• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gap between disc speeds

I have a Soccerfield ( we dont have many "football plays with the hands" field i Sweden hehe) and it IS 65x105m ( 213x344ft) and i VERY rarely throw past the goal line.

But very rare that the field is empty so mostly throw from the long side of the field trying to hit the smaller soccer goals with a putter..very fun :) ( and it have made me really good inside 220ft

Looking at the results of the Long Drive Contest at Pro Worlds 2018. .only 3 players broke 500ft.
GG and Paju throw 489ft. . Barela 468ft and Conrad 438ft

So if most of you here throw +400ft. . go play Worlds in 2019 ;)

But back on topic. .it would be interesting to se a player like Paul or Ricky throw a Putter, mid, fairway and driver for distance and se how much they differ for them

Also you got to think there is a huge difference in being able to throw a distance and being able to throw that distance accurately and consistently. My buddy can throw sidearms into the 450+ range but you give him 10 throws on a hole and maybe 1 will hit the fairway. I try to list my distances as controlled distances personally. I think a proper max distance shot line will net ~10-25% more distance than a hyzer shot.

I believe these distances people put up personally, but I think you shouldn't look at them as such an accomplishment alone. My other friend use to throw backhand 300 and one day he decided to get better at disc golf so he started playing more. 2 weeks later he is pushing 500 in a field. Now he is on tour. Some people just have a lot of natural athletic ability, and distance comes easily to them. But distance alone doesn't make you good. Accuracy, consistency, and shot choice play a huge role in "skill" /rating level.

But back on topic. .it would be interesting to se a player like Paul or Ricky throw a Putter, mid, fairway and driver for distance and se how much they differ for them

I would like to see this for the Lizotte, Koling, Barsby, and Paju as well. I think it would be neat

Looking at the results of the Long Drive Contest at Pro Worlds 2018. .only 3 players broke 500ft.
GG and Paju throw 489ft. . Barela 468ft and Conrad 438ft

Those long drives contest depends a lot on the conditions. If I believe the little video on this resume (Second video of the page), they had a strong headwind. Most of these guys would have thrown over 500' in calm condition.

Not saying that every one here that said they throw 400' does but it's not something that hard to achieve. I've been playing since last year and I can't reach 400' yet but I'm not surprised since my form is far from good and is not consistent either.

Yes it depends a lot on the conditions. .but i sometimes feel that alot of amateurs on the webb ONLY talkes about their best shot ever. . .the "light downhill, perfect wind and ONE after +50 attempts" shot when they talk about " o i can throw over 400ft, easy"

Then you ask them to do it in one try on flat ground i calm wind . . .

I´m not saying that LOTS of people can consistently throw +400ft on flat ground. . . but many says they can just because they made it a handfull of times.

I think many makes the "mistake" that if we get asked how far we can throw we say the longest we ever thrown that one "perfect time" . . i know i have

I think many makes the "mistake" that if we get asked how far we can throw we say the longest we ever thrown that one "perfect time" . . i know i have

That's like the difference between where you live and where you've traveled to. Got to accept that lots of people do that sort of thing and it's all up to them and what they think matters.

The long drive contest I bet was headwind as someone said. I've personally seen pro's throw hyzer to flat to hyzer ending shots in the 500' range, first try late in a tournament. Also a local hole that I've played numerous times that is in the 430'ish range and I have to throw a FH hyzer flip or flex FH at perfectly (it's a weird shape so this lets me even play it a little bit downward and easier than it would be if it were a flat shot) to even get a jump putt at I've seen pro's take a pure BH hyzer up around the outside and land behind it. Yeah the disc landed like 40' past mine, but that shot takes another 100' of power in that situation. I can kind of "get there" barely on my best shots possible, they can just throw an easy consistent line. Definitely not as simple as looking at the distance of a throw or hole and saying you can compete with that.

Last edited:
I am more likely to believe people's distances on here because people who post in this forum are more likely to focus on things like form. There aren't as many "casual" players here.

However, I don't believe the majority of people here are accurate with those throws. My only 500' throws were probably another 100' to the right of where I thought I was going to throw. (thought I would throw to, not where I was throwing) Most of my 400' throws are probably around the same. I'm only confident in hitting circle 1 from around 350' away and only with a Teebird. And honestly, that is the only time I'm confident hitting a certain zone. I find hitting lines easier.

Reading through the thread I'm kinda interested in the true gap throw to throw with on disc.

I've just thrown a couple rounds on my home course with mid-ranges but then on the longer holes also threw a few distance drivers on the holes i normally throw them. up-hill, down-hill and wind make a huge difference but this AM arm still has more inconsistency throw to throw to really declare a good distance from any speed class.

Almost like my distances with discs i throw are like
putters 250-300
Mids - 280-350
Speed 7-9 = 320 - 380
Distance Drivers 320 - 410

those are accurate and non-accurate throws... some on the long side are really accurate and some on the short side miss my line by 50+'. I've thrown several throws way over 450' but lots of down-hill, tail-wind factors involved. With the right wind two of my longest throws are slight down hill with eagles, exodus and evidence. I think my longest ever throw was google mapped at 475'... super wind aided a wraith that should have landed about 360' and got lifted up and carried by the wind 200' from where it should have landed.

Anyway point is. I could go out and throw 5 similar discs for distance and put them inside a 30' circle at a distance in the middle of the ranges above. pick up those discs go back throw them again and spray them all over the place and have one shorter and one longer than the distances mentioned above.

Warden= 180ft
Buzz= 215ft
Diamond= 250ft

I guess after reading this thread my 2 biggest questions would be:

1) Do theses distances mean I have poor form or do I need to just throw more with the same form and the distance will come on it's own?

2) It has been suggested to me by some of the guys that I play with that I should go with more understable discs, especially the drivers and mids. When I do this, how will I know when I'm ready for more overstable molds?

The next time I go out for field practice I will likely be throwing Roadrunners, Sidewinders, and Comets. I really never spent any time throwing any of those.

1) Do theses distances mean I have poor form or do I need to just throw more with the same form and the distance will come on it's own?.

Only a very very small handful of people would need to just keep throwing with their same form and get longer naturally and good chance they would start with double your distance. The only ones I've known were very good baseball players who were switch hitters.

Best thing for you to do is film yourself and start a thread in the form critique section. My guess based on distance and the suggestion to throw understable is balance and grip are your two good immediate needs for fixing. A diamond is pretty damn understable so should be one to work with.
Form issues don't generally fix themselves on their own and getting discs to make up for form shortcomings only cements in the bad habits making it harder to break.