• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Help!

I hate that I didn't fully drill in what was pointed out last time, but when you're right you're right.

It takes a lot of work and time to break bad habits and movements. I see the same things creep back into my swing over and over. It does become easier to spot them and correct them as you move on.

I wanted to post this from Drew Gibson who reviewed his own form. He talks about why he keeps that off arm close to his body in his swing and I thought you might find it interesting.

https://youtu.be/SG74OQh5W2A?t=420

I did find that interesting, thanks for sharing!

I've been mulling over both of your feedback over the past couple of days and I think I may have finally had break through when it comes to the hip/pelvis rotation. May have tweaked my knee slightly, but I finally feel like I get the 'squeeze between the knees' guidance. I was throwing things very low and somewhat struggling to put my weight in a position to throw anhyzer, but I've been trying to feel things out.

Will try to get out to film some today to see how this looks on film.

Hey guys,

I've continued studying and working hard. I feel like for every step forward I take two back.

I feel like I better understand the hammer pound now. I've been trying to rotate the shoulders to pull through, but I get why they need to be slowed/stopped now. I was out in the field trying to practice it and my footwork completely broke down. Lost 50 feet of distance although I feel like I was getting a better disc pivot. I feel like I'm getting know elbow chop though.

Would love if you guys would take a look at my most recent iteration of slow-mos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIBJb_bJwbY

Some things I know I'm doing wrong based on your previous feedback and my own reading that if you have further tips for fixing I'd appreciate:

1. Rotating to soon before weight is planted/shifted. I want so badly to begin rotation into the plant. Working on delaying, but struggling.
2. Not bending over far enough. I stay super horizontal and I'm not sure why. I think maybe I'm used to trying to put anny on high speed driver and so lean back a bit?
3. Can't seem to really pull the disc all the way into the pocket and fully get it behind my elbow. How does it feel to you guys to tuck it in properly? Does the momentum drag it there or do you actively pull in and tuck?

Not sure why I can't seem to get past some of this stuff. I feel like I get a lot of the body motions right in my home without a disc, but then when I get to the field to throw it breaks down. Do you think I'm doing myself a disservice by just practicing the body motion without the weight of the disc to leverage against?

Would love to know what you guys are seeing that I'm not though. Don't feel the need to watch all the throws, but I've got a mix of from the side and from behind shots in there.

Last edited:
Thanks Sidewinder! Just watched the video again and will focus on the principles within. That last little snippet with the shoulder hung forward and pushing arms with the knees helped me feel the reciprocating dingle arm a bit more.

Hey all,

Haven't posted in a few months, but I haven't stopped working on things.

I was hoping someone might take a look at my latest videos and provide some feedback. I've clipped four shots from my most recent field day, and I have the whole field day here for a larger sample if people have time.

My biggest woe right now is the inability to get the disc into the power pocket. I believe this is likely due to the position of my CoG. The momentum of the disc is pulled out to my left immediately and never passes close to my chest. When looking at Simon's form his upper body leans much more back (towards/over the drive foot) than mine, but do I also need to be getting my butt more towards the non disc side (east if north is targetward)? Seems like that might allow the center to be more opened up to pass the disc through, but I'm unsure. I also think I may still fundamentally misunderstand what Brychanus said when he said to swing wide., which may be contributing to the problem. I feel like I do swing wide, but in the wrong/rounding way. I've looked at that McBeth gif over and over, but I still don't think I get what I'm doing wrong.

I know there's other things I need to clean up, like the off-arm, but I think I've made some improvement on my footwork. I started feeling some progress at the last session when I was feeling my throwing shoulder almost pushing against the brace. Struggling to extend that feeling to the elbow/disc though.

Any and all feedback is welcome. Everyone who contributes here has made a big difference in my game.

Tipping off the rear foot and potentially trying to spin your body around a vertical axis.

