• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

forehand vs. backhand

"On a similar note, I am still having issues finding my distance throwing LHFH without f-ing my elbow/shoulder. When I try to throw for the chains, I think I revert back to my old FH throw. Any advice on how to lengthen my LHFH shot without killing my arm? "

In my own experience there are usually a few main culprits that lead to elbow/shoulder pain:

Lack of follow-through. Ending the throw in an abrupt manner places a lot of stress on the elbow joint. The arm should be allowed to continue to rotate across the body as far as it needs to.

Not getting enough trunk rotation. "Arm throws"(strong arming) results from throwing flat-footed without utilizing good hip and shoulder rotation. A good FH drive involves the entire body just like a BH throw. The arm should be initially propelled by the rotation of the hips and shoulders and should finish with a good wrist snap. Sort of like the wave of energy that builds up in a whip.

Simply going for too much. I can't throw 450' let alone 400'. However, my subconscious likes to try and make me think that if I just put a lot of stank on my throw, it will have a chance. This always leads to a complete break down in form resulting in a shanked throw, sore body parts and a foul mood.

for me i get a lot more distance out of FH shots. i still can drive BH and i putt and midrange BH normally. i just cant get more than 200 or so on my BH drives.

Describes my game to a tee. I know a large part of my lack of distance BH is form, but I have some physical limitations as well. Throwing FH doesn't seem to be as affected by dislocated this and that, or torn this and that. For me anyway.

Of course the best reason to develop both is the wider range of options you get particularly with approach angles.

I am still dominate FH but over the winter I plan on playing a few putter only rounds to get the BH up a notch or two.

The funny thing is BH hurts my arm more than forehand! I try to follow through and that is probably my biggest issue but man does my upper arm just get sore as hell after about 10 backhands.

"On a similar note, I am still having issues finding my distance throwing LHFH without f-ing my elbow/shoulder. When I try to throw for the chains, I think I revert back to my old FH throw. Any advice on how to lengthen my LHFH shot without killing my arm? "

In my own experience there are usually a few main culprits that lead to elbow/shoulder pain:

Lack of follow-through. Ending the throw in an abrupt manner places a lot of stress on the elbow joint. The arm should be allowed to continue to rotate across the body as far as it needs to.

Not getting enough trunk rotation. "Arm throws"(strong arming) results from throwing flat-footed without utilizing good hip and shoulder rotation. A good FH drive involves the entire body just like a BH throw. The arm should be initially propelled by the rotation of the hips and shoulders and should finish with a good wrist snap. Sort of like the wave of energy that builds up in a whip.

Simply going for too much. I can't throw 450' let alone 400'. However, my subconscious likes to try and make me think that if I just put a lot of stank on my throw, it will have a chance. This always leads to a complete break down in form resulting in a shanked throw, sore body parts and a foul mood.

That sounds about right. I can feel the difference when I throw with my whole body and slingin it with just my arm. I have to work on the whole body throw while trying to keep the accuracy.

Your last sentence = beer drinkin time!!

There is only one kind of beer that i will drink...............a cold one! have I set my standards too high?

I used to throw almost only forehand and had tons of shoulder pain trying to over power throws. Just recently started to develop my backhand and now use my forehand to get outta sticky situations. Starting to throw backhand I had to develop the muscles and went through alot of sore pecks and shoulder muscles. Now I've seem to lost a bit of my forehand power but have gained a ton of power and skill shots with improving my backhand!!! Both at great to have!!! Being able to do both well is intresting and awesome if you can pull it off

Latest posts