• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting ready for my first tournament

Awkward Accountant

Bogey Member
I have my first tournament about 2 weeks away. Im sure there will be sand baggers in rec division so just hoping for a respectable finish.

I'm fairly happy with my drives and fairway play. I been consistently 300-350' down the middle. My approach game is beyond awful. Anything outside of a long putt and that disc could go anywhere. Putting is below average.

What are some tips on getting ready for a competition?

I have my first tournament about 2 weeks away. Im sure there will be sand baggers in rec division so just hoping for a respectable finish.

I'm fairly happy with my drives and fairway play. I been consistently 300-350' down the middle. My approach game is beyond awful. Anything outside of a long putt and that disc could go anywhere. Putting is below average.

What are some tips on getting ready for a competition?

If you're consistently driving that well, you might be the sandbagger.

At least in my experience, most Rec level players are under 300' throwers.

FYI, the real definition of "bagger" is not "anyone in your division who is better than you". Although it would be understandable to think so, because that's how the loudest whiners use the term.

There will be no baggers because there will be no players who had a rating above 899 when they signed up. There will be players who get lucky and play better than their rating that day. But, that's just as likely to be you as anyone.

Poop the night before the tournament. Bring a spare pair of socks and shirt for the second round. Pack a lunch, so that while everyone else is racing around looking for take-out, you're chilling and eating. Read and know the rules. Bring a stool to sit on. Bring snacks.

A tournament is the opportunity to pit your skill against the course. Disc golf is a wonderful, outdoors activity. Remember, you spend only a few seconds on each throw. The rest is a walk and a chance to experience the game with some new, like minded players.

The pace will be very slow, be prepared. Maybe a stool or cart is a good idea. Hydrate and pack a smart lunch. Bring good gear for the weather. Many like a fresh pair of socks and boots to change into between rounds. Review the rules and be mindful of them. Arrive early, warm up. Sunscreen, bug dope and some snacks will make you happier, after the round. Make a game plan for the rounds. Know your limits and play your shots. Don't let a hero shot from a competitor, convince you to pull off your game plan. Get a bunch of pars and play smart for your birdies. Be sure to take the chance to thank the hard working volunteers, providing you the opportunity to compete.

HAVE FUN. It is a full day and you are spending your entertainment time, on the tournament, enjoy it!!

If you're consistently driving that well, you might be the sandbagger.

At least in my experience, most Rec level players are under 300' throwers.

I dont know how the rating system works tbh. I shoot +3 on easier courses. +10ish on harder ones. I'm usually middle of the pack in my doubles league skill wise so figured i was a rec

Good advice so far... prep is the key.. Non greasy snacks/lunch/breakfast and a towel is what I can add. Water, drink water before, maybe keep your coffee to a minimum and switch to water early before you leave. Guzzle a glass or two and make sure you have breakfast.

Bring a bag of greasy potato chips and hand em out to your competition that didn't bring a lunch. :D

Don't put any "magic discs" in your bag right before the tournament, stick to what you have thrown in the last month. Make sure you have two putters even if they are identical... actually I like having two envy, if the first one isn't working I switch to the 2nd even if it is in my head.

There's nothing wrong with par! ....or sometimes bogey layups. Know your limit and play within it.

You can't "make up" for the last hole, one hole at a time one shot at a time.

Have fun!

The pooping before the round is key, sounds like a joke but it can ruin a round wishing you were near a facility.

Don't try to do something you wouldn't normally do or haven't practiced. Play the course beforehand if you can. Try and find videos of it if you can't.

Figure out what you need to do to feel "warm" beforehand and show up in time to do that routine.

Ask about ground rules/course guide. Some TDs/courses have weird rules. One local course plays OB as lateral in, rather than where you went OB and it messes with a lot of people.

You're gonna have the yips but that's totally normal.

I played in a bunch of tournaments back in the day (2013ish) and just played in my first one since then back in February of this year.

It was a single round flex start but I had the yips baaaaad. Lasted 10 holes!

Latest posts