Grab a pool cue and ride the bull baby!

nQFubPl.gif

Yeah you're letting your shoulder/upperbody tip over the top, instead of stretching and lagging the front shoulder back while driving the lowerbody forward ahead of the upperbody. You need to relax your body (shoulders especially) so you're able to lag the shoulder back, instead of tensing up and letting it come over the top.

Attachments

• InCollage_20230816_184412798.jpg
    InCollage_20230816_184412798.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for the feedback guys. Definitely see what you mean.

At one point I felt I had the turbo encabulator down, but can clearly see/feel I've gone away from it through some changes I've made. As I practice it now I feel like I have to fall a bit to land into the heel. Does it feel this way for you, or do you push all the way into the heel?

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys. Definitely see what you mean.

At one point I felt I had the turbo encabulator down, but can clearly see/feel I've gone away from it through some changes I've made. As I practice it now I feel like I have to fall a bit to land into the heel. Does it feel this way for you, or do you push all the way into the heel?
Ideally you have some "athletic resistance" leading a bit with the toe/calf resisting/plantar flexion. Leg works kind of like a springy unit like a linebacker cutting or doing skaters side to side. Heel can come down to the ground like "crushing the can" as part of the move. Ride the bull or the skater hammer swings in Turbo Encabulator are the right idea for the natural movement, but most people struggle to learn the balance at first.

Keep moving. I know it's hard with "forum learning" like this one. But get loose and don't get your weight trapped and learn natural moves like Ride the Bull. Always work on your balance. If you feel a lot of effort anywhere step back and realize that you get more out of the effort you put in by being more efficient.

Last edited:
Another follow up question for you.

As you settle into the brace and your shoulder rotation begins. How should that feel? I mentioned earlier I felt some positive feedback when I felt like I was almost pushing the lead shoulder against the brace. When I try the Aimee rotation drill I almost feel like its the back shoulder I'm pushing against the brace. Not sure if I'm doing it wrong or if it's a two armed vs. one armed swing difference, but should my rotation feel heavier? Like I'm doing it through water or something? I'm struggling to replicate the feeling I had before in the ride the bull drill. My rotation wants to happen before I settled enough into the heel to get that pushing feeling of the shoulders.

Kept practicing the Ride the Bull move over the weekend, and it prompted another follow-up question.

The plant into the heel. When I try to mimic the Ride the Bull, as I said it feels a bit like falling into the heel. This resonates with the Swivel Stairs drill feeling and so it was what I was trying to produce for a bit. I tried doing it with feeling like a running back cutting like you mentioned though, and it was quite a bit different feeling. More like a consistent pushing through, like I almost had something to hold on to in the back swing to drag through. I've been struggling to replicate it, but once when doing that I had one of my best feelings of pulling the kinetic chain all the way from the hand through to the finish. It seems it might be easier to keep the disc behind the hand until late that way. When I do the falling it feels like I'm pulling the elbow through ok, but the chain doesn't really feel like it extends to deliver the power out to the hand, which may contribute to continuing to open up early. Maybe in falling I'm still doing this tipping over you pointed out? Which of the two feelings do you feel is more correct? Is it some combo of both?

Any clarity that can be provided on the above questions is appreciated!

Kept practicing the Ride the Bull move over the weekend, and it prompted another follow-up question.

The plant into the heel. When I try to mimic the Ride the Bull, as I said it feels a bit like falling into the heel. This resonates with the Swivel Stairs drill feeling and so it was what I was trying to produce for a bit. I tried doing it with feeling like a running back cutting like you mentioned though, and it was quite a bit different feeling. More like a consistent pushing through, like I almost had something to hold on to in the back swing to drag through. I've been struggling to replicate it, but once when doing that I had one of my best feelings of pulling the kinetic chain all the way from the hand through to the finish. It seems it might be easier to keep the disc behind the hand until late that way. When I do the falling it feels like I'm pulling the elbow through ok, but the chain doesn't really feel like it extends to deliver the power out to the hand, which may contribute to continuing to open up early. Maybe in falling I'm still doing this tipping over you pointed out? Which of the two feelings do you feel is more correct? Is it some combo of both?

