• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Check

I'll need to read this more later but my initial response is that every time I try and curl my back like that I end up with an unfixable hyzer release, everything comes out at 30 degrees or more of hyzer. I also just have some anterior pelvic tilt just standing, so that is kind of my natural position. I've done the door frame drill a lot and it never really helped or clicked with me much

I'll definitely play around with it in the coming days though and see if I can make anything work

You could consider doing and posting door frame drill to get direct feedback. You probably have never felt the posture difference before (I hadn't) and your body will fight it.

Can someone draw lines for Tamms 710' drive? Cause some of it doesn't make sense. I mean it looks like he has anterior pelvic tilt here and he seems behind his plant for post of the time.

Screenshot 2024-03-20 171123.pngScreenshot 2024-03-20 171104.png

Need a more lateral kick the can/ball with the rear foot. You are stepping over the can/ball and moving too diagonal or backwards.

1. I think camera behind tee will show some things better like lack of rear hip depth and too over rear toes.

2. Looks like you are in funky chicken posture - APT and spine extension/quad dominant position. You want more Cobra posture with abs sucked in and spine in slightly flexion so you can get more over the disc with it closer to your CoM.

3. Your hips and shoulders are very flat especially for how high your rear heel is off the ground. Moving slow your rear heel should come down closer to the ground to give you more stability.
Screen Shot 2024-03-22 at 12.44.18 AM.png
kick can ball xstep tilt copy.png

I spent so much effort not throwing off that left heel I seem to have over corrected.

For that Will still, I can see I'm definitely too early turning the shoulders. Also is he leaning sideways, like crunching down one side or is it a combination of forward lean and twist which points his shoulders down? Does that make sense?
Screenshot 2024-03-22 102631.png

I would tend to point out overall lean/tilt of the body plus side bend. Is there another piece you're looking at?

Ahh this is something I've always been curious, because the part I have struggled with before is that shoulder "rise" through the actual throw. So every time I've tried to drop my right shoulder down in the back swing, I can only throw like 30+ degree hyzers, but Eagle pulls the shoulder back up to 'flat' through the hit, which makes sense. I didn't realize this before these throws. I took a slow mo from behind and tried a throw more hunched and letting the left heel hit.
View attachment PXL_20240322_1740271192.mp4
View attachment PXL_20240322_1734530523.mp4Screenshot 2024-03-22 135330.png

1. That looks rough finishing behind the plant foot.

2. Your rear knee is collapsing in and moving the opposite direction during the stride/backswing. It needs to turn back outward counter clockwise. You are restricting your pelvis and relying on your rear arm to help turn your torso.
Screen Shot 2024-03-22 at 3.12.42 PM.png

Can someone draw lines for Tamms 710' drive? Cause some of it doesn't make sense. I mean it looks like he has anterior pelvic tilt here and he seems behind his plant for post of the time.

View attachment 335530View attachment 335531

Sidewinder obviously deeply influenced everything I learned and think about form, but I would in any case say I have good reason to agree w/ him and strongly encourage you to start thinking about the core, shoulder, and arm as one big postural unit.

Watch Eagle and follow the trajectory the shoulder takes relative to the rest of his upper body and core. Yes, there are circumstances where you will benefit from additionally manipulating the arm. However, I think a lot/most players get into a lot of trouble by missing the idea that there is a huge force chain from the feet up to both shoulders, and that the arm is "towed" by the shoulder in the most powerful moves. That's what "pulling/swinging", golf, baseball, pitching, etc. have in common. It's why I needed so many drill and "athletic" movement aids to learn - because I was always decoupling my arm from something else and especially my lower body moving sideways. Disc-golf-neil is deep into this now and I would never disagree that you can do things with your arm independently - I just try to teach him to look for the postural context of the arm to help understand where the power comes from. If you put too much emphasis on the arm, you risk not learning how the rest of the force chain and posture contribute to the efficient power move.
Wanted to orient you back to your Tamm question. Pay the most attention to spine & tilt in transition from the x-step landing and the transition to the plant. Look at the lumber region: looks fairly neutral here to me. You will see some variability and some people are a bit more in spine flexion than this. I would not go into any more spine extension than Tamm here because it would cause problems.
1711130450134.png

You should ignore this for now and listen to SW, but I wanted to pay forward something that just blew my mind and now I cannot 'unsee' it.

"Behind his plant": well, I would say I'm still learning the most about this specific topic myself right now but let me try this out on you. Tamm's move has bothered me for a long time because I couldn't understand his X-step completely, but I might understand it better today. I think I would say in general to be wary of copying his move specifically due to the following (his move is awesome, I'm talking more from a learning perspective because it's actually pretty sophisticated and I'm not sure it's the best for everyone):

Keep in mind that Tamm is landing in the "braced tilt" in his plant that we tend to talk about around here. That's what you want.

But how do we understand what you perceive as a lean away in transition into the X-step? I would agree it's a form of lean, but what I am trying to get you to see is the difference between balance and the overall angle of his body.

This is IMO one of the weirdest things to understand because (1) it does vary across pros somewhat in transition up to and thru the X-step and (2) what they have in common has to do with balance but it's very easy to misperceive if you haven't felt it. I literally had one of the biggest flashes of insight just today, but it was only when I got my body to access my Waltz muscle memory for the first time in the context of the move. It functions almost exactly the same (with less spine extension/more "athletic" posture). You need to understand where balance is, not just where the body appears to be. The balance is the blue line. That is what Steve Pratt or intermediate-advanced dancers teach and what SW was getting at earlier.

