• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Tutorial: How to Properly Lead with the Elbow

I feel like Wysocki's distance forehand has deteriorated just a bit as his backhand becomes more and more proficient. He's still a surgeon when he flicks his harps but I would have to say that Barsby is the best taking into account both distance and touch. Koling is as good as it gets with the little flip up flick shots, but I don't think he's quite as dialed as Barsby with the full arsenal of forehands. I would put my $$$ on McBeth gettin CTP if its 370-400 ft hyzer forehand however and Doss has that 300 foot hyzer flick dialed with his force. Honorable mentions for all-around great forehand games would go to Uli and Sexton.

McBeth has a great forehand. I just watched a video of him throwing a forehand 400+ feet right by the basket. If I recall correctly, Paul has said that he started as a forehand player and eventually learned backhand. After all, he does have a baseball background.

I was working on my FH today and I am hoping to finally put all the pieces together. Forehand looks deceptively simple. Can you offer some pointers for what I should focus on? I often wonder about that in disc golf, what you actually focus on for your throws. I feel like that can become a major mental block.

I think it helps to think of arm as an extension of your shoulder and as a single unit, so that one doesn't get ahead of the other and get all janky

Exactly, shoulders and arm are basically just one big extended lever geared from the hips. This is the same in BH and FH.

This is something that's changed the way I'm thinking of my throw. It was something pretty simple I read in a HeavyDisc article from HUB a couple days ago.

http://www.heavydisc.com/2016/02/full-hitting-heavy-vs-simon.html

3. All of the above is the collapsing, tensioning, unspringing mechanism that rides along on the right shoulder. Queue up the dingle arm. I imagine that the leading shoulder has a base of weight that gets driven open by my lower body and that you can drive the above mechanism to hammer harder by keeping tension against that shoulder as it rotates.

Which pros do you think have the cleanest forehand form?

1) Barsby
2) Wysocki
3) Simon (don't know why he doesn't use it more, every time he throws it, it's a perfect shot)
4) Big Jerm
5) Sexton (he doesn't really seem to go for distance, but just very nice, consistent hyzers)
6) Eagle (probably throws forehand the furthest of anyone I've seen, but like Simon, rarely throws it)
7) McBeth (he seems to have lost confidence in his forehand over the last year or so, and it's showing in his results. He probably would have been at no. 3 in my rankings a year and a half ago.)

For Barsby, Wysocki, and Sexton, they would not be nearly as good as they are without their forehands. For the others, it's more of a bonus that they can use when it's called for.

BTW, I'm not experienced enough with forehand to rank their form. This is a rank of who I think throws it the best.

Sarah Hokem (sp?) mentioned this one time during a video where she was giving a clinic and I've stolen it for myself. She mentioned that she taught a woman to throw forehand who had a background in softball and she told her to physically emulate scooping up a ground ball and firing a SideArm to first base.

All things being equal, if you have trouble getting into an athletic lower body stance, this will simulate a feeling that many baseball players have had before and create a Nice reference point.

Sidewinder points out perfectly that keeping the upper arm locked in with your shoulders is key and we will very much help generating consistent and pain-free forehand power.

As for any complaints about dark and low volume, I'm sure sidewinder would be happy to take any donations to improve his video quality and hire a top-notch Video crew. Until then, I'm sure everyone is grateful that he's giving his insights for free!

I was working on my FH today and I am hoping to finally put all the pieces together. Forehand looks deceptively simple. Can you offer some pointers for what I should focus on? I often wonder about that in disc golf, what you actually focus on for your throws. I feel like that can become a major mental block.
I focus on throwing the weight/momentum of the disc in plane to the apex of the flight line. Just like throwing a fastball sidearm/submarine, or sidearming a football with tight spiral, or skipping stones(but angle trajectory up to the sky slightly).

Keeping the upper arm tied close to the body and allowing the forearm to rotate are totally new to me. The first I thought would limit power and the second I thought guaranteed OAT. Looking forward to having a chance this week to test this stuff out.
Thanks SW!

I have to say Sexton is more accurate.. I got to follow him at a local course.. Morley Field.. Within 300-325, he is the most accurate person I have ever seen with his firebird... Nothing flashy, but flashiness counts for nothing next to being able to repeat his efficent forehand time after time.. His follow though, especially on harder throws is probably more unique compared to other dominant forehanders.

Jumping in on the pro discussion. Jerm, Sexton, and Barsby has sort of won me over with his recent successes. Paul and Ricky are great, but their backhands and other game are so good that you rarely see them attempt the kind of "specialty" forehands that other guys (particularly Barsby) does. Tough to say if anyone is really better. These guys (and bunches of other pros, including total NON forehanders like Doss and MJ) know their forehands and how/when to use them.

Hokom is super athletic, but I wouldn't recommend folks try to learn from her form. She's obviously doing some things right based on her success against the field, but it just looks to me like she's torquing over the disc. Weight shift, leading with the elbow, etc., is fine. Tough to explain exactly what I don't like about it... maybe it's when someone on a video said that Legacy doesn't make a disc overstable enough for her to drive with. That doesn't strike me as good form. Sorry Sarah. Keep on being awesome.