Any clarity that can be provided on the above questions is appreciated!

Easier to show than say!

Another follow up question for you.

As you settle into the brace and your shoulder rotation begins. How should that feel? I mentioned earlier I felt some positive feedback when I felt like I was almost pushing the lead shoulder against the brace. When I try the Aimee rotation drill I almost feel like its the back shoulder I'm pushing against the brace. Not sure if I'm doing it wrong or if it's a two armed vs. one armed swing difference, but should my rotation feel heavier? Like I'm doing it through water or something? I'm struggling to replicate the feeling I had before in the ride the bull drill. My rotation wants to happen before I settled enough into the heel to get that pushing feeling of the shoulders.

These are good questions but try not to get yourself too tangled up in them. IMO there is also probably a little variability in the rear shoulder role and action. In general, it should help you move "inside" your posture and yes, assist your weight shift into the brace. In general I have learned that as the body starts rotation should feel like heavy momentum and resisting or leveraging the disc out. It happens quickly but accessing that was an important part for many people.

Well I didn't film examples of both plant types I was asking about. When playing around with Ride the Bull and Reciprocating Dingle arm I finally started to feel the lag/slingshot/hammer throw feeling you've all been describing in other posts. The Dingle Arm on one leg was what finally made it click. Had done it so many times before, but for whatever reason this time I felt like I got it. It was like a pulling-inward and then a rebounding-outward. It felt so good I thought it best to just focus on that and try to build on it.

Got out into the field today to put it into practice. It definitely gave me a bit of a distance boost, and things felt like I'm going down the right path. That being said, I was still only able to get one throw out to 400 feet. I was much more consistently getting to 350-375, but I feel like I'm still leaving a lot of meat on the bone.

Still need to delay opening rotation a bit more and get more on the heel, and I still can't seem to get the disc to centrifugally pull into the pocket before whipping back out. I feel like I do/am trying to when throwing, but video reveals I still round/let the disc open too early. Think I might not be shifting weight from behind me enough.

I feel like I'm much better able to swing the hammer head now and am playing around with my weight distribution to guide it, but any tips you can give me to better guide the hammer head into the pocket before swinging out to release would be helpful. One question I have is, should I be swinging the hammer head to the release point (10 o'clock)? To 90 degrees from my shoulder? Or even past the hit? In Shawn Clement's golf videos, it seems like you are supposed to swing through/past the ball to release out in front. I've swung a club and disc and can get this apex or heavy feeling point where the club disc is pulling out hardest. In disc golf should I be trying to do the same as golf and have that heaviest point be past release? Seems like it should be at release for us since we're actually letting go at that point, but someone with more experience please correct me. Right now, I pump my plant leg and try to guide the weight like I'm trying to get the heaviest part of the swing/hammer head at 10 O'clock.

Here's two swings from the side and two from the back, and here's all the throws from my latest field session if greater sample size is needed.

As always, thanks in advance for the feedback!!

Last edited:
Just a quick one from me!

- I like and dislike your footwork, your x step is crossing to much for my liking and ruin your timing/posture. Would definitely try with a shorter one (barely crossing).

- timing is somewhere decent. Would be even better with a quicker x step imo

- your upper body and swing "thought" needs a lot of work (said with all the respect in the world). Your throwing arm doesn't work as a hinge and is following your shoulders/upper body and you end up hugging yourself/rounding/spinning out.

It's SO hard to find the right throwing motion.

In shortage of time, so gonna post later today!

Hey, I know my form is messed up, so no offense taken haha. Thank you for the feedback.

Interested on what you might suggest as a swing thought later. I know I need to be bent over more and bring my arm under my body more, but that makes it almost feel like I'm making my centripetal arc too vertical. Does it start vertical, and then become more horizontal as you finish the throw? Or do you just keep it vertical? Seems like so much hyzer!

Latest posts