• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand better from 150'-putting range?

discspeed

* Ace Member *
I've never been great at backhand shots where I'm either trying to make a long run, or even just hitting a line on the way to laying up. I've always chosen the forehand line if my backhand was at all obstructed and it was open. Since I've been using the Ion I've actually put in about 4 from the upper limit or outside of my jump putt range. In the field I've found that I'm considerably more accurate and consistent with the FH from this range than backhand. I can think of a couple distinct advantages that this shot distinctively has over a backhand shot if you are proficient with both.
1. You face the target during all parts of the setup and throw rather than turning sideways.
2. You literally only snap your wrist rather than doing arm or body motion, giving you much less to make a mistake on.

I have a couple of more reasons, but I think they have more to do with my personal style than universal principles.

While I don't use a flick inside putting range (less than 70 feet or so) I almost always default to a short flick for an open approach shot. I love the Pig in this situation. Very reliable. I also tend to use a flick up to 275' or so with a Teebird if the situation allows for it. Take it out to the left and let it come back. Easy to lock in on a target line when you can focus on it throughout. I also have a better feel for the amount of "throw" the disc needs on the less than full shots with a flick.

I flick a lot with the putter from the 75-150' range. I started doing it because of all the trees I was behind, then I found myself doing it whenever the gap was "kind of narrow", and now I flick even in the open. It's just easier for me.

Most likely a lack of confidence. If you can get it under the basket with those ranges don't complain and just keep doing it.
Me, a forehand is one of my worst shots but a thumber or tomahawk from that range is money if I dont like the backhand line.
It ain't broke don't fix it

backhand
overhead
roller
forehand
usually my options from top to bottom

If the shots open, i have a stand still back hand upshot that i dont use any turn, just all arm to remain accurate.

If its a wooded shot, then i throw backhand or flick, depending on the flight needed.

i prefer using a roc for flick upshots. i tend to have better control on a roc than i do a putter (its mainly due to my sidearm grip).

I am about the same accuracy wise with my backhand/flick approach shots. I dont try to run at them, but merely let them land softly just on the other side of the basket from me. By taking this approach, im ususally just shy of the bucket or in it. I hardly ever really make it past.

Just my approach shot philosophy. Less Movement = Less Mistakes

Approaches have always been the weakest link in my game. I was good for a couple of HORRIBLE (backhand) approaches per round. One day a thought occurred to me: "If I was throwing a baseball at this basket from 150', I could EASILY drop it within 10'. Heck I can put it right into a guy's glove from that distance! If I can do it with a ball, why couldn't I do it forehanding a disc?"

So I started practicing approach-length forehanding, and my short game has improved markedly. I attribute many of the reasons already mentioned: facing the target, wrist flick minimizing movement...and one other that I've not yet seen mentioned: a more consistant release point.

When you are driving (backhand or forehand) the disc is ripping out of your hand. Not so when you are approaching. You are releasing it. Part of my problem with backhand approach shots is that my release point would vary. Sometimes I'd release a little early. Sometimes a little late. That's why I was liable to spray an approach anywhere. I don't have this problem forehanding. The release point occurs when the arm extends toward the target. I find it MUCH more constistant and I never have the problem of releasing too early or too late when flicking.

My average round improved by probably 3-4 strokes after going to forehand approaches.

My problem with forehand approach shots, if anything, is that just flicking a disc using my wrist is usually enough juice to go 50+feet.

I struggle with those little 40 - 30 footers on accuracy. I usually end up 10 to 15 past. At least i can hit those putts.

I struggle with those little 40 - 30 footers on accuracy. I usually end up 10 to 15 past. At least i can hit those putts.

You really ought to be able to use a putting motion from 30-40 and get much closer than 10-15 fairly reliably. If you add a little loft to the putter flight, then you make a run and still sit fairly close to the basket. If you can't do this, then your time would be better spent working on this shot than trying to dial in a 3-40 ft forehand approach.

(I am assuming that you don't actually putt forehand, if I am mistaken, ignore my post)

Today at my handicap I hit a 50'er forehand with my Ion...I also continued to throw perfect upshots this way and I'm continuing with this religiously.

I spent an hour last evening in our backyard putting between 10' and 25' at our cheesy target. Having only played a year now (didn't play over the winter) I'm still trying to find form that works for me. Up until this point I've been using too much arm to putt the disc to the target. I watched a video earlier in the day on how a champion pro DGer putts with the straight arm technique. I tried that for a bit last night only to have my shoulder started to hurt and make all sorts of noises. I was using my legs too. But then I tried putting forehand. (I can't drive at all on my forehand but have used it on occasion to get around obstructions.) I found I could hit the spot I was aiming at more often than I could with my backhand at 25'.

As a forehand driver I feel the opposite. If I am within 200' I'll revert to backhand for my approach shorts and less frequently end up more than 15' past the basket. But since working on being a backhand primarily driver this seems to be changing. I think your less dominant driving style might be better for those odd ranged approaches just because you aren't thinking like a driver and not thinking like a putt.

Cavere said:
As a forehand driver I feel the opposite. If I am within 200' I'll revert to backhand for my approach shorts and less frequently end up more than 15' past the basket. But since working on being a backhand primarily driver this seems to be changing. I think your less dominant driving style might be better for those odd ranged approaches just because you aren't thinking like a driver and not thinking like a putt.
I have to say I kinda agree. I've been throwing forehands when I can't jump put or at least partially rip a disc. For some reason it just feels easier to control the distance and direction together at those distances with a forehand. With backhand I'd usually either over/undershoot it or totally miss the target sideways.

Cavere said:
I'm the opposite I guess. I drive forehand, and generally approach FH as well. The only thing I do backhand these days is putt, and drive with a putter

I often throw forehands at this range. Throwing lids and playing ultimate, you practice the flick at this range constantly. Or at least I did. It's also a nice throw because I can plant and face the target full on, whereas with a backhand I'll be twisting at least somewhat. I did have to unlearn some of that Ultimate practice since I threw vast majority as anhyzer and I find hyzer shots are often better in golf.

I've found this to be true also. It's just so much easier to hit tight lines and make upshots with a forehand.