• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flat vs. Domey

Darth Anovin

Eagle Member
As the title indicates, I'm looking for opinions and experiences dealing with flat vs. domey dics. Which ones glide more?, what kind of flight tendenices do each one posses?, etc. Also, if I like a particular mold, say a Valkyrie for example, what, if any, advantages would there be to having a flatter one AND a domier one in my bag? Thanks in advance.

Generally flatter domes are faster and glide less. There are other factors that influence speed and glide but a domier top given all other factors being equal will slow a disc down but provide more glide.

Generally flatter domes are faster and glide less. There are other factors that influence speed and glide but a domier top given all other factors being equal will slow a disc down but provide more glide.

This question prob belongs in the noob thread, but the above post made me think of it. I'm a little confused on how speed and glide relate to distance. Which disc would go farther if thrown with the same amount of force:

Speed 13 / Glide 1
Speed 1 / Glide 13

^^^this is why I stopped going by speed ratings when buying discs. Problem you see with most new players. "It's speed is 13!!! That's the one I'll be able to bomb".

Granted, personally, I can throw my Destroyers the furthest (speed 12), but my Valkyries (speed 9) I can throw just as far, if not further)

So many variables affect the flight of a disc when thrown

Which disc would go farther if thrown with the same amount of force:

Well, that depends. Think of a high speed / no glide disc as a bullet. Think of a low speed / high glide disc as a paper airplane.

The "bullet" will get whatever distance it travels purely from covering as much ground as possible before hitting the ground. The "plane" will actually fly and stay aloft longer, gaining distance from being thrown high and being allowed to take longer to float to the ground.

If your "same amount of force" is a low line with a ton of velocity behind it, the "bullet" will go farther. If your "same amount of force" is just a gentle push, you might get more out of the "paper airplane".

And remember...Innova's speed rating is the speed required from YOU to make the disc fly right.

Well, that depends. Think of a high speed / no glide disc as a bullet. Think of a low speed / high glide disc as a paper airplane.

The "bullet" will get whatever distance it travels purely from covering as much ground as possible before hitting the ground. The "plane" will actually fly and stay aloft longer, gaining distance from being thrown high and being allowed to take longer to float to the ground.

If your "same amount of force" is a low line with a ton of velocity behind it, the "bullet" will go farther. If your "same amount of force" is just a gentle push, you might get more out of the "paper airplane".

And remember...Innova's speed rating is the speed required from YOU to make the disc fly right.

^wisdom^ This made perfect sense to me. good insight:popcorn:

Granted, personally, I can throw my Destroyers the furthest (speed 12), but my Valkyries (speed 9) I can throw just as far, if not further)

Uh...ok
:confused: :)

I do know what you're sayin' though...I have had some good rips with rivers, eagles and teebirds (speed 7) and strikers (speed 9) that are only a few feet shy of my hi-speeds.

I never thought of using the search feature. What is that? I s that where I click on search and type something in and some results pop up that are mysteriously similar to what I typed in? Why didn't I think of that? Oh wait, I think I know why. If you refer to my original post, I believe I had a pretty specific question looking for a pretty specific answer. But once again, I got nothing. These forums suck. I read all this condescending talk towards "noobs" and it's actually very pathetic and disheartening. Everyone that's ever picked up a disc was at one point, new to the sport. Climo. Feldberg. Doss. Jenkins. All of them. It's this kind of uppity attitude that made me eventually sell my ball golf clubs and drop that sport. Everyone thought they were so much better than you when you simply asked a question that they already knew the answer to. I see that A LOT on these forums. However, I love disc golf too much to ever not play anymore. But as far as these forums go, I'm done asking questions. Sure, I'll offer a reply when I feel I can offer something HELPFUL, but I won't ask anyone anymore questions. I'll just figure the **** out on my own. By the way, thank you to those that gave INSIGHTFUL info.

P.S. I guess I do have one last question. Do you have a basket up there on your pedistal, so you practice putting?

I guess this is supposed to be a jab,but alas,you have failed.

Enjoy life as if the world cares.

If you were mad at a know it all you would want to throw a flat top as it will travel faster and maintain it's speed longer it will also hold a straighter line if thrown with enough velocity and if aimed at said obnoxious degrading forum posters head will likely only miss to the left and disable his throwing arm or might drop to the groin area.
If you threw a domier disc at his head you might miss high as the disc will have more lift or it may turn as glide and turning right are often related. This will result in his left being hit and not at the same rate of speed and his game will not be affected.
Best option would be a flat top driver aimed slightly to the right of said poster and watch him fall from his elitist pedestal.

If you were mad at a know it all you would want to throw a flat top as it will travel faster and maintain it's speed longer it will also hold a straighter line if thrown with enough velocity and if aimed at said obnoxious degrading forum posters head will likely only miss to the left and disable his throwing arm or might drop to the groin area.
If you threw a domier disc at his head you might miss high as the disc will have more lift or it may turn as glide and turning right are often related. This will result in his left being hit and not at the same rate of speed and his game will not be affected.
Best option would be a flat top driver aimed slightly to the right of said poster and watch him fall from his elitist pedestal.

Wow! Now I completely get it! Thanks

There are several threads on this but they are not really easy to search "Flat" and "Domey" are pretty common terms, plus I am feeling too lazy to search it for you :)
but domey is has more glide. many posters prefer flat though.

Here is a post i made in another thread. Hope it helps.

Another recent discussion on disc domes:

Bubble top or Flat top....Which does it matter and if so, Y???

Generally:
The flatter the disc, the closer the relationship to the amount of air passing above the disc is to the amount below the disc. This, generally, correlates to less "lift" or "Glide" and is the reason airplanes can fly and change altitudes (varying speeds and air-foil). It is possible to have too much dome that will negatively attribute to lift/glide.

Time to get technical:
Referencing Wikipedias Airfoil entry --
An airfoil-shaped body moved through a fluid produces an aerodynamic force. The component of this force perpendicular to the direction of motion is called lift. The component parallel to the direction of motion is called drag.

350px-Airfoil.svg.png

The lift on an airfoil is primarily the result of its shape (in particular its camber) and its angle of attack. When either is positive, the resulting flowfield about the airfoil has a higher average velocity on the upper surface than on the lower surface. This velocity difference is necessarily accompanied by a pressure difference, via Bernoulli's principle for incompressible inviscid flow, which in turn produces the lift force. The lift force can also be related directly to the average top/bottom velocity difference, without invoking the pressure, by using the concept of circulation and the Kutta-Joukowski theorem.

Domey vs. flat will affect the discs stability also.

If you're talking Innova, most of the warp speed drivers are more understable when flat, and more overstable when domey. This is true for pretty much any Innova disc at Speed 11 or faster (e.g. Wraith, Destroyer, Boss). The slower discs seem to have the opposite be true, flat Teebirds, Firebirds, Rocs, Leopards, TLs etc are all more stable when flat, and less stable with a good dome to them.

Why is everyone being so hard on the guy? Lighten up. It's not as if you had to come read this post and bump it to the top by posting? :doh: