• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forced to use mini's

mnshooter

So I played local singles today playing PDGA rules. I don't play with mini's. The guy who runs the league says I can't flip my disc to mark my lie. I've never heard of this before. I did quit for about 5 years but I have probably played for about 7 years not including the break I took.

When did this rule start and who is the dumba$$ that came up with it? I've always played that you flip your disc. You have to play a foot farther away because you don't have a mini. Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard.. It was just made up to sell more mini's.

Rule 803.03 Marking the Lie
A. After each throw, the thrown disc must be left where it came to rest until the lie is established by the placing of a marker. This can be done by placing a mini marker disc on the playing surface between the hole and the disc, directly in line with the hole, on the line of play, touching the thrown disc. A player may instead choose, without touching or repositioning the thrown disc, to use the thrown disc as the marker. The marker may not be moved until the throw is released. A marker inadvertently moved prior to the throw shall be returned to its correct location [\i]

yup yup. Gotta either use a mini, or the disc where it landed.
I dont see a problem with it. And how often do you buy minis? It's not really a ploy to force you to buy one. Even if, they're like 2 bucks. MOst tourneys give you one when you sign up.

Im assuming it has something to do with the fact that you are manipulating your lie. With a mini, you place it in a direct line towards the basket. With flipping it, you can possibly move it to the side or somewhere different. I guess.
Either way, I dont see the problem. Usually if Im stuck by a tree or something, I might not use a mini. Depending on which throw places my foot in a more comfortable place... I.e. in a rut, or on the edge of a steep ditch

I've always played you have to flip it towards the hole. So it would be in the exact same place the mini is.

I could see how you could use the rule to your advantage to get a better footing though.

Sounds like he was just being a tightass about it. Some people like to be a buzzkill so you just have to deal with it. I had a guy do stuff to me like that during a casual round, but after laughing at him for the first 9 holes he eventually have up and let it be. I feel that if you aren't getting a better shot, or creating a easier shot then it really doesn't matter. If you have a wide open shot, it's gonna be that way regardless if you mark it 1' up or not. However, if you are behind an obstacle and end up getting a better shot because you moved it left or right then that is pretty shady and shouldn't be tolerated.

Well, in casual rounds flipping is ok. Even in tournaments that are pretty casual. Ive had TDs tell the Ams that its ok to flip the disc if they dont have a mini. But it wasnt sanctioned or anything. It really depends on how relaxed your tourney is, and how relaxed the TD is. I like to encourage em to use minis, because it'll make most novice and ams take a few extra seconds to look at their throw... PLus it helps them learn to be consistent at it....Considering that there's some REALLY anal ppl out there that might insist they use one all the time once they move up in divisions.

Most drives I dont use a mini if I dont need to. It's just faster to walk up, and make my throw. There really isn't much of a problem when your out in the open... But if someone has a problem with it, I have no problem pulling my mini out.

Marking with a mini has been a standard rule for decades ( or atleast in the 20 yrs I've played).

Usually flipping your discs is tolerated in casual weeknight tournaments but is forbidden in multi-round weekend play and of course all sanctioned events.

Personally I often play from behind my disc without flipping even in pdga events. Using a mini only gets you 7 inches closer and takes time and energy to bend over and mark. I think I putt better by refraining from the blood rush bendover just prior to putting. Not only that but I believe it helps my back since it cuts in half the total number of bends to the ground throughout the day.

I don't see what your big beef is, minis are cheap ($1-2) and even free sometimes with your entry to many events and you always have the option to play from behind the disc without marking. If this kind of thing is a crisis to you then you must have a pretty hassle free life.

It's funny how fast you generate a supply of minis just by ordering discs from various vendors(GGGT, SunKing, ect).

