• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fully crossing the OB threshold

aren

Bronze level trusted reviewer
Looking up OB rulings after our card had a split decision last weekend, I stumbled across the quoted ruling below. I've been under the impression for the last 20+ years that only some part of the disc needs to cross the OB threshold for it to count as coming in bounds. Which makes sense, because even if your disc comes to rest partly in bounds, it's in bounds.

But this is saying the disc needs to fully cross.

I mean, even Ian and Philo made the comment on coverage this past weekend where a disc on 18 touched just in bounds, so the person would be able to mark it up there.

QA-OB-7: The rules say you can mark relative to where the disc "last crossed into OB". At what point does that happen? For example, a disc may fly above the OB line for a while. Is that point where part of the disc first crossed the line, or when the enti[re disc crosses?]

It's when the entire disc crossed the line. To be super-technical, since the disc is a circle, there will be a single point of last contact with the inner edge of the OB line. That is the point you use for marking.

Am I reading this right? This just threw me off considering I had never heard this before.

https://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/questions-and-answers#t5601n237911

that is refering to a disc going out of bounds, not comming back in bounds (last contact).

Last edited:
that is refering to a disc going out of bounds, not comming back in bounds (last contact).

Chevis has it correct....the rule you quote is concerning the disc going Out of Bounds...not about being inbounds.

QA-OB-7: The rules say you can mark relative to where the disc "last crossed into OB". At what point does that happen? For example, a disc may fly above the OB line for a while. Is that point where part of the disc first crossed the line, or when the enti
It's when the entire disc crossed the line. To be super-technical, since the disc is a circle, there will be a single point of last contact with the inner edge of the OB line. That is the point you use for marking..

From the bolded part above it discusses the disc GOING OB. It is only OB when the entire disc has gone OB.

It is inbounds when any part of the disc is inbounds.

IMHO, this is the simplest and best way to explain it.
It is inbounds when any part of the disc is inbounds.
All that matters is, when the disc comes to rest, is any part of it inbounds?

Missed mandos not withstanding, it doesn't matter what path it took to get there. All that matters is whether it comes to rest with some part of it inbounds.

Latest posts