• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fort Collins, CO

dsross

Hey folks -

My family and I (wife, kids (12, 10, 8)) are in Fort Collins for a few days. Where should we play?

Play Edora, but it might be a bit long for the kids. I would take the kids to Cache la Poudre junior high in LaPorte, about a 15 min. drive. It's a fun little pitch and putt that you will all have fun playing together. Maybe a 20 min. drive over to Windsor for a round at Oxbow. Anything else in the area is barely worth playing, IMO. Ft Collins deserves a lot better.

Your wife sure is young. Y'all might try River Ranch near Loveland, just off I-25 for a short, open course. Edora is a must play for you.

Play Edora, but it might be a bit long for the kids. I would take the kids to Cache la Poudre junior high in LaPorte, about a 15 min. drive. It's a fun little pitch and putt that you will all have fun playing together. Maybe a 20 min. drive over to Windsor for a round at Oxbow. Anything else in the area is barely worth playing, IMO. Ft Collins deserves a lot better.
My inlaws are in Fort Collins. I agree with this guy. Cache la Poudre is a nice woodsy pitch and putt.

I would also check out Oxbow. It's a pretty little course.

I haven't played Edora since the redesign.

Last edited:
Edora is always fun, and oxbow is a great course. Just an FYI on oxbow it just got done being flooded and is decent shape, but the skeeters are viscous.

Thompson river ranch was not mowed the last time I was there so....

Clp is the best family one around you.

Hughes stadium/aggie greens will give you all the bomber drivers you want, but that's about it.

If you get a free morning, go check out sundance, about 40 north and in the mountains. Great 18 hole course.

It's funny, when we started dating (15+ years ago) people did think she was 12 or so. She looks very young for her age.

Edora was a pretty cool course for where it was if I remember correctly. Your kids can also go rip up the skatepark there. Though there are some much better ones in the area that one will likely be pretty quiet.

We're up in Estes Park tomorrow and I saw that YMCA of the Rockies has a course. Any comments on it? Is it a $15 per person fee?

It is $15, but it includes a full day pass for all activities there. The course is nice and fun, but not amazing.

Necro-bump!

I've got interviews for jobs in both Fort Collins and Ogden, UT. I've been to both towns before and disc golfed in both locations. Northern Utah has a lot of decent course to offer. My experience in Ft Collins though...it left a lot to be desired when it comes to disc golf. I played Edora Park when on a business trip a couple months ago and was not at all impressed.

So help me out, FoCo locals! Please tell me there's some hidden disc golf gems elsewhere in town. I'm excited by the prospect of moving to Ft Collins for everything except disc golf, but I'd be pretty bummed to move to a city that is bereft of even a couple average courses. The town has so much to offer...it can't possibly be *that* bad for disc golf, can it?

Necro-bump!

I've got interviews for jobs in both Fort Collins and Ogden, UT. I've been to both towns before and disc golfed in both locations. Northern Utah has a lot of decent course to offer. My experience in Ft Collins though...it left a lot to be desired when it comes to disc golf. I played Edora Park when on a business trip a couple months ago and was not at all impressed.

So help me out, FoCo locals! Please tell me there's some hidden disc golf gems elsewhere in town. I'm excited by the prospect of moving to Ft Collins for everything except disc golf, but I'd be pretty bummed to move to a city that is bereft of even a couple average courses. The town has so much to offer...it can't possibly be *that* bad for disc golf, can it?

Yes, it can. FTC is my hometown, and i've been frustrated for many years about the state of DG in FTC. Like you said, the area has so much going on but the courses are just meh at best.

If you're willing to drive an hour though there are some much better options. Ft. Morgan is about an hour east and has two quality 18 hole courses in the same park. If you drive an hour Northwest Red Feather Lakes has a couple of private courses on dude ranches that are worth the trip, but those will likely be closing soon for the season if they're not already. There's a couple of decent options in Denver, but nothing all that great down there, either, unless you head up to the Conifer area. Then you're getting close to DG heaven.

Yes, it can. FTC is my hometown, and i've been frustrated for many years about the state of DG in FTC. Like you said, the area has so much going on but the courses are just meh at best.

If you're willing to drive an hour though there are some much better options. Ft. Morgan is about an hour east and has two quality 18 hole courses in the same park. If you drive an hour Northwest Red Feather Lakes has a couple of private courses on dude ranches that are worth the trip, but those will likely be closing soon for the season if they're not already. There's a couple of decent options in Denver, but nothing all that great down there, either, unless you head up to the Conifer area. Then you're getting close to DG heaven.

Dang, that's unfortunate. I typically play a quick 18 holes after work 3-4 times per week as a way to stay active. It'd be tough to justify driving an hour out of town on a weeknight (especially since I've got young kids). I'm fine with that drive on a Saturday morning, but that's a tough pill to swallow for weeknights.

Is there any word of Discmania maybe developing some courses in the area since they just moved to Wellington? As a midwesterner, I kind of expect to see a Dynamic Discs type "grow the sport" influence on the local scene once a company has gotten settled in town. DD has turned Emporia, KS into a disc golf mecca. Would be awesome to see Discmania fill that huge void in Wellington/Fort Collins.

That's the first I've heard about Discmania to Wellington. That's seems a bit strange to me, why Wellington?? There's absolutely nothing in Wellington other than a gas station and a liquor store, lol.

FWIW, there is a half-way decent course in Wellington, but as far as DM goes, it can't be a bad thing for them to be a presence in the area. I've come to the conclusion that the DG scene in FTC almost has to be due to a weak presence of an organized local club/group.

FWIW, weak local courses sometimes tend to grow on you after you've played them for awhile, so there might be enough decent options in that area to not make the weak DG a deal-breaker, Ft. Collins is a great place to live. **but the trains passing through the middle of town 3/4 times per day will drive you nuts, lol**

FWIW, weak local courses sometimes tend to grow on you after you've played them for awhile, so there might be enough decent options in that area to not make the weak DG a deal-breaker, Ft. Collins is a great place to live. **but the trains passing through the middle of town 3/4 times per day will drive you nuts, lol**

Yeah, I really liked Ft Collins when I was there for a week earlier this year. And Estes/RMNP is one of my favorite places on earth, so there's definitely a lot to love about the area surrounding FoCO too. There's infinite fun options for weekends. I just need to find somewhere to stretch my arm out on weekdays and get some steps in. I can lower my standard a bit. Edora is just annoying because it's so incredibly busy/crowded and it's not even good enough to warrant how busy it is. I guess in theory I could just play the back half of Edora a couple times quick and skip the front...it didn't seem like anyone played the back when I was there.

I'd theoretically be working on the south side of campus, so ideally we'd find a home on the west side of either Ft Collins or Loveland and just not have to worry about crossing the train tacks for the morning commute. Those trains are brutal! Man they take forever and wreck traffic.

One problem I find with Fort Collins is that many of the courses are at schools. During the summer this doesn't seem to be an issue, but during the school year it could be since access to the school grounds isn't always allowed.

The neighborhood around Edora seems to be in a constant state of construction the past two summers, and Wellington was also like this when I played it late last summer...a lot of housing has started going in on the Front Range in the past few years.

If you want to stretch your arm out, Hughes Stadium has some lengthy shots, but the course is mostly set up in an open field. Some elevation changes help keep things interesting, but it's still mostly empty without many obstacles.