• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

Question for all you guys who have been throwing teebirds longer than me...does a star or EchoStar beat into gstar stability eventually? Straight and glidey with a long forward fade?

Question for all you guys who have been throwing teebirds longer than me...does a star or EchoStar beat into gstar stability eventually? Straight and glidey with a long forward fade?

I have a Star TB from when I first started playing, about 3 years ago. I stopped throwing it a lot last season, after I added a Totem stamp to the bag, so it doesn't quite have 3 years of wear on it. But yes, it is dead straight with minimal fade. I can get it to turn a bit too, if I want to, which is still not the case with my beat up Totem or my relatively fresh Star that's in the bag too.

Beat Star TB's are awesome. I'm glad the Gstars seem to be so nice. I really have to try a Gstar TB (and a Destroyer), since I've been hearing so many good things about them...

I went to my local shop last week to get a stack, and gravitated to the GStar birds because they looked sweet. I went to feel them all and I felt that each disc was incredibly different. Some were super slick, some were nice and gummy. The most obnoxious part was that when I went to check flex, some were super floppy and some were moderately flexible. Has anybody else had this experience? Has anybody thrown both types of GStar and can elaborate on the differences in flight, if there are any?

I went to my local shop last week to get a stack, and gravitated to the GStar birds because they looked sweet. I went to feel them all and I felt that each disc was incredibly different. Some were super slick, some were nice and gummy. The most obnoxious part was that when I went to check flex, some were super floppy and some were moderately flexible. Has anybody else had this experience? Has anybody thrown both types of GStar and can elaborate on the differences in flight, if there are any?
I noticed this too, ended up getting a gummier one. My G*Roc3 is in that slick plastic, it feels and looks almost like it has some sorta coating on it, flies more OS than 2x Champion. Roc3 is more "rock proof" due to abrasion resist it has compared to my Teebird.

I have five G Star birds, but only one stock stamp. I noticed my stock stamp has a slightly firmer rim than the factory store pre-releases, thus it is in my bag. the purple factory store bird I have is probably the "floppiest" but it's not like a Vibram soft or anything like that. They all fly the same for me, but the purple one does tend to come out of the hand a little weird. Great for forehands for me though.

All in all, the differences are pretty negligible for me. I would have no problem switching any one of them out. But it's a preference thing. If you don't feel comfortable with the way they feel, fear not! There are plenty more blends of bird out there for you!:thmbup:

TeeBird is nice. I played a 1 disc round with one I borrowed from a friend yesterday. I'm a 2-month player and the disc is more OS than its flight numbers for me, but I put a touch of anhyser on it to help it flex to straighter finishes or use the predictable early fade to bypass obstacles.

With no wind to speak of, I didn't see that aspect of the disc. I throw ~200, and I actually focused on lower power, greater smoothness and had fantastic accuracy. I birdied a 400ish hole which I haven't before. Have had the distance but not the placement...anyway the putt was a 6" place-it-in-the-basket by hand...

orange swirly gstar F2

As my disc purchases extend into the overstable (for shot shaping utility, future growth of form, wind!), the TB is at the top of my buy list. Now, I wonder how it'll fly for my wife who's still working out some form basics.

TeeBird is nice. I played a 1 disc round with one I borrowed from a friend yesterday. I'm a 2-month player and the disc is more OS than its flight numbers for me, but I put a touch of anhyser on it to help it flex to straighter finishes or use the predictable early fade to bypass obstacles.

With no wind to speak of, I didn't see that aspect of the disc. I throw ~200, and I actually focused on lower power, greater smoothness and had fantastic accuracy. I birdied a 400ish hole which I haven't before. Have had the distance but not the placement...anyway the putt was a 6" place-it-in-the-basket by hand...

orange swirly gstar F2

As my disc purchases extend into the overstable (for shot shaping utility, future growth of form, wind!), the TB is at the top of my buy list. Now, I wonder how it'll fly for my wife who's still working out some form basics.

If you throw ~200', I'd recommend a DX Teebird. It will be less OS, which is good for you because you don't need that overstability at this point. That will come in when you can throw hard enough to take advantage of it.

The DX Teebird will start out straight to fade for you, then it will beat in to a straighter disc, and finally a disc that will want to turn right off of a flat or hyzer release. It will be a useful disc, but it will also keep you honest form-wise.

You don't want to be flexing a Teebird to keep it going straight, you want to be able to throw the disc on a hyzer, straight, and anhyzer release and get it to do what you want. The DX Teebird will help you with this.

I put my distance in my current crop of posts so (if anyone is interested), they can see how discs perform for lower power players. I appreciate the advice all the same, but I'd think a slower disc or more understable mold entirely would be the "form" answer more so than just switching to DX :) Besides, the whole 'noobs should throw understable discs' argument is predicated on the idea that they get less rotation, therefore the disc behaves more OS...which is the same idea as my 5 degrees of anhyser to compensate for the slight high speed stability...except that I do actually have some control.

