• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

From chicago to philly

Buchajs1

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I am driving from chicago to philly on thursday. Is there any good courses that are not far off our route. I do not want to divert much because it is such a long haul. I am going via I-90 to the penn turnpike.

Last edited:
If you let me know when, I'd be happy to show you Moraine state park, Deer Lakes, or Knob hill near Pittsburgh, Pa. Knob is definitely the least exciting, but the closest (still a good course, just not epic like deer lakes and moraine are). Deer lakes takes a couple smaller roads to get too, but is pretty close to 76 and Moraine is the most out of the way, but still a great course.

I had deer lakes in mind just wanted to see if there were other options. I think i will end up playing deer lakes, just wanted some other possibilities

What highway are you taking into Philly? I-76 or are you coming more north? I just did the trip in the opposite direction in May. Lemon Lake in Indiana is right off of I-80 where PDGA worlds are. I played that before I went into Chicago. Let me know your answer and I can direct you. I play all over PA.

I-76 through all of PA is a toll road.. So, if you want to jump on and off, the closest options are:

1. Gifford Pinchot State Park outside of Harrisburg. You'd take the exit onto I-83 for that. They have a short Boulder Woods course, and a very tough Quaker's Challenge course.

2. Roland Park in Akron, PA. You'd take the Denver exit off of I-76. I can't seem to track down the exit number. It's a 27 hole course, I believe 11 or 12 open holes that traverse around a heart shaped pond, and 15 in the woods. Either two sets of tees or one tee/two baskets. Only focus on the more recent reviews, as they have done a lot of re-design/course maintenance lately to make it a top notch course. It used to be a navigation/schule nightmare. PRINT A MAP, as they do not always have next tee signs and/or there are multiple options.

I'd say both are no more than a 20 minute drive off of I-76.

If you do not want to jump off of I-76, when you get to Philly, what most claim is the 2nd oldest course in the world is housed at Sedgley Woods in East Fairmount Park. It's near the zoo. But, make sure you don't go in the wrong neighborhood. It gets sketchy. 27 holes, 3 sets of tees, HISTORY! And, a very friendly vibe going on around there.

Thx for the input. I live in nj on my way back so i was more looking for some courses that i wouldnt be able to play otherwise.

Then go to Lemon Lake in Indiana. That is no more than 15 minutes off I-80. 4 courses (technically 5 as gold/silver is one course but two very distinct tee boxes), ridiculously manicured, can't go wrong. I regret only playing Blue (the most open course) and Gold. I wish I could have played Red. White didn't look like anything special.

If you need to make a stop in Toledo for any reason, Woodlands Park is less than 5 minutes off of I-80/I-90 at the I-75 exit in Perrysburg. There's plenty of eats near there as well. If you'd get there before 10AM I could possibly meet for a round.

Finlay, I've done most of that drive probably 20 times round trip. Skip Ohio, there is nothing great along the OH turnpike. Lemon Lake isn't far from Chicago, probably 15 minutes from I-80/65. Play either the blue or yellow course(s). Near Pittsburgh you have 3 very good choices, Knob is 5 minutes from the PA turnpike, Moraine is just south of I-80/79 (stay on 80 instead of 76 in Ohio) and Deer Lakes is 15-20 minutes from exit 48 on the PA turnpike. Most golfer prefer Moraine but I like Deer Lakes better. Print a course map ahead of time for any of these!