• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] flippiest Teebird out of the box..

I played at the Majestic last year with a 930ish rated guy who proclaimed, after I threw my Star Teebird, that he had too much arm speed for Teebirds so he couldn't throw them. Dohkay..

hahah..I've heard stupid **** like that too. Teebird is still the greatest disc ever for me.

haha..thanks. Yeah i have very little use for dx. Not because i cant throw them, they just dont seem to hold that sweet spot long enough for me. I dont think this is an uncommon criticism. All the people I know who threw exclusively dx back in the day have moved on. Im not saying the same is true for everyone..just my experience.

If that's the case light GStar is probably the best you will do unless you want to move on to a JLS or Leopard.

DX in the 150s is what I use for hyzer flip turnovers. I have a G* in the same weight range but it's not flippy out of the box

In the few Leo3 throws I've had, they are slower than a Teebird but should work great with it. The champ Leo3 was definitely less stable than a champ TL. The Leo would finish understable, where the TL would just have a wiggle to it at 350 or so. I have a mellow star Teebird that will drift right mildly if thrown flat, or on the slightest hyzer release it's dead straight with a super mild finish. This is perfect. So I say low PLH star Teebird if the Leo3 isn't what you wanted. For example that star Teebird is for dead straight shots or anhyzers, and I use a JL for wind or hyzers...significantly less stable but still not a turnover disc.

If you want to get there in 2 weeks and stay there for a year get a DX. If you have half a year to work it in but want to keep it in the bag for 2 years go Star.

I have been using the Stag for this as well and love it but the flight is more Eagle L out of the box than Teebird.

Before the leopard 3 there was, and still is the discmania FD. Current 5th run C-line (champion) FD are flippy teebird stable out of the box + DX teebird glide and are champion plastic which is durable.

Before the leopard 3 there was, and still is the discmania FD. Current 5th run C-line (champion) FD are flippy teebird stable out of the box + DX teebird glide and are champion plastic which is durable.

I tried an FD once, the G* one I have.. as luck would have it, isn't at all like a beat in Teebird, sadly.

I'll echo the love of the DX 'bird in this thread.

Echo* has so much glide I would never bother with DX or possibly cycling DX for a driver.. Just my 2 cents. It's easy to obliterate a DX in the woods.. The way I play anyways :popcorn:

I tend to throw old Star Teebirds for this shot. Or I did until I moved to Rivals (which are basically Legacy Teebirds). I have found that the Pinnacle Rivals are a little easier to beat in than the Star Teebirds and hold the sweet spot longer. I keep waiting for my oldest one to turn into a midrange roller but it hasn't yet lost enough stability despite some major use. I have 3 in the bag and I will probably just keep cycling them until I find something better.

These are the flat top ones, like the 2nd run C Line, right? I have a C Line that's flat topped and I'd liken it more to a beat in champ teebird than a turnover disc like a leopard.

I love my G* Teebird but I also bag a DX Teebird, G* TL and a Champ Leo3. For the shot you're describing, I'd reach for my Leo3 . If I have to keep my answer in regards to your question I would most likely reach for my semi beat DX Teebird or my G* TL.

I just added a DX Teebird to the bag last week and fell in love. I've already ordered a DX glow for backup.

My DX Teebird quickly seasoned in to become a lot like my Star TLs. So I'd first recommend a DX Teebird.

My next recommendation is a Star TL, and also the Latitude64 River.

I saw a lot of FD recommendations, and the FD is good also. My FD is C-Line (a.k.a. Champion plastic). I usually don't throw that in technical/wooded conditions, but that's just me. YMMV.

These are the flat top ones, like the 2nd run C Line, right? I have a C Line that's flat topped and I'd liken it more to a beat in champ teebird than a turnover disc like a leopard.

yeah I got confused the OP initial desire to have a super flippy teebird right out of the box, which usually points at a DX teebird.

the C-FD, specifically the newest 5th runs, are very beat in champ teebird/overstable star stable out of the box (the level of stable that people take years to get their champ/OS Star teebirds too). So you can hyzerflip them with a strong throw and trust it to go straight and finish straight).

DX Teebirds are great because they're so cheap and readily available.

I have a pair of swirly DX Teebirds that are the very definition of what you're looking for. I alternate them out every couple rounds, and my FR Volts and my Relay have stolen a few shots from them. Regardless, they've been the definition of flip to flat, glide a long way, and settle down gently for almost 2 years now. I would guess you might not get as long out of them, as I'm pretty selective about where I throw them, but for the price of DX I think it beats into a sweet spot quickly and holds it for a reasonable period of time.

I didn't see anybody mention the Pro Teebird. I suppose that is because they are out of print or headed that direction. They're fairly durable and have a ton of glide: a great turnover disc right out of the box. There are still some left at Disc Golf United.

I played at the Majestic last year with a 930ish rated guy who proclaimed, after I threw my Star Teebird, that he had too much arm speed for Teebirds so he couldn't throw them. Dohkay.
Point is, I'm agreeing a bit with SonicGuy. A DX Teebird is a marvelous thing, and I think it would be a long, long road to useless.

Leopard3 could be a great idea though. I like mine so far.

Haha, I love when I hear this kind of stuff.

I always say, if you have too much arm speed for a Teebird, how do you throw putters and mids?

I agree with all the DX teebird comments.

My only reservation is that the OP specifically mentioned using it in the woods. I'd say get a DX bird, but also start beating in a champ bird as well. It will never, and i mean never, beat to the point of uselessness for you.