• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Tutorial: How to Properly Lead with the Elbow

sidewinder22

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer

I received a request to start a thread for more in depth DISCussion about this, so here it is...

ONeill-Blog-Pic.png

I think at the pro level anyone who goes to it often enough has pretty clean form. Big jerm is probably the most FH dominant pro next to Sexton. Not super confident in this list but 1.Jerm 2.Sexton 3.Ricky 4.Mcbeth. Simon and eagle are actually doing pretty well with it lately too. Not sure what division he plays in now but Scott Stokely has excellent form. I've heard Greg Barsby is good too but haven't seen much of him.

I think at the pro level anyone who goes to it often enough has pretty clean form. Big jerm is probably the most FH dominant pro next to Sexton. Not super confident in this list but 1.Jerm 2.Sexton 3.Ricky 4.Mcbeth. Simon and eagle are actually doing pretty well with it lately too. Not sure what division he plays in now but Scott Stokely has excellent form. I've heard Greg Barsby is good too but haven't seen much of him.

These guys all have excellent forehand games, but what I think what sets Jerm's technique apart is the finesse game and the ability to work slower and more understable discs with confidence.

Barsby is another good one for sure. His go-to is a beat Eagle if I recall correctly; you need excellent forehand technique to be able to work a disc like that.

I think as time goes on all pros will need a proficient forehand to stay in the race. It's really already becoming a standard. The only ones who don't throw it are a little older and are dug into their gameplan.

I think it's between Barsby and Jerm for me. I can't decide because it seems like 2 different styles all together. Big Jerm,and also Wysocki, seems to use more "whip" while Barsby's form is very tight and compact. Both seem to be very effective as well. To each their own it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received a request to start a thread for more in depth DISCussion about this, so here it is...

ONeill-Blog-Pic.png

How to position the elbow in front of the shoulder is a great tip that just helped me a lot. So simple but so important.

The video does a great job of showing how pronation is natural to the throwing motion. I just want a clarification though, on a hyzer to flat release will the pronation naturally start while the disc is still being slung/released? For example, when I release on these planes should I feel my wrist beginning to roll through while I'm pinching the nose of the disc down and slinging it? I've had a bomb or two last time out where I felt that, absolutely crushed the shots compared to my expectations, but if I try to think about that feeling then I end up overdoing it and OATs happen. Obviously this is all passive, or should just be a result of swing timing and arm position, but I'm just wondering if it feels like the pronation is beginning while the disc is still being slung.

Also just to add in general...remember just like backhand that the lower body mechanics absolutely matter. Obviously you need the release planes and clean snap, that is the most important in FH, but to get the arm going faster you need to make sure you have a proper weight shift and balanced brace. This is the difference between throwing 300-325' as most people do in FH or crushing shots without feeling like you are throwing harder than before.

The video does a great job of showing how pronation is natural to the throwing motion. I just want a clarification though, on a hyzer to flat release will the pronation naturally start while the disc is still being slung/released? For example, when I release on these planes should I feel my wrist beginning to roll through while I'm pinching the nose of the disc down and slinging it? I've had a bomb or two last time out where I felt that, absolutely crushed the shots compared to my expectations, but if I try to think about that feeling then I end up overdoing it and OATs happen. Obviously this is all passive, or should just be a result of swing timing and arm position, but I'm just wondering if it feels like the pronation is beginning while the disc is still being slung.
The pronation happens all the way from the start of the forward swing through the follow through. It's not something that should be forced, but should just be naturally how your arm rotates from the loaded position and also keeps the disc level moving forward(and keeps the disc level reversed in backswing with supination).

Also just to add in general...remember just like backhand that the lower body mechanics absolutely matter. Obviously you need the release planes and clean snap, that is the most important in FH, but to get the arm going faster you need to make sure you have a proper weight shift and balanced brace. This is the difference between throwing 300-325' as most people do in FH or crushing shots without feeling like you are throwing harder than before.
Absolutely, you can see my weightshift lead the throw sequence and there's almost no effort with the arm, it's just a loaded sling shot or catapult.

The pronation happens all the way from the start of the forward swing through the follow through. It's not something that should be forced, but should just be naturally how your arm rotates from the loaded position and also keeps the disc level moving forward(and keeps the disc level reversed in backswing with supination).

This makes sense. It's likely that my personal form flaw was getting my arm/torso too far ahead, and releasing the disc "early" relative to my body position in order to get a straight shot. When correcting this, a straight shot is then later in my throwing motion, so I feel as though my arm is more pronated by the hit point compared to before.

Amen to that ^.

I tell you what I'm so glad I've tried to learn BH because my FH is improving greatly as a result of understanding the mechanics & in working through SW's wisdom. Concepts really translate over: Athletic position, get off that rear foot early enough, swing inside your posture, with good posture and brace (including against backside) all = sweet arm or disc lag/hip to shoulder separation/catapult (whatever you want to call it) and boom. Not that I've made it but sure improved as a result.

Regarding up body mechanics, I think it helps to think of arm as an extension of your shoulder and as a single unit, so that one doesn't get ahead of the other and get all janky... Which is basically what SW says in video and accomplishes by locking upper arm against shoulder in backswing and how his arm stays in place as he rotates...

Amen to that ^.

I tell you what I'm so glad I've tried to learn BH because my FH is improving greatly as a result of understanding the mechanics & in working through SW's wisdom. Concepts really translate over: Athletic position, get off that rear foot early enough, swing inside your posture, with good posture and brace (including against backside) all = sweet arm or disc lag/hip to shoulder separation/catapult (whatever you want to call it) and boom. Not that I've made it but sure improved as a result.

Regarding up body mechanics, I think it helps to think of arm as an extension of your shoulder and as a single unit, so that one doesn't get ahead of the other and get all janky... Which is basically what SW says in video and accomplishes by locking upper arm against shoulder in backswing and how his arm stays in place as he rotates...
Exactly, shoulders and arm are basically just one big extended lever geared from the hips. This is the same in BH and FH.

Latest posts