• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Getaway

Monkeypaws

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
So it appears this disc never got a thread of its own.

From what I've read, it falls between the Escape and the Felon.

I ordered one up the other day, but have yet to receive it.

Any body throw one of these? What do you think of it?

I've got a Biofuzion 166g in the bag most days and also have a Lucid and heavier Bio, as well. Feels like an Escape with a higher PLH, and flies like an overstable Escape or a Thunderbird, depending on your frame of reference. Definitely a different feel than a Felon. It's a very nice disc, especially after it beats in some. Mine has lost some HSS but still has all of its LSS; I literally have never turned it all the way over, even when throwing hard and into the wind. Granted, it has so much glide that it's really tough to control in a firm headwind or right to left crosswind, but it's not going to flip over on you either.

I throw a Felon for controlled hyzers and when the wind picks up, so that I can capitalize on its relative lack of glide. I throw Escapes as my workhorse fairways. The Getaway comes out when I'm afraid I might flip an Escape, but I need more distance than a Felon.

I've got a Biofuzion 166g in the bag most days and also have a Lucid and heavier Bio, as well. Feels like an Escape with a higher PLH, and flies like an overstable Escape or a Thunderbird, depending on your frame of reference. Definitely a different feel than a Felon. It's a very nice disc, especially after it beats in some. Mine has lost some HSS but still has all of its LSS; I literally have never turned it all the way over, even when throwing hard and into the wind. Granted, it has so much glide that it's really tough to control in a firm headwind or right to left crosswind, but it's not going to flip over on you either.

I throw a Felon for controlled hyzers and when the wind picks up, so that I can capitalize on its relative lack of glide. I throw Escapes as my workhorse fairways. The Getaway comes out when I'm afraid I might flip an Escape, but I need more distance than a Felon.

Agreed. Excellent analysis!

I throw 166g BioFuzion Getaways as OS complements to 166g BioFuzion Escapes. Once the Getaway beats in, it flies very much like an "Escape Pro", straight with a solid fade. Keep a Felon like (low glide) disc for the wind, cause the Getaway glides so nice...

Agreed. Excellent analysis!

I throw 166g BioFuzion Getaways as OS complements to 166g BioFuzion Escapes. Once the Getaway beats in, it flies very much like an "Escape Pro", straight with a solid fade. Keep a Felon like (low glide) disc for the wind, cause the Getaway glides so nice...

Looks like we throw nearly identical fairways, based on your sig. I love my Hatchet too, and it's in the bag probably 80%-90% of the time. Unless I'm playing a course where I know I won't need much flippy stuff, then I figure I'm fine with either a Hatchet or Vanish but not both.

Oh, forgot to mention that the Getaway is like a secret weapon for spike hyzers. When thrown high and from a deep hyzer this thing goes further than any other disc in my bag on that line. I used to struggle with the uphill-and-around-a-tree-but-gotta-finish-left shot. Then I got a Bio Getaway, which is a cheat code for that line.

I just bought a 173g Biofuzion Getaway. Seems like it fits nicely in the lineup between my lucid-x Convict and Fuzion Escape.
Just waiting for it to breakdown and become a bit more straight.

Looks like we throw nearly identical fairways, based on your sig. I love my Hatchet too, and it's in the bag probably 80%-90% of the time. Unless I'm playing a course where I know I won't need much flippy stuff, then I figure I'm fine with either a Hatchet or Vanish but not both.

Yep, I bag the Hatchet 100% of the time. As a LHBH player with a utility-only FH, the Hatchet is an essential tool for all the left turning fairways I encounter... :D

I bag two 168gm Fuzion Getaways, One 170gm Bio Felon, and two Lucid Escapes. I feel like the Getaway falls right in the middle of the Felon and Escape, AS FAR AS FADE is concerned. I can get my Getaways out on a STRAIGHT line Much further than the Felon, but the Getaway still dumps really hard at the end of its flight, unlike the Escape. But, I can only get my Escapes out to 330ish ft right now, where my Getaways are a 300 ft disc for me, because of the reliable fade. Really cool flight to this disc, for what I need with wind, stability, and Fade.

