress. It usually comes out pretty hot, but on a relatively low line (5-10 feet off the ground). Just can't seem to get the Zone out much further than about 220 on those lower lines. Backhand the Zone gets a lot of work too, but in a much father range. It's just so fun to throw!

Throw the zone with both backhands imo. U will get better range and precision then a fh and I think being ambi gives you a leg up in any sport/physical endevour.

Last edited:
My FH is still a work in progress. It usually comes out pretty hot, but on a relatively low line (5-10 feet off the ground). Just can't seem to get the Zone out much further than about 220 on those lower lines. Backhand the Zone gets a lot of work too, but in a much father range. It's just so fun to throw!

As overstable as Zones are it's no surprise that you're not getting them out any further. Try something like a Wasp and watch yourself gain another 50' off the bat.

If you're really serious about developing a proper FH though, the same rules apply as BHs. Something neutral like a Comet will be incredibly frustrating at first but will pay off in huge dividends once you clean up your form...with every disc in your bag.

As overstable as Zones are it's no surprise that you're not getting them out any further. Try something like a Wasp and watch yourself gain another 50' off the bat.

If you're really serious about developing a proper FH though, the same rules apply as BHs. Something neutral like a Comet will be incredibly frustrating at first but will pay off in huge dividends once you clean up your form...with every disc in your bag.

I actually started learning FH by using a Flex Ptero and random putters like Wizards, Serpents and a Reko. I still use those discs for more finesse FH's if you will, but feel much more confident really laying into the Zone or Tyrant. FH's that don't require a harder throw usually get the Ptero/Wiz treatment.

Haven't owned a Comet since I lost mine (left the second shot on the hole :wall:) a few years back. Been thinking about grabbing one to see where my BH form is. Never thought to start using it FH too!

Since the Comets I like are domey (one of the few molds I like domey) I'll admit that the Comet is not the most comfortable in hand. Once I got over that though, I really discovered how amazing they are for FH. Just a little wrist, and they just sail on down the fairway doing all the wonderful things Comets do. They did spend a long time in the practice field before I ever bagged them for rounds though. It's been a long time. I may have to revisit them.

Our Andro C is designed to slot slightly below the tyrant. Similar stability but it will season slightly straighter and it flies a little bit shorter. Maybe not as over stable as your looking for but worth a look.

Last edited:
Our Andro C is designed to slot slightly below the tyrant. Similar stability but it will season slightly straighter and it flies a little bit shorter. Maybe not as over stable as your looking for but worth a look.

Not "maybe." DEFINITELY check out an Andro C! I'm looking forward to the modified Andro Cs greatly!

Didn't even cross my mind! I will absolutely give it a look. Haven't been disappointed by one Faction purchase yet :thmbup:

Another vote for the Verdict and Buzzz OS. Verdict for more workable wiggle, Buzzz OS for less wiggle. Both are dead flat.

I will also second Stardoggy's suggestion of a Gator but add that for FH shots the flat glow ones like they have at the Factory store are the best. I bag both a Verdict and a glow Gator for FH mid shots depending on how much wiggle I want it to have or for flex shots the Gator fights back harder than the Verdict.

Found this thread because I'm facing same issues. I can toss my Zone a bit further, 250 or so but with more power than I'd prefer to use. Biggest issue for me isn't necessarily find a 5 or 6 speed disc that flies right, but rather one that *feels* right. The zone is just so comfortable, and higher speed mids often have beads or sharp bottoms edges.

Before I found the Zone I actually threw a flat topped, beadless Gator. Unfortunately, I didn't learn until I lost it that it's not a production disc. If you can find one though, it really is exactly what you're looking for, at least in my experience.