• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Footwork...

bsnone

Par Member
So after seeing this in person and then watching these slow mo videos

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=792990307422414

It's pretty clear that my footwork stinks. Specifically, staying on my toes. Feldberg does a great job of being in an athletic position through the throw - up on his toes through the X-step etc...

I'm finding this frustratingly difficult to fix for myself. Anyone go from having a fairly flat footed shot to a more dynamic/athletic throw who can offer some insight as to how you changed? I really struggle getting up on my toes and end up in the "horse stance" all too often through the throw. I'd like to fix this...

Slow down the footwork. Only think about one thing at a time. Let "Up on the toes" be your mantra during field work. One of the biggest things that helped me was the combination of keeping the footwork slow (but still fluid), and making what feels like a stupidly short step in to the plant. This lets your hips get more engaged, and if you stay on your toes as well then you are engaging your lower body WAY more.

I hesitantly post video of myself as my form is not good, but this is video of my most recent breakthrough moment. Earlier in this field session I was really struggling, and my putters were going about 240-260 and I was getting angry. For some reason the thought that came to mind was how HyzerUnibomber was talking about how "lazy" his run up seems. So I decided to slow and shorten mine drastically. The results were some immediate 300ft aviar throws with less effort than ever before.

Stay dynamically balanced inside your posture:

Thanks guys - I've been digging through a lot of SW videos and trying to apply but I think I get caught up in what to work on at any given time. Going to go with the idea of one idea per session and see what that does for me.

I hesitantly post video of myself as my form is not good, but this is video of my most recent breakthrough moment. Earlier in this field session I was really struggling, and my putters were going about 240-260 and I was getting angry. For some reason the thought that came to mind was how HyzerUnibomber was talking about how "lazy" his run up seems. So I decided to slow and shorten mine drastically. The results were some immediate 300ft aviar throws with less effort than ever before.

Thanks for posting this.

Your throw in that vid looks a lot like mine. It seems that we're tall and lanky with a tendency to throw that lead foot out too far in advance.

I'm fairly bad myself, and rarely study film or technique, but just from watching that video I instantly recall the few times I've taped myself, slowed it down, and broke it down.

Thanks for posting this.

Your throw in that vid looks a lot like mine. It seems that we're tall and lanky with a tendency to throw that lead foot out too far in advance.

I'm fairly bad myself, and rarely study film or technique, but just from watching that video I instantly recall the few times I've taped myself, slowed it down, and broke it down.

It's SO difficult for me not to plant about 6' wide. Even though that step looks pretty wide I feel like I'm planting about 1' in front of my back foot, haha. That's why recording your throw is so great!

I'm super tall and lanky. 6'4" and 170lbs if I get caught in the rain.