• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Floaty touch upshots

Found a really old Z Putt´r and APX in my closet . .. and going to order a Champion Polecat , Serpent and a Yikun Claws . . .fun discs to test

My personal preference is DX on the polecat. It's so blunt, you don't need champ, it'll last a long.. long time.

The only reason I bought any of the latest run Champs is because of how much effort it took to get them made in the first place. It's my way of thanking Innova for finally listening/being so annoyed by daily emails for months that they gave in. DX really is the bees knees. XT is pretty nice too though.

Found a really old Z Putt´r and APX in my closet . .. and going to order a Champion Polecat , Serpent and a Yikun Claws . . .fun discs to test

Claws is a good disc...like an OS Polecat.

Some people have said the Proxy, and while I live it, and it's perhaps my favorite upshot disc, I would not consider it floaty. It's too fast to really be floaty.

I prefer the Blowfly for really floaty touch shots. That thing will pretty much hover in place when thrown right.

Touch upshots of any kind generallyhabe me reaching for a birdie. I can make that disc do just about anything it's so neutral, and it also has almost zero glide so that helps it stay out for sure.

Touch upshots of any kind generallyhabe me reaching for a birdie. I can make that disc do just about anything it's so neutral, and it also has almost zero glide so that helps it stay out for sure.

I had a 150 crack on me, it killed me. It whip flip to flat and stay there. I miss it. I love the Polecat, but I get the Birdie.

I had a 150 crack on me, it killed me. It whip flip to flat and stay there. I miss it. I love the Polecat, but I get the Birdie.

People overlook it constantly, but the low glide and neutral flight give you so much ability to shape shots in small spaces/shorter throws it's crazy.

I just want to add the Discraft Putt'r to the conversation. To me it is the most comfortable of the lid type discs. Unfortunately they have not run a premium version for some time but if you find a domey X soft they are still nice.

I find the disc looses all of its glide when they brake in after 20-30 putts with the disc and the top does a slight concave in due to the soft X plastic. Then the other flaw is you have to be very exact with the power you put on the disc after the mini break in as you can putt more power on the Putt'r then most other lids.

A Magnet, either Soft or a worn in JB is good for uphill and downhill putting. I have used a worn in JB Magnet for that recently just to see if I could with my main mold putters but I normally use a Lighitng Upshot #2 or U-2 in Prostyle plastic for uphill and downhill putting under 170 grams, also a Lighting Rubber Putter at any weight in baseline plastic can do this as well as work for the approach shot.

The only reason I bought any of the latest run Champs is because of how much effort it took to get them made in the first place. It's my way of thanking Innova for finally listening/being so annoyed by daily emails for months that they gave in. DX really is the bees knees. XT is pretty nice too though.

I will say stay way from the R-Pro Polecat, the plastic is too inconstant with that mold as I felt three near the same weight in a store in early 2018 and each one felt different, one was floppy like the Gumputt and Blowfly DGA putter plastic, one was like Discraft JB plastic in terms of how soft the R-Pro was in durability, and other one was the way R-Pro is supposed to feel and be in durability.

Last edited:
Over the weekend I took a stack of likely candidates out to a field to test on shots like the ones I described in OP - floaty, slow annies around 100' and in.

Long story short, I found that my most worn Dagger performed fine for these shots, so moving forward I'll be bagging a putting dagger and a beat up throwing dagger.

I had developed the impression that they weren't so favorable for short anhyzers during the Sexton Shootout, where I took one as my putter to use alongside a champ mako3 and thundie. I found the dagger to be a sluggish driving putter, and the one that I chose was possibly a freakishly stable one... it didn't want to hold a floaty anny line.

Other impressions from the fieldwork included that the Nova is quite straight (surprise!), and flies a lot like the Aviars it is molded after, but with less glide. I tried a star aviar pna 165g plus a max wt star aviar BB driver, and they would probably make a nice driving putter pairing. I'd probably roll with a max weight DX pna though to make the difference between the two more pronounced as it wore in.

