• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Check

I actually tilted my rear foot further backward for these than normal based on previous comments on this thread about my left knee not getting out enough
"Your rear knee is collapsing in and moving the opposite direction during the stride/backswing. It needs to turn back outward counter clockwise. You are restricting your pelvis and relying on your rear arm to help turn your torso."
though it didn't seem to make a difference in this case, usually the femur follows the foot until the foot starts to pronate. I could record ones hitting the same speed with roughly a parallel left foot. I do need to adjust my camera as it's less 90 and more slightly ahead of the pad and I think that's exaggerating certain angles.
"your rear hip (and posture and pelvis and balance with it) is rotating back out parallel to the ground rather than shifting back and up"
I'm not really sure how to fix it and I'm not sure what to look for in terms of differences so it's hard for me to spot in videos of pros or whoever.

?

I just don't use them much in my actual golf game, and I dislike how they are usually 3-4 MPH faster than any walk/run/hop. But my accuracy with standstills is horrible.

Also I feel like this is a better second frame of reference and you could move my first one up more? Doesn't this line up better?
View attachment 337373View attachment 337372

Can you describe what kind of accuracy errors you get standstills? That will also help me determine if my guess about the balance is right.

Yeah gotcha, I see what is confusing. Hopefully I can reconcile.

I don't disagree with Sidewinder's point - I'm just adding that I think the fundamental balance is backwards, so your rear knee action is working like that to compensate. The reason I thought of it immediately (other than all the stuff I put in that thread) is that I had the same exact motion error in my move, and it was partially because my axis was inverted (FWIW this is a common problem). Your move has a lot of the same visual evidence, and I only knew to look for it/recognize it because I had been through the same issue myself. So I think you can look at each stillframe, but as you look at them am trying to help you see (and feel) the invisible balance difference that accounts for the motion problem. It accounts for a lot of the issues I see together in your move. When I had this issue I kept doing all kinds of compensatory stuff until we finally addressed it, so hopefully I can save you some trouble...

I also don't mean to come off as combative or argumentative in any of these, I appreciate all the work you and SW do here and it has helped my golf game leaps and bounds over the years, I just ask a lot of questions and sometimes I see things differently in footage so it's hard to reconcile next steps with advice.
No worries man. I too am a curious person. I think one of the hardest things I've learned about form development are some of the things that are just not easy to see on camera on their own or have potential multiple causes (or are invisible like balance, which can be frustrating). So I try to always remain open minded about how I frame or try to communicate the problems, and if I'm not getting the idea across I usually assume I'm not communicating well or am wrong and need to update my priors...

Oh it's not consistent accuracy issues, I generally can't hit a line from a standstill, though I have gotten better at it due to practice scrambling.

If you had that issue before I'm curious what you did to fix it and how the fix FELT compared to before if that makes sense.

That is a lot of stagger. Camera behind tee would probably show it better. I think you get more stuck between your feet instead of shifting balance from one foot to other foot. Watch how Will's front foot moves slightly inward(northeast) into the plant while you are moving majorly northwest. So his foot is moving more underneath him/inline, instead of moving out away from body/CoM/G looking behind tee.

Oh it's not consistent accuracy issues, I generally can't hit a line from a standstill, though I have gotten better at it due to practice scrambling.

If you had that issue before I'm curious what you did to fix it and how the fix FELT compared to before if that makes sense.
Focus on what SW just posted because it may help you find balance on its own.

Feels/general principle: here are maybe the most effective things I did myself that helped train the aspect of balance I think is at least somewhat inverted for you. You can do all of them over weeks/months and still make gains:

1. Learn to do that Pratt drill properly. It looks simple but people do it wrong. Most common errors are (1) not getting deep enough into the move and (2) shifting from in front/pelvis open rather than shifting from behind/pelvis closed to "target."
2. Lots and lots and lots of Double Dragon. It's like making up for lost time if you didn't grow up walking sideways. Even still my body wants to resist the tilt or shortchange the reachback/backswing so when I warm up I exaggerate it even more and then settle into a rhythm in the desirable range of motion. I think this is one of the most valuable drills ever conceived IMHO. Just takes a couple minutes a day.
3. Turbo encabulator hyzer hammer swings doing skaters back and forth.