• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

I gave Gstar some thought but I live in Texas and thought they wouldn't handle the heat very well. Those echostars were perfect in my mind...grip was nice and the glide was awesome!! I don't have a lot of experience with different birds and didn't feel the need to experiment since I liked those so much.

I busted out one of my old 11x era star S/TB birds for some field work and man is it sweet. Sometimes I wonder why I ever even looked at another disc and then I remembered that they dont make 'em anymore like they used to. The difference between my old blue S/TB and a new AJ Sig Teebird is night and day.

I busted out one of my old 11x era star S/TB birds for some field work and man is it sweet. Sometimes I wonder why I ever even looked at another disc and then I remembered that they dont make 'em anymore like they used to. The difference between my old blue S/TB and a new AJ Sig Teebird is night and day.
What kind of Teebird do you like? I'm not a huge fan of the run variance in Teebirds, but I don't think I've thrown one I don't like. Plus with the variance I can cut down on molds. That being said, I did pick up a flat Champ Leopard3 that has a TL/beat Teebird type flight that I've been really enjoying. New Teebireds seem to have a tick too much LSS. I don't want hard dumping Teebirds, we have Firebirds for that.

I like all of them but I just find that the stock runs are too beefy for what I would carry a teebird for. I like simple straight shots that carry for a while with a controlled but mellowish fade. I can't get that from the current stock runs cuz I'm probably a weenie arm. The Mint Alpha seems to have a pretty firm lock on this spot now. Before that, it was good feeling flatish Icon Rivals. The Alpha is longer for me.

Sometimes I carry a Brinster bird or a swirly star AJ Tour Teebird if it's really windy or I need it for certain shots. But the RDG Tyrant has also been holding down that slot for me pretty well lately too.

The older 11x era ST/B just flies so reliably and controlable for me at 300 feet. It's good to still have a few around if nothing else just to remind myself of where it all started for me 10 years ago. Cheers.

I gave Gstar some thought but I live in Texas and thought they wouldn't handle the heat very well. ..............................

Don't rule out the G* until you try it. I'm in the Dallas area and it doesn't get too floppy for my taste. They start out pretty straight (but dependable) and don't seem to change much for me.

I also carry a Brinster 'Bird for more OS Teebird duty.

I like simple straight shots that carry for a while with a controlled but mellowish fade.

I've had this stock 170g Champ Teebird for about a year that I keep in the trunk of my car for spontaneous rounds. It now fits that description for me at ~330' max power. Took it to a wooded course out of town this past weekend and it was flying tight, straight lines with very mellow, nearly minimal fade, leading to multiple tap-in birdies. Really liking how it seasoned, hoping the others I picked up end up like that.

Don't rule out the G* until you try it. I'm in the Dallas area and it doesn't get too floppy for my taste. They start out pretty straight (but dependable) and don't seem to change much for me.

I also carry a Brinster 'Bird for more OS Teebird duty.

I tried a FLX Drone awhile back. Hated how it felt in the summer. I guess that prejudiced me to all grippy plastic. Have never tried anything in Gstar...guess I'll have to remedy that.

You said they dont get floppy. Does the plastic soften up at all in the heat? And how so?

Found some echostars a little bit ago that I ordered. That'll make 6 E*s for me in total and 2 DX. Think that will get me by for some time but will keep an eye out.

You said they dont get floppy. Does the plastic soften up at all in the heat? And how so?

I'm not too picky about "feel" so take this with a grain of salt; to me they feel just a bit stickier than regular star and I don't seem to notice much change with the heat.

I mainly like the way G* flies. New they fly about like a nicely seasoned star or slightly seasoned DX but doesn't seem to change much with more use.

I can also confirm that g* does just fine in the Texas heat. I played a full summer of C-Tier tour in Dallas in 2015 and a g* Teebird and g* Destroyer were pretty much my go to drivers every time. It never felt too soft even at Texas Twist or Vets in August. Z flex on the other hand.... It doesn't hold up to the heat very well imo.

I could feel the FLX Drone bending a lot in my hand on forehands and a little on longer backhands...totally turned me off grippy plastic. Will scoop up a G* bird and try one out. I read this whole thread and they sound promising (especially if they keep running them instead of hooking me on 'em then discontinuing them).

I have found most G* plastic to feel very similar to the older, pearly, semi-gummy champ plastic. It's one of my favorites right now. G* teebirds fly like a beat in, straight star teebird for me at about 325-350.

Yeah, some molds just seem to hold up better than others in g* for some reason. The teebird is one of them. It's not surprising. You could probably make a teebird out of paper mache and it would probably hold its stability until it got wet and fell apart.

Anyone else have a Nybo Teebird that may as well say Banshee on it? I can't get this thing to break in at all. Fades 40 feet sooner than any other Teebird I own.

I gave Gstar some thought but I live in Texas and thought they wouldn't handle the heat very well. Those echostars were perfect in my mind...grip was nice and the glide was awesome!! I don't have a lot of experience with different birds and didn't feel the need to experiment since I liked those so much.

I live in Arizona, get back to me on heat ;)

Seriously, I've never noticed a problem

Anyone else have a Nybo Teebird that may as well say Banshee on it? I can't get this thing to break in at all. Fades 40 feet sooner than any other Teebird I own.

I've heard a lot of conflicting stories about the Nybos. Some people have ones that they say fly like any other Teebird or are even a little on the flippy side. Other people have ones that are super overstable. It's funny because the earlier swirly Star Teebirds (the 2013 AJ Tour Series) were uniformly quite overstable, but the Nybos don't seem to be as consistent.

I kept trying to take my g* teebird out of the bag in the Okie heat but I never had a problem with the grip and feel. As others have said, a tick less stable than star or champion. The one I've thrown for several months has held up great, now I'm looking for backups. Definitely not as 'floppy' as some of the discraft flx runs.

I played in Reno for a while and it gets crazy intense in the sun. I've had dashboards in my car go melty, but everything except DX seems to handle it ok. I had to look for a disc for 20 min while it baked in the sun one time. It had my fingerprints embossed on it when I picked it up lol. Could be a good tag for a disc now that I think about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a couple of 10x Nybo's when they came out. Both of mine have flown as you described. Very little glide whatsoever. I bagged one for a season and was able to beat some of the fade out of it. Never got glidey, though. I eventually traded it off because I like the feel of the regular star plastic better and I've found enough AJ Sig Teebirds that fly almost as OS as the Nybo birds but with a little more glide and distance.

The other one is so damn pretty I can't hardly bring myself to throw it. I've field tested it a couple times, and it flies how you describe. Because it's beautiful I want to show it off.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOdz70cAKdc/?taken-by=ryan.edwardson