1711133691074.png
I want you to notice this step before the drive step and really try to understand its function. One thing that is always true is that viewing the same move in different camera angles can yield a different impression, and part of it is about how each person's weight shift works. E.g., if I look at Simon or eagle at true 90 degrees, it's easy to miss that their fundamental balance, but that has to do with some details of their bodies and how they shift their weight and balance (I think Simon's is still the most sophisticated move I've ever seen).

Tamm's move might be working well because he's still got a version of this balance in the step before the X-step (though I would agree if you pointed out that it is less pronounced & notice how tall he gets on the rear leg in transition from the step before the X-step to the X-step), but the mechanics of the move makes it very easy to miss, and part of what's very sophisticated about his move is that his balance goes more into his X-step as he x-steps. He has a version of the balance SW & I are trying to illustrate where he is doing his waltz move/"box step" and then carrying that through to rise his momentum into the x-step. Keep in mind that you can actually balance this way like Tamm even if you've got your upper body postured back like his - it's like moving very deeply into a waltz box step - I can barely do it personally and probably his body type helps there, & it's possible for some people. If you instead try to transition this way with the balance already on the front/plant leg, you will almost certainly tip over.

1711137134474.png
I might be wrong about this re: Tamm, but after today it seems more likely true than false. I am open to other interpretations or differences in opinion/curious what SW sees and thinks.

Attachments

• 1711133644227.png
    1711133644227.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yeah, keep working on whatever relaxes the posture/APT. Imagine (or better, try) the difference between running with your spine extended and balance forward over your toes vs. more centered and neutral back. Second is probably easier and more efficient. You'll probably get more knee and back issues doing the first thing, too. I tend to think/find it's also related to muscle rigidity somewhere else which just makes everything harder to improve.

You end up more weight forward, but coming off into that stagger stride you get pretty bunched up here:
1712323359702.png

I think you are still not fully attacking the fundamental balance issue SW put here

and here:

An additional part of the problem I think is your backswing trajectory isn't helping because it's not pulling you/leaving behind in a way that gets you into a fully coiled posture. See if you can let your backswing/reachback be left behind you slightly more "up" toward the ceiling, and more "East - just enough that it helps you be more levitated relative to the floor and coils your posture better in transition. Watch for it in Ricky's move:

If I were working with you in person I would be politely trying to suggest that you do more work on standstills to access some of these lessons.

Yeah it help to think of that first right step as "forward", it FEELS like I'm still walking forward at that point, even if I'm obviously not. I'm still over-striding with that left foot, with not enough knee bend.

The reason for the lower reachback point and the Seppo-esuqe hold on the disc is because through trial and error that seems to be the only way I can consistently get drivers nose down.

Standstills frustrate me because I can usually hit higher velos with them, but the accuracy is not there, and it's been killing me to figure out why my x step doesn't help anything but accuracy for the past 4 years.

Good power baseline.
Standstills are annoying
?
but you were curious.
I am a curious person in general, but to clarify it was a comment about what I would recommend:
If I were working with you in person I would be politely trying to suggest that you do more work on standstills to access some of these lessons.
Why? Can show you all the same balance issues as your X-step, just less moving parts.

1712937712664.png
1. Fundamentally I think your balance head to foot may be inverted (orange in your vs. blue lines in the other guys). As you stride off your rear foot your balance is skewed toward the front foot, then as you land in the plant you tip off the rear side with opposite tilt. Your balanced tilt in the North-South direction is probably opposite. You have some version of the problem Steve Pratt talks about here.

Follow the blue balance line.

1712937519481.png

2. Related issue: your rear hip (and posture and pelvis and balance with it) is rotating back out parallel to the ground rather than shifting back and up like Ellis or Sidewinder (or a PGA golfer or MLB pitcher or Pro Tour thrower). That's also why your leading leg has the knee and toes pointing back farther away, and knee gets trapped slightly inside your leading knee when you plant. Tends to be harder on the joints too.

3. Your rear foot is likely pointed too far back as a compensation for your inverted balance. It will probably feel bad right now if you try to scooch it more in like the other guys because you are rotating instead of shifting like walking, which puts uncomfortable torque in the joints when you are postured more like walking.

Attachments

• 1712937291667.png
    1712937291667.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 1712937455979.png
    1712937455979.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I actually tilted my rear foot further backward for these than normal based on previous comments on this thread about my left knee not getting out enough
"Your rear knee is collapsing in and moving the opposite direction during the stride/backswing. It needs to turn back outward counter clockwise. You are restricting your pelvis and relying on your rear arm to help turn your torso."
though it didn't seem to make a difference in this case, usually the femur follows the foot until the foot starts to pronate. I could record ones hitting the same speed with roughly a parallel left foot. I do need to adjust my camera as it's less 90 and more slightly ahead of the pad and I think that's exaggerating certain angles.
"your rear hip (and posture and pelvis and balance with it) is rotating back out parallel to the ground rather than shifting back and up"
I'm not really sure how to fix it and I'm not sure what to look for in terms of differences so it's hard for me to spot in videos of pros or whoever.
Standstills are annoying
?

I just don't use them much in my actual golf game, and I dislike how they are usually 3-4 MPH faster than any walk/run/hop. But my accuracy with standstills is horrible.

Also I feel like this is a better second frame of reference and you could move my first one up more? Doesn't this line up better?
1712943414667.png1712943222565.png

Attachments

• 1712942342455.png
    1712942342455.png
    207.5 KB · Views: 0
I also don't mean to come off as combative or argumentative in any of these, I appreciate all the work you and SW do here and it has helped my golf game leaps and bounds over the years, I just ask a lot of questions and sometimes I see things differently in footage so it's hard to reconcile next steps with advice.