• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting close to the Right Pec

fusan

Par Member
I was out today working on getting the disc close to the Right Pec. Tried to feel the weight of the disc and punch the next guy with the elbow.
Another thing I focused on was to stop/slow down the shoulders when they got perpendicular to the target before I extended the and arm.

I think I got pretty close but I dindnt feel the weight of the disc and I didnt notice any dofference in length. One thing I notticed was tha amount of spin on the disc and the stability. It seemed like it wouldnt turn and allmost didnt fade.

Am I on the right track?

Definitely on the right track. You can add just a touch more "dance" into your hips. I like to rock forward just a bit first, then back into the back foot. Looks like you're getting the late acceleration, you can start to lock that non-throwing arm tighter to your body. Think of the spinning ice skater - they get faster as they pull the arms in tight. Hanging the arm out there just slows rotation.

Thanks for the replys guys.
I know theres other stuff to work with, but its good to have the base figured out and I hope the rest will fall in place.

One thing that SlowPlastic mentioned to me, because I do what you do... is to rotate your follow-through arm palm down, well after your release - so that the arm can bend around your back. It will help save some stress on your elbow and shoulder.

editted to say: GOOD WORK!!

One of the (many) bad habbit I have is to push with the hips. I think its because I start with too much weight on the backfoot to begin with. Its way more pronounced when I use a full runup. Another issue is that while I push instead of rotating with the hips, I only rotate the shoulders and loose a lot of power compared to rotating with the hips and let the shoudlers follow.
I assume that pushing with the hips is caused cus the brain is compensating and want the weight to be centered. Otherwise I would sky the throws every time. I have done this for so long that its gonna take a loong time to loose that habit. I hope it will make it easier if I focus on keeping the weight foreward (have to exaggerate) all the time during the throw.
But thowing from standstill is a huge advantage cus the bad form is easier to fix since the movements are smaller and I can focus at one thing at a time.
Who knows, maybe when I fix the bad habbits during standstill, it might get better with the full runup, but I doubt it.

I just wrote an article w/ a video that gets into the bracing thing pretty deep:

http://heavydisc.blogspot.com/2014/10/why-we-brace.html

You're definitely pushing past the rotational axis a little and I could see that if you pushed the hips forward - it would be rough. We've been talking about this alot lately, the use of bent and squeezed together knees to help the body start to feel a "wall" to stay inside or an axis that's tilted that you want to rotate around.

I just wrote an article w/ a video that gets into the bracing thing pretty deep:

http://heavydisc.blogspot.com/2014/10/why-we-brace.html

You're definitely pushing past the rotational axis a little and I could see that if you pushed the hips forward - it would be rough. We've been talking about this alot lately, the use of bent and squeezed together knees to help the body start to feel a "wall" to stay inside or an axis that's tilted that you want to rotate around.

In which direction? Foreward or a little leaned back?

More back, more bracing your weight against that plant leg. Like you were engaging the inside edge of an ice-skate.

paulBH.gif

I was out today trying to lead with the hips and brace with the fronleg.
This video actually show how bad I am at thinking on two things at a time.
As soon as I focused on the hips, getting close to the Right Pec just vanished.
In my head I feelt like I was really rotating much and hard but in the video it doesent look like the hips
rotate that much.
Is this the correct way to rotate the hips?

Your posture/balance is lost once your rear knee moves behind your ankle in the backswing, so you aren't loading back properly(braced inside the rear foot) and consequently never getting forward as your rear knee is well behind your rear hip in the finish. The knee should just hang under the hip joint in the finish as all your weight has moved forward and remained upright.

Ty SW22!
So a brace at the reachback, to maintain the posture and to keep the weithg centered. Basically what I understand from your comment is when I load up the rearleg I build up tension that should be released for the foreward motion of the throw, correct? Instead I loose that tension and a lot of power?

Posture centered/stacked, to load your weight back against it. Same thing moving forward. Think of weight shift as water inside your body,(it actually is water/organs). You feel your weight/water load against your skeleton/posture as long it remains upright. You feel more weight back if your skeleton/posture moves forward because of the inertia of the water and organs inside your body that are free floating from your skeleton get pushed back against the rear side of your skeleton. If your posture collapses the weight/water tips over too far to recover without splashing a bunch of weight/water to move back forward. The process of weight shift should be like moving fluid or making a wave, you move more water by starting slow and accelerating it on the rhythm of a wave. This wave effect is amplified by hopping like Brinster and GG, going weightless upright and making a huge wave with the bottom of the wave producing a ton of compression/centripetal pump(g-force, i.e. a scale would read 3 times or so your actual static weight). The wave must be braced inside the front side of the body so the water in the wave fluidly moves up the skeleton, not crashing or splashing, so it transfers up to the hand/disc.