I've been sitting on one of these for a while, but until today had never thrown it. Took it out to the course for a couple rounds and used it on a bunch of holes that were 350'+. Fuzion plastic, 174g. Pretty good dome on this disc. Rim is a touch shallower than a Thunderbird.

Its a fine "tweener" driver. Very much like a Thunderbird in flight. By tweener I mean its right on the edge of being a long fairway driver or a short distance driver.

Very consistent flights. No high speed turn. The Getaway likes to be thrown very hard, and won't bleed right at all. Little bit of a pronounced fade. If you throw the Getaway lightly or poorly it'll dump left pretty hard and prematurely. I figure to really get this disc up to speed you'll need 350'+ power consistently. Not a disc for weak arms or new players. It also isn't a disc that likes to be finessed. I found that all my best shots with the Getaway were full power rips. Glide is good. I thought the Getaway had a touch more glide than the Musket.

Very comparable to a Thunderbird. Same speed, glide, and general flight path. Anyone who already bags (and is happy with) Thunderbirds will find the Getaway redundant. The Getaway is a stable to somewhat overstable driver. It handles wind well and I found it to be easy to dial in for accuracy. One of DD's better driver offerings, and I liked it a whole hell of a lot better than the Escape (too flippy). It seems DD is finally learning how to produce discs that actually fly like the numbers they're given.

Getaway: 9, 5, 0, 3. MAYBE -0.5 on high speed turn if you really murder it. I wasn't seeing much (if any) turn on this disc. Somewhat dumpy fade, but the Getaway will hold a straight path for most of its flight before fading. I was putting the Getaway anywhere from 350' to 400' pretty consistently. Its a disc that loves to be thrown hard. You can absolutely lean into this thing and it'll respond favorably with extra distance, but without bleeding right. I'd much recommend this driver to guys who throw DD and want something like a Thunderbird.

Yep, I bag the Hatchet 100% of the time. As a LHBH player with a utility-only FH, the Hatchet is an essential tool for all the left turning fairways I encounter... :D
i know this was two weeks ago but as a newbie having to throw lhbh can you tell me some about how you use the hatchett? i have terrible trouble on holes going left which seems to be almost all around here. Thank you

i know this was two weeks ago but as a newbie having to throw lhbh can you tell me some about how you use the hatchett? i have terrible trouble on holes going left which seems to be almost all around here. Thank you

Throw the Hatchet flat LHBH and it should fly a long turnover without coming back much (if at all), similar to the line a RHBH throw would get on a hyzer line. The two main differences are that throwing a flippy disc on a turnover will suck in a headwind, and distance control is much harder.

Depending on just how new you are, a slower disc with similar characteristics might work better. Maul (speed 7) or Tursas (speed 5 midrange) are similar flights in slower speeds.

Throw the Hatchet flat LHBH and it should fly a long turnover without coming back much (if at all), similar to the line a RHBH throw would get on a hyzer line. The two main differences are that throwing a flippy disc on a turnover will suck in a headwind, and distance control is much harder.

Depending on just how new you are, a slower disc with similar characteristics might work better. Maul (speed 7) or Tursas (speed 5 midrange) are similar flights in slower speeds.

aphilso1 speaks the truth!

I have both the VIP and TP Hatchet in my bag. The VIP is nice for turnovers that pan back at the end while the TP is perfect for turnover lines that do not come back at all.

I also bag a VIP Tursas for slower midrange turnovers and a beat-up GL Maul for extreme turnovers, rollers and super-flippy duties...

Picked up a Getaway yesterday as an OS bookend to my Escapes - guys... I think the Getaway is just an Escape with the leading bottom wing filed down, pushing the PLH slightly higher.

I mean, eyeballing these molds I see no discernable difference in lower or upper mold shape, rim width and depth are the same, even the PLH is the same as my moonshine escapes aside from the filed wing.

Thoughts?

When I got mine, I was hoping for that, but ended up with something too OS for me to use often. I plan to force into the bag to get some throws in hoping it breaks in like most Trilogy FDs do.

