• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Rollers

JDW Have you ever played with Jerome Knott? He can throw FH rollers as far as most of us throw BH rollers. At St Patties he was even throwing them at hole 1 (normal 18), pretty controlled for how fast he was throwing them.
Colucc43 he was throwing them with Opto XXX, they would run out of steam before flipping over, finishing very straight.

So how high up(at the highest point) does a fh roller get?

I use an Yeti Aviar with a two finger FH stacked grip, and I can place it pretty accurately either from the rough or the tee with range of about 150'.
For longer rollers I pull out a JL Champion Des Reading sig. Firebird, not as predictable as the Yeti, but has better range.

What are your discs for FH rollers? What is your grip? Do you ever throw them off the tee or only out of trouble? What FH disc is most resistant to turning over?

Any disc in my bag. Typically Ions or an Envy for approach distance rollers, Axis for controlled tee rollers, Volts & Teslas for long range.

I throw them mostly for approaches in the 50-120' range with putters. There's a few holes I like to drive with a FH roller, but for me they're primarily a reliable approach shot to get under and between obstacles.

Two finger grip with the inner rim resting on the side of my middle finger.

My most OS disc is my Resistor. It's been bagged for years and its still a beast.

This old video shows my grip in the beginning, then about 2:30 in I throw a few short rollers.

This one has some long range Envy rollers. 1:40 in, 300' with a 167g soft putter lol.

Last edited:
Total coincidence but i picked up a 175 Proton Envy (I traveled to CA with zero putters knowing I was going to try some new ones). I did happen to throw a FH roller with it on La Mirada #4. Nice gradual turn.

I use them a lot both off the tee and get out of jail. I don't throw much backhand so I use them a lot on left turning holes with low ceilings. The are also great for S-turn holes that start bending right then finish left. It's all about the terrain. One finger grip - I throw all forehands with one finger.

I primarily use three disc for FH rollers :
Champ Max, KC Pro Banshee, Pro Firebird.
All similar but slight variations in amount of movement and distance - It's all about the line I'm trying to hit. I don't like extremely sharp edged discs as they seem to get deflected more by small obstacles. I also don't care for Star plastic, It has a lot of bounce when it hits on its edge and that messes with my chosen lines. Must be pretty flat - No domey discs for me.

Pay attention to this guy! Jerry is the reason I started to learn the FH roller!

I always use the stacked two-finger grip and mostly throw off the tee with a Firebird. Innova's G* plastic settles nicely and is resistant to turnover for straight roller shots. If I want my disc to fade more towards the label side, I'll use Champion plastic.

Sometimes I can get out of trouble or reach a basket with a low ceiling with an approach shot. I'll typically use a Shark here, but the forehand roller approach shots are still something I'm experimenting with. I've definitely been cruising this thread searching for the best mids to throw for accurate roller approaches. Thanks to all you folks with feedback!

Try every mid and putter you bag for approach rollers. Try standing on an open hole and throwing them at the basket from 100' out.

So I just got a Opto XXX to try for a variety of shots, and was surprised to discover it's a wide diameter driver. Don't see too many of those out there. But I did figure that would be a big help for using it as a roller disc. Anyone know if Lat has many other wide diameter drivers, or just that one?

I usually use them for get out of jail type shots or if the line dictates.

I use a split two finger grip, middle on the rim and index on the plate.

^This for me also.

I use a beat dx aviar (i.e., one of my main putters) or, very occasionally (and for no real discernible reason) a beat kc pro roc.

I played in a PDGA sanctioned league at La Mirada tonight and threw a FHR off the tee on a long hole on the back 18. It was hole 15 on our round but i'm not sure what the actual hole # is. There is trees to go through and a drainage ditch on the right. Everything to the right of ditch is OB. Threw the Stiletto 363 ft in bounds on exactly the line I planned. What an easy and safe shot.

Funny part is I had purchased a xXx earlier the day to try but totally forgot I had it. Never did try it.

Won a little funny money and bought an x-out 172 Ape so I'll get to try that too.

FH roller derby coming soon. Maybe I can get the neighbor kid to video it and put it on youtube. FB, Monster, Stilletto, Trident, Ape, XCal, Max, xXx, Nuke OS and whatever else OS I have.

I use the same two finger stacked grip i use for normal forehand shots. Also, FWIW I LOVE throwing FH rollers. I usually only use my Firebird or Zone for them but lately have been toying with the Thunderbird a bit but some of my longest throws to date have been from FH Rollers with my Firebirds... As i read over this i noticed LEGACY needs to release something i can use for FH rollers lol .. i have never tried the Rampage or Outlaw but just not a fan of rolling such fast/wide rimmed molds

Stacked two finger. Really only use it for get out of trouble. I've used Firebirds, Mortars, and other OS discs... But what I use and trust the most are Vibram VPs.

Quick but not thorough update to this post: I went and tested the Nuke OS, Stilletto, Max, FB, Trident, Monster, & XXX.

Stiletto and Trident are in my Bag already but I added the Monster back in as it was the most consistent and manipulatable FH roller. Also a good disc for other shots. In fact, if I had I choose just one of the three it would probably be the Monster.

It's an old pearly champ Monster btw. Not sure if that makes any difference. I've heard they are valued.

X1 is the best roller disc ever.... when it is brand new, I can throw one as hard as I can perpendicular to the ground rhfh and it will go right for most of the roll, and "fade" back left. (sorry for the huge run-on sentence)