Donkeypuncher said:
Sounds like he was just being a tightass about it. Some people like to be a buzzkill so you just have to deal with it. I had a guy do stuff to me like that during a casual round, but after laughing at him for the first 9 holes he eventually have up and let it be. I feel that if you aren't getting a better shot, or creating a easier shot then it really doesn't matter. If you have a wide open shot, it's gonna be that way regardless if you mark it 1' up or not. However, if you are behind an obstacle and end up getting a better shot because you moved it left or right then that is pretty shady and shouldn't be tolerated.

It's a rule. That's all.

If the 7" is that important, buy a mini. If it's not, leave the disc where it is.

The problem is folks that decide to not play by the rules and then bitch when somebody calls them on it.

And, I'm sorry, but if you played a tournament where PDGA rules were being followed, you flipped a disc and somebody informed you that it was against the rules, and you continued to... you should have been stroked for every time you did it.

Regardless of your opinion of the rule, it's there for a reason and as a participant, it's your responsibility to follow the rules and *not* bitch about them.

You want it changed, lobby the PDGA or don't play events under those rules.

black udder said:
It's a rule. That's all.
If the 7" is that important, buy a mini. If it's not, leave the disc where it is.

Nailed IT! I love how people on this forum post my answer before I do so I can just type this instead.

The only time I really like to use a mini is when I want to throw the disc that I just threw. I have two identical putters that I putt with, so I never have to bend down to mark my lie if I don't want to. I've always felt (in casual/practice rounds, at least) that 7 inches shouldn't make a big enough difference if I'm putting well. In tournament, though, I tend to go away from this thought, probably because my putting skillz are drastically reduced.

Yeah, I don't think it's that big of a deal to use a mini. I actually took one of those Marshall Street "No Low Putts" stickers and put it on my mini as a sort of last minute putting coach--stupid as it sounds, I think it helps. I'd say I use the mini 70% of the time in a tournament round, almost never in casual play. The only instance where I think the required use of the mini is a bit anal is when the disc is parked underneath the basket (I mean like head bumping range). I totally see why the rule is there, but at that point, it's a little over the top...but hey, rules are rules. Just a tip I picked up--if your disc IS parked under the basket, don't bother to bend over and put a mini down. Just pull out another disc and put it in the basket. I've heard of instances where a dude will park it, bend over and put his mini down, pick up his disc, and as he's standing up, inadvertently knock the cage and drop his disc. Boom, another stroke, just like that. I make enough stupid mistakes in a round, I don't need one of those haunting me.

The rule doesn't actually say you have to use a mini. It says to use a marker and then says the marker could be a mini. If you are really going to play by the rule as stated it could also be another disc, a silver dollar, a piece of wood, a rock, whatever.

Will Aubrey said:
The rule doesn't actually say you have to use a mini. It says to use a marker and then says the marker could be a mini. If you are really going to play by the rule as stated it could also be another disc, a silver dollar, a piece of wood, a rock, whatever.

IIRC, there are rules that describe what the marker has to be like. I think it pretty much limits you to using the disc that's there or a mini.

I don't see what the big deal is. I have 4 or 5 minis and I've never actually bought one. I got a couple free from a tournament and the rest from ordering discs online. If you can't follow the rules, don't play tournaments. I've never come across the situation where the extra couple of inches helped, but I have come across the situation where it made things worse, usually when I'm right behind a tree.

garublador said:
I've never come across the situation where the extra couple of inches helped, but I have come across the situation where it made things worse, usually when I'm right behind a tree.

Yup, another instance where not using a mini can be beneficial. If you're in a tight spot, sometimes playing from the original disc will work out better for you. Keep in mind that you get 30 cm (just short of a foot) from behind your disc, whether it be your original disc or your mini. The extra 21 cm or so you get from your disc might not translate to a whole lot in terms of your actual throw, but it can make a world of difference when you're trying to find good footing.

black udder said:
It's a rule. That's all.

The problem is folks that decide to not play by the rules and then bitch when somebody calls them on it.

And, I'm sorry, but if you played a tournament where PDGA rules were being followed, you flipped a disc and somebody informed you that it was against the rules, and you continued to... you should have been stroked for every time you did it.