Getaways may look and feel like Escapes, but they fly significantly more OS than Escapes. That's why I bag a mid-160's bio Getaway...it acts like an Escape Pro, whereas my 170's Lucid first run Getaway is a glidey meathook. In my opinion the bio Getaways will be the ones most throwers eventually gravitate toward, similar to Enforcers.

That being said, lately I've found myself more confortable throwing my most stable Escape (Moonshine) with additional hyzer for Getaway-like lines. The Getaway goes back in the bag when there's snow on the ground (for visibility reasons) or when the winds pick up. In normal conditions I've been just bagging Felon/Escape/Escape/Hatchet.

Picked up a Getaway yesterday as an OS bookend to my Escapes - guys... I think the Getaway is just an Escape with the leading bottom wing filed down, pushing the PLH slightly higher.

I mean, eyeballing these molds I see no discernable difference in lower or upper mold shape, rim width and depth are the same, even the PLH is the same as my moonshine escapes aside from the filed wing.

Thoughts?

Maybe I had a lousy Escape, but I thought the Getaway flew a LOT more overstable. My Escape was a flip machine. I got really mad at it and stopped throwing it. Every flat release was turning and burning. The Getaway I have is more like a Thunderbird. Long, straight flight with no high speed turn.

My Escape has legit -3 or -4 high speed turn. Getaway has 0. I adore the Getaway. It does everything its supposed to.

Maybe I had a lousy Escape, but I thought the Getaway flew a LOT more overstable. My Escape was a flip machine. I got really mad at it and stopped throwing it. Every flat release was turning and burning. The Getaway I have is more like a Thunderbird. Long, straight flight with no high speed turn.

My Escape has legit -3 or -4 high speed turn. Getaway has 0. I adore the Getaway. It does everything its supposed to.

Escape is definitely more power sensitive. We've got a bunch of 300 ft flat shots, 280 ft uphill shots, and 330 ft downhill shots at my local courses. Thrown with a touch of hyzer on a nice easy pull, and the Escape is money on these types of holes. It's probably my most-parked mold overall. But I also max at 350 ft on an average day with distance drivers, so IIRC you've got a much bigger arm than me. Doesn't surprise me that a power thrower wouldn't like the Escape.

Escape is definitely more power sensitive. We've got a bunch of 300 ft flat shots, 280 ft uphill shots, and 330 ft downhill shots at my local courses. Thrown with a touch of hyzer on a nice easy pull, and the Escape is money on these types of holes. It's probably my most-parked mold overall. But I also max at 350 ft on an average day with distance drivers, so IIRC you've got a much bigger arm than me. Doesn't surprise me that a power thrower wouldn't like the Escape.

I think what irked me most about the Escape was the fact that it flew NOTHING like the flight numbers on the disc. Same with the Renegade. I have no clue why Dynamic can't put more accurate flight numbers on their discs. To me the Escape was like a Sidewinder or Valk. Lots of high speed turn and completely wild.

Anything up to about 350' I'll use a mid on. I like fairway drivers for 350-400' shots. The Escape is too flippy for that range. The Getaway is perfect for 375' all day. It loves to be thrown hard.

Some of their more recent offerings (Getaway, Musket, Explorer) fly exactly like they numbers they're assigned.

Escape does fly like the numbers for me. I've never measured, but I'd guess I probably max them around 320. I bag a year-old beat Lucid that's 9/5/-1.5/2, and a Moonshine that's been in the bag since late summer and flies 9/5/-0.5/2. Also have a backup fresh Lucid that is spot on the listed #'s of 9/5/-1/2. I do have an extremely beat biofuzion that flies kind of like a less glidey Hatchet or Sidewinder. But that thing was absolutely abused by trees...it was my main driver as I was just learning the game, so it saw more tree hits than fairways for a long time.

Regarding the Renegade though...totally agree. I have to give one midrange power to keep it from turning over uncontrollably. I bought one and thought that surely it was a fluke. So I bought a second, and it was the same thing. Sold them both. My noodle-armed buddy throws it pretty well though, but I don't think he gets much further than 275.

Latest posts