• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

So I now have broken my dx bird into a nice straight flyer with a bit of turn and very little fade. Out of curiosity, how long will it stay in this nice sweet spot (relative to how long it took to get there)....and what will change next as I continue to beat it in?

depends how much you play, what type of course, how you throw...

not long in my experience

So I now have broken my dx bird into a nice straight flyer with a bit of turn and very little fade. Out of curiosity, how long will it stay in this nice sweet spot (relative to how long it took to get there)

I agree with ranger. A couple of months at best is what I experienced. I tried on two DX teebirds and decided to try something new. Currently, I'm trying to season a Pro Leopard for that slot. If that doesn't work I might try a Star Leo.

....and what will change next as I continue to beat it in?

Mine just got too flippy after a while and would cut roll on me when it landed.

I agree with ranger. A couple of months at best is what I experienced. I tried on two DX teebirds and decided to try something new. Currently, I'm trying to season a Pro Leopard for that slot. If that doesn't work I might try a Star Leo.

That sounds reasonable. My GSTAR is starting to beat in a bit but still has a long ways to go. Hopefully by the time my DX becomes too flippy i'll have my Gstar straightened out a bit. If not - a bit of fun with a fresh dx on a wooded course or 3 and i'll have another straight flyer.

Yeah, depends on where you are playing and how hard you are throwing them. I love dx teebirds too, but if you smoke a tree...it's a possible one and done. My dx teebirds last me a couple weeks of regular play, if that.

I'm on board with the pro Leo right now as well. I'm liking it more and more every time I play. It's perfect for wooded holes, when I fell like I have to cut back on power.

DX Teebirds are beautiful flyers. I carry one and use it on wooded courses for longer (than my DX Leopard) and later turnovers. I could get nearly the same shot with a forehand, if I could throw forehand that far. I've never experienced a noticeable change in flight from a single tree hit, though I've hit plenty of trees. I will admit, that if I don't throw the DX 'bird for awhile it takes a few warm-up throws to get dialed in again to proper release angles for line shaping. The champ Teebird that rides next to it in the bag ... just punch it out flat and account for the late slight fade. The champ is money, but not as much fun, and doesn't fly as pretty as the DX.

DX plastic ... you either like it or you don't, and either is cool.

Yep, I love the flight of a fresh or slightly seasoned DX Teebird. I just don't like the waxy consistency of the plastic, the short life of the "sweet spot" and all of the edge burrs I have to sand and trim from every landing on any surface besides grass.

I think the course that beat up my DX the most was Paschal in Mesquite TX where the course follows a park road. Several of the fairways are mostly whiterock.

Agreed. DX Teebirds should be considered as disposable on rocky courses and are best left at home. I find that trees, sticks, pinestraw, and grass make for good seasoning; rocks are harsh.

so i was playing with some pretty cool people at oakwood today; one of their guys lost an 11x kc pro TB on hole 13, which i found. i asked if i could throw one on hole 17, one of the longer and more open holes on the course.

his buddy let me throw his champ 11x CA TB and i'll be damned if that thing didn't have just the tiniest bit of turn and the tiniest fade. it went clear over the basket; we thought it was going to be an ace but it was about 30' past it. probably right around (hardy-har-har) 420'. this hole is also slightly uphill. i was blown away. that thing was just MOVING and it definitely went about as far as my gstar, if not farther.

i would have to say that the gstar TB, when fresh, flies very similarly. if the current runs of flat JL TB's season up to be like that then i will need to start stockpiling. truthfully i had taken the champ TB out of my bag and was just powering down the motion as well as working the tesla.

anybody had a chance somehow to beat up these new flattish, OS TB's and see what they fly like?

also if they can make XT archangels, they need to make XT teebirds. just sayin'. i'm going through these DX too fast and the gstars get beat up real easy too. XT could be amazing.

so i was playing with some pretty cool people at oakwood today; one of their guys lost an 11x kc pro TB on hole 13, which i found. i asked if i could throw one on hole 17, one of the longer and more open holes on the course.

his buddy let me throw his champ 11x CA TB and i'll be damned if that thing didn't have just the tiniest bit of turn and the tiniest fade. it went clear over the basket; we thought it was going to be an ace but it was about 30' past it. probably right around (hardy-har-har) 420'. this hole is also slightly uphill. i was blown away. that thing was just MOVING and it definitely went about as far as my gstar, if not farther.

i would have to say that the gstar TB, when fresh, flies very similarly. if the current runs of flat JL TB's season up to be like that then i will need to start stockpiling. truthfully i had taken the champ TB out of my bag and was just powering down the motion as well as working the tesla.

anybody had a chance somehow to beat up these new flattish, OS TB's and see what they fly like?

the JL may eventually fly the same but they don't feel as nice to me in the hand.

How do the star teebirds fly? I am not going back through the entire thread to find out. Can someone please tell me. Thanks

How do the star teebirds fly? I am not going back through the entire thread to find out. Can someone please tell me. Thanks

Star teebirds, especially the new ones, are fairly overstable.
Previous runs the past few year were domey & had a hard fade but a decent turn outnifnthe box. At this time, Gstar Teebirds are the best star variety available IMO

if the current runs of flat JL TB's season up to be like that then i will need to start stockpiling. truthfully i had taken the champ TB out of my bag and was just powering down the motion as well as working the tesla.

I actually fell in love with how the newer flatter JL TBs fly since throwing one for the first time last fall and have been stocking up on them. I have a couple beat in now where I just throw them with a little hyzer and they flip up to flat and just go straight, straight, straight to 400 with very little to no fade. Haven't really tried pushing them beyond that (not that consistent at that power level currently).

Star teebirds, especially the new ones, are fairly overstable.
Previous runs the past few year were domey & had a hard fade but a decent turn outnifnthe box. At this time, Gstar Teebirds are the best star variety available IMO

^^^
I meant gstar