• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Flat top discs-designed to be Flat.

Dome is good for hyzerflips, that is why. A hyzerflip is pretty much the polar opposite of holding the initial angle of release. Coincides with what I said earlier haha.

Dome is good for hyzerflips, that is why. A hyzerflip is pretty much the polar opposite of holding the initial angle of release. Coincides with what I said earlier haha.

Yeah but if you throw a slight Anny with a flat very understable disc it will actually turn harder vs the domier less understable disc. So wouldn't that be not holding the angle longer? I guess the opposite would be a flat OS disc hyzering out early like a FAF FB vs normal dome one.

Why would anyone throw an anny with something flat and understable? Roller maybe? Lol if I want to go to the right, I forehand. I am righty BTW. The resistance to angle change from the flat top is what makes flat understable molds so wayward. Case in point, Nuke SS. But yeah, overstable discs. Take a flat one and a domey one, same mold, plastic and weight. Both thrown on an anny. The domey one will fight out of the anny quicker than the flat one. The flat one will do its best to hold that anny, provided it has sufficient speed and spin. In my experiences, anyways.

Why would anyone throw an anny with something flat and understable? Roller maybe? Lol if I want to go to the right, I forehand. I am righty BTW. The resistance to angle change from the flat top is what makes flat understable molds so wayward. Case in point, Nuke SS. But yeah, overstable discs. Take a flat one and a domey one, same mold, plastic and weight. Both thrown on an anny. The domey one will fight out of the anny quicker than the flat one. The flat one will do its best to hold that anny, provided it has sufficient speed and spin. In my experiences, anyways.

Yeah, Depends on the mold/individual disc still. A FAF FB (real FAF with high PLH) is a lot more OS and will come out of an anny sooner then a domier less OS FB. I've thrown forced flexes with them and know them well. I think you are generally right though that OS-Stable molds that flatter is generally closer to stable and thus will hold the angle of release longer.

For most of my life my FH game was close to non-existent, so I am use to flipping discs at varying degrees vs throwing a stable disc FH.

I have a handful of different understable driver molds, with multiples of each. The flatter ones are less predictable, across the molds...they flip more and flip faster.

MVP drivers? Well, who knows, they're all flat.

Flatness helps in turn resistance, but that is what makes flat understable discs so unpredictable. Its understable nature makes it want to flip, but its flat top makes it want to hold an angle. So when it does flip, it is almost like in video games when you charge an action up to make it more powerful. It just lets go and keeps on turning haha. That is what I am experiencing with the 174 CryZtal Nuke SS. I throw nothing but hyzers with it.

Flatness helps in turn resistance, but that is what makes flat understable discs so unpredictable. Its understable nature makes it want to flip, but its flat top makes it want to hold an angle. So when it does flip, it is almost like in video games when you charge an action up to make it more powerful. It just lets go and keeps on turning haha. That is what I am experiencing with the 174 CryZtal Nuke SS. I throw nothing but hyzers with it.
This sounds like you are agreeing with BM.

The terminology may be a bit different, but I agree that most flat high speed drivers have very hard to control flight.

I have a flat TP World and a Lucid Freedom that may be quite OS if I miss my pull just the tiniest bit and then turnover and never come back on the next one.

Mvp does really well keeping their discs flat. I can't say I've ever seen an even slightly domed firebird, I've had a few that were almost concaved.

Retro Line Claymore is the flattest mid I've run into. It likes to turn hard at the end, but the grip is kinda strange at first. Discraft Flick is the flattest driver seen by me.

Mvp does really well keeping their discs flat. I can't say I've ever seen an even slightly domed firebird, I've had a few that were almost concaved.

Domey Firebirds have become commonplace, hence the premium on a FAF one these days.

Yeah, I rarely see flat Firebirds in stores anymore. Sold my last faf a few years ago and haven't come across one since.

I just found a flat PFN champ Orc on the shelf at a local store. How they had a PFN Orc still hanging around, go figure. They move a lot of Innova.

Orc not designed to be flat, I know. But this one is board flat and has high PLH. Pretty OS for an Orc, it has no turn and does straight-fade and hard hyzers.

I agree with the posters who say Flick. Every Flick that I have owned or seen has been flat. Some firebird runs are very flat.

In response to the OP, the first run star Vulcan that I had was very flat.

Latest posts