• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting out of a slump?

I actually just had one and what I had to do was get to an open course and get my timing back down. The disc would release early would release late. Went an open course got it back after 10 holes. Slump over.

For putting I just practice putting until I get my release right again. Before rounds or when I got my basket near me.

I'm slowly getting out of mine. It's just a matter of going to the field several times a week and throwing. Once you get that good throw, try to repeat exactly what you did and how it feels. I've been doing this the last several weeks and have noticed a great difference. Now, it's not to where it was yet, but i'm crawling out of the slump!

I find that when I am having trouble with a particular aspect of my game, that slowing down helps. For instance; if my drives are off, I will stop trying to throw power bombs, and slow everything down. I slow down the run-up, the reach back, the pull, and the follow through.....everything. I do this to regain my rythm, and it is easier to make adjustments at slower speeds. When I start getting comfortable again, I will gradually start picking up the pace. The same thing works for putting too. Breathe deep, slow down the pre-putt routine, the line up, and the arm swing.

threw very well today! i was having trouble with inconsistency with my dive release angle. i focused on getting a good reach back and it seemed to fall into place. i have always had a problem with consistent lines though.

going from finishing under par 80% of the time to not doing that 13 out of 15 times please help

I like to take a week off from the course. I'll still do my weekly field work but that's about it.

Two things that have helped me is;

I leave the bag in the car and carry 3 discs in hand
or
I play with a small 150 class bag.

My expectations go down and I have to focus more on each shot. I don't think about all the shots I should make with my regular bag, the choices are limited and it allows me to get creative.

I play these rounds often actually, it brings back the fun factor.

Usually for me it means either my head isn't right, or I'm in denial about an injury.

Usually some R&R is on the way if I'm not throwing quite right. Most of the time it has to do with my left knee acting up. I'm going to get some new ligaments in there when I can afford it.

If i find myself starting down a bad path during a round, i go into disc down mode. Usually wont throw anything faster than my crave. And if im spraying those all over, its down to my putter. That helps me get thru until i can fix what ails me. But, i usually suck at DG anyways, so its hard to tell n a round is going off the rails.

just got back from the course. chucked my brand new nuke ss into the woods. nothing but poison ivy everywhere (i will be amazed if i am not covered in it tomorrow). couldn't find it. hopefully tomorrow i will find it. fml

i tend to play about 6-12 rounds a week. when i am not throwing well i feel like i stay closer to the 12 and try to power through the slump.

I need to know how to get 12 rounds in a week and what I have to change in my life.

What has worked for me is to stop trying to get out of the slump. Stop keeping score. Stop pushing yourself. Then start taking it one shot at a time. Start trying to throw pretty lines. No pressure whatsoever. Before you know it, you'll be back.

Keep playing!!!!!!

Aaah I forgot about this multiple exclamation mark using jackass! Dammit, necrobump!

:thmbdown::mad::wall:

Oh and to add something new to the conversation, I just completely changed my form and it's been terrific.

Since the mental part of the game is so huge I like to stop playing for a month or longer when things aren't working out. I started playing in '04 and have taken as much as a year off from the game. It's good to pump the brakes and decompress.

When I come back I like to evaluate my bag and decide what's working and what isn't. I start playing with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. I like to play as much as possible to iron out the wrinkles and that usually works. I've had this rhythm the past several years and I keep (slowly) getting better. Good to walk away now and again.

Last edited:
If you play with the same group all the time, a change of people or some solo rounds can help too.

As much as this game is mental, nothing can screw with my mental attitude more than playing with a group of guys that have gotten a bit on my nerves. One complains all the time, two others are constantly stoned, one can get so moody that he plays an entire round without saying a word and anther plays with earbuds who can't hear what anyone is saying to him. This I hate more than anything, walking down the fairway talking only to turn around and have him go. Huh? What? Never mind.

Sometimes my only interest in the game is getting it over.

I used to say, there is nothing worse than a 50 year old stoner. There is, a fifty year old disc golf stoner with ear buds.

Sometimes, to change your attitude and mental outlook, you have to change your environment.

Last edited:

Latest posts