Thanks

How to position the elbow in front of the shoulder is a great tip that just helped me a lot. So simple but so important.

Yes, very helpful. My forehand is inconsistent and I think this is the difference on days when I don't have it. I think on those days I have my elbow even with my torso rather than offset ahead of the shoulder as you demonstrate. Just tried ti out and now maybe I can at least be consistent. Thanks again.

I focus on throwing the weight/momentum of the disc in plane to the apex of the flight line. Just like throwing a fastball sidearm/submarine, or sidearming a football with tight spiral, or skipping stones(but angle trajectory up to the sky slightly).
Awesome. I was just doing some field work yesterday and it seems that I've run into somewhat of a barrier. Basically, I'm not sure if it's my form or if I just need to start working whatever muscles the forehand does because my arm starts to get sore if I try to forehand really far.

I started with my putters and mids, then tried a few drivers without overexerting myself. I can get some good rips with slower discs but it still feels like I'm pulling a muscle. Is this normal for a forehand n00b like myself? I know I should probably take a video to show you guys. I just want to make sure I'm not hurting myself.

Awesome. I was just doing some field work yesterday and it seems that I've run into somewhat of a barrier. Basically, I'm not sure if it's my form or if I just need to start working whatever muscles the forehand does because my arm starts to get sore if I try to forehand really far.

I started with my putters and mids, then tried a few drivers without overexerting myself. I can get some good rips with slower discs but it still feels like I'm pulling a muscle. Is this normal for a forehand n00b like myself? I know I should probably take a video to show you guys. I just want to make sure I'm not hurting myself.
What muscle?

It feels like it's around my elbow... kind of front and back. I'm not quite sure how to describe it. Maybe part of my bicep and tricep? I dunno. Doesn't feel good.

It feels like it's around my elbow... kind of front and back. I'm not quite sure how to describe it. Maybe part of my bicep and tricep? I dunno. Doesn't feel good.

I would say rest it and get video from the side when it's feeling better.

Definitely stop, it shouldn't hurt. I think I know the type of pain you're talking about, and it was the reason I gave up throwing FH the first time I tried to developed it. I was using bad form, not ever fully sure what I was doing - but the elbow pain really sidelined me for a long time.

About a year ago I started playing with a buddy who is FH dominant and I started trying to build it up slowly and correctly and I've yet to feel any elbow or muscle tinges or soreness.

About a year ago I started playing with a buddy who is FH dominant and I started trying to build it up slowly and correctly and I've yet to feel any elbow or muscle tinges or soreness.

Agreed, I had a minor bit of golfer's elbow for a week or so a while back. Rest was the best situation and I sorted out why it happened form-wise. I have more power now FH than I did then and haven't had the pain since. Of course I try to be pretty careful with my FH form and always stretch/warm up a bit before smashing drives.

Yeah, doesn't sound good. Distance throws are not really thrown harder with the arm, but a longer and looser swing motion setup from the body and arm whipped from your core(true for both FH and BH). It's basically like the long toss drill in baseball, but sidearm or backhand.

Definitely stop, it shouldn't hurt. I think I know the type of pain you're talking about, and it was the reason I gave up throwing FH the first time I tried to developed it. I was using bad form, not ever fully sure what I was doing - but the elbow pain really sidelined me for a long time.

Thanks, everyone. I'll definitely take some videos next time I'm out so I can show you whatever it is I'm doing. I figured it was my form, which didn't feel bad at first. I might have to change my grip a little to accommodate the throw. This is why I've never been able to forehand! I don't know what the H I'm doing :confused:

Yeah, doesn't sound good. Distance throws are not really thrown harder with the arm, but a longer and looser swing motion setup from the body and arm whipped from your core(true for both FH and BH). It's basically like the long toss drill in baseball, but sidearm or backhand.

I used to achieve extra distance forehand through trying to accelerate my arm faster through the hit and while it does add distance the pain you will develop in your elbow will stop any kind of repeatable progress. I imagine this is what is happening with nate. Like SW says here it is a smooth longer stride into your swing with a comfortably long reach back and full follow-through timed with hip rotation that gives long sidearmers their distance. The first time it clicked the disc sailed to 375 feet with such ease it blew my mind.

Thanks, everyone. I'll definitely take some videos next time I'm out so I can show you whatever it is I'm doing. I figured it was my form, which didn't feel bad at first. I might have to change my grip a little to accommodate the throw. This is why I've never been able to forehand! I don't know what the H I'm doing :confused:

this is just me, but i would stop, ice it, rest, maybe take some magnesium vitamins for nerves, glucosamine/chondroitin vitamins.

once you're better, focus more on the wrist snap. grip and wrist.

i think you should only be tensing up at the hand, not the elbow.

Latest posts