• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chicago -> Philadelphia Mid-September

Bush122

Hi everybody,

Moving away from the Chicago area in September and driving to see family in Philly on the way. Looking to make a trip of it and stop at some courses with a buddy. We're thinking ~4-5 days, but would adjust if we like the courses we could hit.

Planning on starting at Northwoods in Morton IL, then working our way to Idlewild. From there not sure yet. Would love any recommendations - Pittsburgh area? On the way to Idlewild? Hidden gems somewhat along the way?

TIA!

Hi everybody,

Moving away from the Chicago area in September and driving to see family in Philly on the way. Looking to make a trip of it and stop at some courses with a buddy. We're thinking ~4-5 days, but would adjust if we like the courses we could hit.

Planning on starting at Northwoods in Morton IL, then working our way to Idlewild. From there not sure yet. Would love any recommendations - Pittsburgh area? On the way to Idlewild? Hidden gems somewhat along the way?

TIA!

Pittsburgh area for sure. Ton of outstanding courses there: Deer Lakes, Moraine, North Boundary, etc.

It would be a shame not to play Whippin' Post and The Woodshed in Paw Paw, WV on the way.

Nice run of courses from western PA to Philly. Depending which way you drive, highlights could include Ditto Farms, Pinchot SP - Quaker's Challenge (also Boulder Woods on site), Patapsco Valley, Muddy Run (must-play), Mill Brook (in MD) and Iron Hill (in DE).

Ton of fine courses in the Philly area, too: Jordan Creek, Tyler SP, Camp Sankanac (but check limited hours), Stafford Woods in NJ, etc. etc.

You could easily spend more than 4-5 days on this trip. Good luck!

Pittsburgh area for sure. Ton of outstanding courses there: Deer Lakes, Moraine, North Boundary, etc.

It would be a shame not to play Whippin' Post and The Woodshed in Paw Paw, WV on the way.

Nice run of courses from western PA to Philly. Depending which way you drive, highlights could include Ditto Farms, Pinchot SP - Quaker's Challenge (also Boulder Woods on site), Patapsco Valley, Muddy Run (must-play), Mill Brook (in MD) and Iron Hill (in DE).

Ton of fine courses in the Philly area, too: Jordan Creek, Tyler SP, Camp Sankanac (but check limited hours), Stafford Woods in NJ, etc. etc.

You could easily spend more than 4-5 days on this trip. Good luck!

Managed to get to Iron Hill & Stafford when I was back for Christmas time. Absolutely loved them.

We're starting out the trip in the Chicago area so I can show my buddy some of the local courses, then going down to Morton. Definitely thinking of Muddy Run already too. Now looking at it, maybe it makes sense to book it to Pittsburgh after Idlewild and spend 2 days there. Or a day and a half and cover some courses in PA. So many choices!

Ryan C Kelly Green Monster is another SE PA course you should check out. Opening in 2020, it helps fill the huge void in the area left when Nockamixon closed.

I've driven btw Philly and northern Indiana 40+ times, Pittsburgh is a GREAT DG area. Deer Lakes is my fav but Moraine and under rated Knob Hill are great too. N Boundary is the newest and a monster of a course. Big Beaver is a little out of the way but is nice too. Muddy Run 1.5 hrs from Philly is truly terrific.

Ryan C Kelly Green Monster is another SE PA course you should check out. Opening in 2020, it helps fill the huge void in the area left when Nockamixon closed.

Played that around Christmas too! Huge fan, amazing combination of elevation and woods. We were thinking about capping off our trip there again!

Faylor Lake is an hour from Harrisburg should your routing take you that direction.

Otherwise, what Monocacy said

Muddy Run 1.5 hrs from Philly is truly terrific.

The only negative is that it is literally in the middle of nowhere. Great course. About 45 minutes away from civilization. :D

Also Coyote Hills in Carlisle is in nice shape, and just off I-81. Pretty centrally located between Pitts and Philly.