• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand - Odd Man Out

Those are my hyzer discs of choice :p but I mean hyzer flips. Throwing it like you do the flick and groove for a hyzer, but it comes back and goes left or flips up to level.

Oh in that case my Orc is definitely my fav for the moment. Does everything and more!

I throw mostly forehand. I putt backhand, I use a tommy or thumber to get out of trouble and sometimes for those uphill shots. Forehand just felt more natural to me when I first started. I still work on my backhand, mainly with field practice or when I play rounds alone. I am not even close to where I need to be with it. So if it comes it comes, if not I can forehand pretty darn good I think. And since I started my DG career at age 40 I doubt I'll get to the point where I challenge KC and and his 12.....

I may be in the minority on this thread but I have a terrible forehand. I have been practicing it quite a bit but still only manage to throw about 50 percent of my shots well enough to be playable. I think it may have something to do with my wrist I just cant seem to flatten it out enought make a good drive.

I've seen one forehand putter, and he seemed to do ok with it. If you've found what works for you, and you are still finding ways to improve, then it sounds like you've got a good thing going. Personally I'm almost exclusively a backhand player, except for the occasional overhand or forehand shot.

The Pig and Rhyno do ok as forehand putters. But I've only thrown the Rhyno a few times. My pig is my approach disc, and I flick it....works great up to a certain point and then like anything else it's a tad wobbley when thrown at close range.

I drive forehand 95% of the time, I use my forehand in 95% of my midrange game and put exclusively backhand. I will use the tomahawk when needed for drives and midrange, but only when needed. The forehand flick shot has allowed me to be quite competitive and I can see my game changing weekly/monthly for the positive.

The forehand shot is much more accurate for me than the backhand and it's also a lot less stressful on my body. I encourage everyone to try it.

The Pig and Rhyno do ok as forehand putters. But I've only thrown the Rhyno a few times. My pig is my approach disc, and I flick it....works great up to a certain point and then like anything else it's a tad wobbley when thrown at close range.

Yeah I have a Wizard and Challenger that I like to use and have really done well. For those windy shots I pop out the Challenger for a more stiff disc and the wizard for those more flexible curvy shots.

All approach shots I use my putters. I can get good distance on my putters so if I am still facing a hundred to two hundred feet I just pop out the putter to finish the job.

I'm left-handed and I used to throw both forehand and backhand, depending on how I wanted the disc to curve or finish. Unfortunately I developed a bad case of plantar fasciitis (heel spur) on my left heel where I plant for a backhand throw. This has caused me to abandon my backhand throw entirely. Now I throw forehand exclusively.

I have missed my backhand throw, however, because I lost having a throw that naturally finished to the right. Because of this, I have been practicing a forehand flick with my opposite hand! Although my right hand cannot generate the same power as my left hand, I hope to eventually have enough power in my right hand as I do in my left.

Imagine...being able to flick with either hand...how cool would that be?

been playin a year now, Forehanded everything except putting. within the last three months, i finally learned how to BH, and boy i tell ya u can throw so much farther once u learn to throw BH. i will FH anything between 125 - 275, BH the rest.

Well from the looks of it, there are no forehand putters. I know I can't be the only one though.

I nailed a sick forehand putt saturday :)
I was stuck behind a tree, and could put my foot behind the marker but barely get out and see the basket. About 30' out stretched way out forehanded my wizard into the chains ^^ been a while since I've forehand putted, it felt good. I don't see how you wouldn't pass the basket though if you missed.

I understand you when you say that the FH putt seems to stick closer to where it lands than a BH throw, which is why my primary approach shot is FH. I know the physics don't back it up(the direction the disc turns and lands is "the same" either way), but I've found when I FH an approach shot and it fades to the right, it seems to hit the ground on its edge(usually around 45 degrees) and just slides and flops within a couple of feet. When I attempt it BH, it seems to pop up and roll away from the basket. It's really hard to explain, but I totally understand you when you say that it tends to die more when hitting the ground, rather than poping up and rolling.

I nailed a sick forehand putt saturday :)

One of my most impressive putts was a pretty similar 35' forehand from behind some nasty shrubbery. Being a primary handler on my ultimate team has given me a really good sense of forehand-anhyzer disc movement (I bend a lot of my throws with anhyzer-or outside-in in ultimate-to allow the receiver to catch up and prevent the disc from sailing out the back of the endzone), so I throw a lot of my upshots forehand with anhyzer and usually land it right at the base of the basket.

forehand dominant

I've been playing about eight years now and throw most shots forehand. My putting has always been mostly backhand but when the need arises my forehand is there for that too. Over the years I've learned and experimented with many shots and can throw most pretty good but always go back to the flick as my primary. If you haven't already you should try a FH roller. Also try a turbo putt on for size, you might do well with it. The midranges I keep in my bag are the innova skeeter, Cro, and Panther because the rims work well with a FH grip. I have to applaud you for staying true to your own style and you should definitely use what works for you.. just don't be afraid to try new shots, you might surprise yourself.

I drive forehand 95% of the time, I use my forehand in 95% of my midrange game and put exclusively backhand. I will use the tomahawk when needed for drives and midrange, but only when needed. The forehand flick shot has allowed me to be quite competitive and I can see my game changing weekly/monthly for the positive.

The forehand shot is much more accurate for me than the backhand and it's also a lot less stressful on my body. I encourage everyone to try it.

I would also like to add that in very tough footing and icy and slippery conditions a forehand is nice because its less dependent on footwork for distance than backhand is.

The midranges I keep in my bag are the innova skeeter, Cro, and Panther because the rims work well with a FH grip.

I completely agree. I don't own a Cro, but you may have prompted me to find one. But the Panther in particular is excellent for a FH grip, and its what I use on 90% of my mid-range and approach shots. Glad to hear someone else out there carries the Panther, thought this disc was fading away.

Latest posts