Regardless of your opinion of the rule, it's there for a reason and as a participant, it's your responsibility to follow the rules and *not* bitch about them.

You seem a little touchy about this subject :)

I have a mini and I use it when I have to pick up my disc. The guy I played with got mad because I used the disc on the ground as a marker. I wasn't breaking the rules, I was using a different disc and left the original one there as a marker. He was mad because I didn't use my mini to mark every shot, only on putts where I use the same disc.

I was just saying, in a casual round I could really care less if you break little rules like that because it doesn't mess up my game. But there is a big difference when playing a tournament, and I agree with you on that part.

I've never played in a tournament where people didn't use minis or the disc. I have always thought it was well known that you're not allowed to touch/flip your thrown disc; either play behind it or place a mini down first.

I only use a mini when I putt, or when the lie is very tricky on an up, otherwise i just play behind my thrown disc.

mnshooter said:
So I played local singles today playing PDGA rules. I don't play with mini's. The guy who runs the league says I can't flip my disc to mark my lie. I've never heard of this before. I did quit for about 5 years but I have probably played for about 7 years not including the break I took.

When did this rule start and who is the dumba$$ that came up with it? I've always played that you flip your disc. You have to play a foot farther away because you don't have a mini. Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard.. It was just made up to sell more mini's.

Rule 803.03 Marking the Lie
A. After each throw, the thrown disc must be left where it came to rest until the lie is established by the placing of a marker. This can be done by placing a mini marker disc on the playing surface between the hole and the disc, directly in line with the hole, on the line of play, touching the thrown disc. A player may instead choose, without touching or repositioning the thrown disc, to use the thrown disc as the marker. The marker may not be moved until the throw is released. A marker inadvertently moved prior to the throw shall be returned to its correct location [\i]

I am just starting to play tournaments this year - decided it was a good way to improve my game - but anyway, a couple of my friends are playing the next tourney with me and they LOVE disc flipping and I dont call them on it when we are just playing around. But after they registered we played a round and I told them that flipping wont cut it in most tourneys and they didnt believe me. So i played the "How many times do YOU read the DGR forums?" needless to say, i won the argument and they both picked up a mini the next day

I know its not helpful, just an anecdote

Donkeypuncher said:
black udder said:
It's a rule. That's all.

You seem a little touchy about this subject :)

I have a mini and I use it when I have to pick up my disc. The guy I played with got mad because I used the disc on the ground as a marker. I wasn't breaking the rules, I was using a different disc and left the original one there as a marker. He was mad because I didn't use my mini to mark every shot, only on putts where I use the same disc.

I was just saying, in a casual round I could really care less if you break little rules like that because it doesn't mess up my game. But there is a big difference when playing a tournament, and I agree with you on that part.

ok,.. you got me... bad mood.

I'm with you on a casual round, mark or just leave the disc. I can't see why anybody would complain about not using a mini if you just leave your disc (I do it all the time). The rule just stops flipping.

What really annoys me is that so many people play in casual rounds and do not play by the rules, then complain when they plain in a tournament and somebody calls them on not playing by the rules. That's annoying. I could care less what you do in a casual round, but tournaments and when money is on the line are different. :)

werd.gif
A lot of people don't realize that there are strict rules in a tournament, and they need to follow them or get penalized. I haven't played a pdga sanctioned event, but the non sanctioned tourny's I play there are a lot of people that think they can disregard rules and get away with it. I've called people out many times, and I've almost had to fist fight somebody if the other guys hadn't have grabbed him. This guy really wanted to fight, and while I'm not a tough guy or a fighter I'm more than willing to defend myself. But I guess this happens in every other sport, so I'm not surprised.

Also, carry a mini for those odd placement issues like where a disc lies next to a tree and placing the mini lets you get your foot in front of the tree.

I almost always throw from the thrown disc though.

I did get in trouble with a doubles partner for not using a mini.