The atom in proton flies a lot like a plasma proxy, both 173g. If the Proxy is 3/4/-.5/.5, the atom is 3.5/4/0/1 or so. I have noticed that the atom gets out there a little quicker, and sure enough, although it appears that they share the same core, the atom has a slightly wider wing thickness and its overall diameter is a bit greater than that of the proxy or envy. For this reason, this season I've decided to compress my mids and putters into something like:

Dagger putter
Dagger thrower
Protostar Mirage 172g
Proton Atom 173g
ESP Zone 174g
And fairways and so on

My shortest mid does go farther than my longest putter of similar stability, but only marginally so. It's worth it in the on season to bag both classes of discs, especially in the woods, but I like the idea of slimming down in the wet.

Finally, I tried my wife's 167g DX Polecat, and honestly was not super impressed. Terrible in the wind as a matter of course, but compared to the beveled edge options I had and the daggers and the like, it just was not keeping up to any degree. I think the issue here is that 167g is sort of a compromise; I'd be willing to try a beefier lid, or go to the other end of the spectrum and try a 150 class lid for maximum loft and floatiness.

My personal preference is DX on the polecat. It's so blunt, you don't need champ, it'll last a long.. long time.

I like both the DX and Champion Polecats. Right now I'm bagging the Champ Polecat because I often hit the metal of the pole or basket (including it going in) or the concrete of the base, and the DX tends to be damaged worse and more often than the virtually indestructible Champion plastic. And yes, thank you Innova for the Champ Polecat run. :thmbup:

Title of thread screams Warship - very glidey disc, easy to power up and down due to its neutral quality.

Over the weekend I took a stack of likely candidates out to a field to test on shots like the ones I described in OP - floaty, slow annies around 100' and in.

Long story short, I found that my most worn Dagger performed fine for these shots, so moving forward I'll be bagging a putting dagger and a beat up throwing dagger.

I had developed the impression that they weren't so favorable for short anhyzers during the Sexton Shootout, where I took one as my putter to use alongside a champ mako3 and thundie. I found the dagger to be a sluggish driving putter, and the one that I chose was possibly a freakishly stable one... it didn't want to hold a floaty anny line.

Other impressions from the fieldwork included that the Nova is quite straight (surprise!), and flies a lot like the Aviars it is molded after, but with less glide. I tried a star aviar pna 165g plus a max wt star aviar BB driver, and they would probably make a nice driving putter pairing. I'd probably roll with a max weight DX pna though to make the difference between the two more pronounced as it wore in.

The atom in proton flies a lot like a plasma proxy, both 173g. If the Proxy is 3/4/-.5/.5, the atom is 3.5/4/0/1 or so. I have noticed that the atom gets out there a little quicker, and sure enough, although it appears that they share the same core, the atom has a slightly wider wing thickness and its overall diameter is a bit greater than that of the proxy or envy. For this reason, this season I've decided to compress my mids and putters into something like:

Dagger putter
Dagger thrower
Protostar Mirage 172g
Proton Atom 173g
ESP Zone 174g
And fairways and so on

My shortest mid does go farther than my longest putter of similar stability, but only marginally so. It's worth it in the on season to bag both classes of discs, especially in the woods, but I like the idea of slimming down in the wet.

Finally, I tried my wife's 167g DX Polecat, and honestly was not super impressed. Terrible in the wind as a matter of course, but compared to the beveled edge options I had and the daggers and the like, it just was not keeping up to any degree. I think the issue here is that 167g is sort of a compromise; I'd be willing to try a beefier lid, or go to the other end of the spectrum and try a 150 class lid for maximum loft and floatiness.

I found throwing the Dagger to be a chore. Whatever works for you though, that's why the game is great.

I echo the DX for a Polecat, especially since you're going for floaty upshots. I've had one in the bag (max weight DX) since late 2015 and it's holding up just fine. I never throw it over 150', and it's got some deformities, but DX will take almost no time to get that Polecat glide, whereas my champion needs to hit a bunch more trees at full speed before it starts acting like the Polecat I've come to know and love. The champion is really fun to throw 100% but seems kinda glideless at lower speeds. (YMMV)

The reason I bought my champion was because of how pretty it was on Infinite. The funny thing is, it wasn't available when I checked out, so I settled for a slightly less pretty one. Oh well... all the better to break those trees with.

Latest posts