I'll have to start prefacing my posts!

I did do a 1dR...so just say'in, you can shape your lines with this disc even IF you underpower it. Yes, I realize it's not the 'ideal' noob disc. I've got a glide and meteor for that.

It's a perfect 'into the wind disc' now, and (when I get my own soon) it's also a disc that will dramatically increase in usefulness as I grow into it.

Home course of Blue Heron Park is okay for DX, but I'm not taking those to Sekani Jamboree or Hanson Ponds! Total Disc Destruction!!

When I felt the GStar Birds I did notice that the max weights were firmer then the lighter ones along with a tick higher PLH. I would assume that the lighter ones were a tick less stable from PLH test. I did also notice different colors had a little different feel and flex as well. I decided to hold off for now as I got enough Birds breaking in and rotating. I think if I do get one it would be the 175, I like the firmer feel personally.

When I felt the GStar Birds I did notice that the max weights were firmer then the lighter ones along with a tick higher PLH. I would assume that the lighter ones were a tick less stable from PLH test. I did also notice different colors had a little different feel and flex as well. I decided to hold off for now as I got enough Birds breaking in and rotating. I think if I do get one it would be the 175, I like the firmer feel personally.

Temperature will also affect how soft a disc feels

I put my distance in my current crop of posts so (if anyone is interested), they can see how discs perform for lower power players. I appreciate the advice all the same, but I'd think a slower disc or more understable mold entirely would be the "form" answer more so than just switching to DX :) Besides, the whole 'noobs should throw understable discs' argument is predicated on the idea that they get less rotation, therefore the disc behaves more OS...which is the same idea as my 5 degrees of anhyser to compensate for the slight high speed stability...except that I do actually have some control.

I'll have to start prefacing my posts!

I did do a 1dR...so just say'in, you can shape your lines with this disc even IF you underpower it. Yes, I realize it's not the 'ideal' noob disc. I've got a glide and meteor for that.

It's a perfect 'into the wind disc' now, and (when I get my own soon) it's also a disc that will dramatically increase in usefulness as I grow into it.

Home course of Blue Heron Park is okay for DX, but I'm not taking those to Sekani Jamboree or Hanson Ponds! Total Disc Destruction!!

Well I'm just offering advice from my own experience. I was out there flexing my Star TB for 225' and that little bit of anhyzer worked its way into my form. It took a lot of work to exorcise that demon from the mechanic.

When you say that a slower or understable disc is better for a form check, I'll say that this is precisely the reason I suggest a DX TB. Not slower, but definitely less stable than a premo plastic TB, and it will break into an understable disc soon enough. You won't need any anhyzer to keep the disc straight and the disc should still play straight to fade for you on a flat release at your power.

You mention that you have control with your Teebird, which I don't doubt. I'm sure it works well for you. But if you throw with anhyzer every time you throw hard, you might have a tough time throwing a putter or midrange, and that's a net result of less control for your overall game. Just something to think about.

Of course, you should throw whatever you want and have fun doing it. We all have different goals for our game, and I don't know what yours are.

Do these jl TB ever beat into straight with tiny fade? Similar to gstar? Or will they start to turn too much before fading less. Mine has seen some abuse and it's great, but I'd like to know if eventually I may not even need a gstar. Right now it's still straight with fade not to 360'. I decided against the regular star teebird.

I have not had a standard JL but my brinster has taken a year of abuse and shows little sign of a different flight pattern since the basic flashing wear. It started out fading like a firebird when it was new. After a month it was fading a little straighter, still sharp but it loses glide fast as it slows and fades forward more.

I have not had a standard JL but my brinster has taken a year of abuse and shows little sign of a different flight pattern since the basic flashing wear. It started out fading like a firebird when it was new. After a month it was fading a little straighter, still sharp but it loses glide fast as it slows and fades forward more.

Those Brinsters are $$$! It's my go-to driver in the wind as the stability makes it finish like a Firebird. Although they haven't been on the market long, I feel like the JLs are about invinsible...

That's interesting considering how people were whining about Champs having way too much dome. I've been seeing a lot that are great. Not much dome at all.

Threw a dx Teebird for the first time tonight at a mini at Paschall Park in Mesquite. I think I'm going to like throwing that disc, gonna have to get some more.

Picked up a Bottom Stamp DX Teebird at PIAS yesterday. Can anyone give me more info on these? I searched and came up pretty slim. It was dirty and dinged, but after a bath and minor sanding it looks great. Threw it and was pleasantly surprised. Hard to tell in the wind exact flight but it was stable enough.

Newest acquisition :D
rYFXBvp.jpg

Latest posts