• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Glow Discs

I throw a lot of turnover plastic anyway, so I like the added instability. Yes they look cool when placed toward the rim. Using two on opposite sides (different colors) is even cooler.

One thing about night golf is you can really see when your disc runs out of spin. And to all the folks that have not tried glow.....it is harder to lose a disc at night!!! Depending on your course, you can see everyone's lie from the tee, not so in the day. Land in tall grass or under some leaves in the day, and it can be a lost disc.

UV (blacklight) really lights up certain colors/plastic.

So I played some night golf today, and man, what a blast. It was so much easier to play once the sun had gone down, especially since we're having one of the hottest summers ever down here. One thing I noticed is that the Blackjax Quest is one flippy p.o.s. It doesn't matter how much of a hyzer angle you release it on, it WILL GO RIGHT (rhbh) no matter what. It was much better at shots of less than 70% power though.

I also attached a couple LEDs to a clear champ Teebird and it worked much better than the Quest athough the lights actually made it understable, but not near as bad as the Quest. I could actually hyzer-flip the Teebird for some good distance so I just let my friend use the Quest ;) We ended playing 2.5 rounds of night golf we were having so much fun...and that was after 1 daytime round. One thing I noticed is that it's much easier to see the angle that your disc is on as it travels through the air, which makes correcting release angles easier and understanding the flight path of the disc better. Good times.

...oh yeah, a cop rolled by as we were playing all slow-like and just stared us down, but he kept on going, so we kept on playing.

I'm going to be playing in a local Glow Series here in the upcoming month. No LED discs allowed, so I can only roll with what comes in a glow plastic. So far I a very flat Glow Roc, as well as a delightfully grippy Glow San Marino Roc.

My Glow Box

I've played Glow Golf quite a few times and my up my little Glow Box.
I like the finger lights the best. You can usally find them at the check out at some stores for $1 each. I did find them on-line for half that if you buy a box 24 I think. I took the plastic housing off so it's as light as I can get it. Cut a small piece of wire shrink wrap and place over the batts and contacts. I like having the switch to be able to turn them on and off between throws. I've been using these for about 3 years with no burn outs on the bulbs or failure on the switches.
Nite Brite. These work well also, But the cost. You might be able to find them for $2. Most I've seen lately are more like $3.50. They will last 4 or 5 rounds. If you turn them off between shots. You pull and push on bulb for on/off. Sporting goods/fishing is where to find these. They are bobber lights.
The others pictured are some I made up. No switchs, just the batts, bulbs and shrink wrap. I bought cheap little toys with leds. Tore them apart and presto a light for the disc.
If you do a little shopping on-line you can find a card of replacemet thumb cells for around 10-15 cents each. Buy them in a store and they are $3-$5 each.
Then there the good 'ol duct tape. 3M transparent.
The cheapest way we have found to light discs is.......
A glow stick, A junk disc, some toilet paper and the clear duct tape.
Break and get the glow glowing. Cut it in half, pour contents into junk disc.
Tear small pieces of TP dip into glow juice.
You'll need 2 pieces of duct tape, one longer than the other. Not too big you don't need much.
Place your glowing TP in betewwn the 2 pieces of DT to sandwich it in there. then stick that to your disc.
Trouble with this is You'll all be the same color. So one guy has 1 square, next guy has 2, next a line of three or a triangle or something so you can tell you discs apart with out turning on a light.
Sorry this got so long, guess I got on a roll.

Attachments

• HPIM2110.jpg
    HPIM2110.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 27
  • HPIM2112.jpg
    HPIM2112.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 24
  • HPIM2114.jpg
    HPIM2114.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 21
Got two more glow discs coming in ... a Glow TL and a Glow #1 Hookshot. A Glow Aviar will be next along with as bright of an l.e.d. flashlight I can find. Like I said before, the glow rounds I'll be playing in are glow plastic only ... no LED discs or taping on of anything. I'll be sure to share how it all works out.

Got two more glow discs coming in ... a Glow TL and a Glow #1 Hookshot. A Glow Aviar will be next along with as bright of an l.e.d. flashlight I can find. Like I said before, the glow rounds I'll be playing in are glow plastic only ... no LED discs or taping on of anything. I'll be sure to share how it all works out.

Did the league get special permission from the city or county to do this? Or is it on a private course?

The glow discs lose their charge VERY quickly and are more difficult to see than a disc in white plastic after they have lost their charge. I've heard of folks quick charging their glow discs using an old camera flash.

Has anyone tried the Blackjax Axe? It's supposed to be a more stable version of the Quest, but after throwing the Quest I have my doubts about any Blackjax disc.

i just played last weekend. I used the little fishing glo sticks on champion plastic and its great . I prefer clear duct tape. The packing tape can come off if its hot and humid.

One of the guts on my card had a Glo Innova Sidewinder and a UV flashlight. It worked good but you had to recharge the disc each time, with the UV flashlight, and the glo did not last very long.

The other guy was using LED lights and they work good.

Played some night golf for the first time tonight.

I played around my home course for about an hour tonight. I just used one of my glow Aviars that I bought on here. It didn't hold enough light to be really useful and I just bought some small "snap and glow" lights at Dollar Tree tonight.

I found out that the tiny glow lights worked pretty well, both on the bottom and on the top of the disc. Better visibility on top as they didn't show though the milky white glow disc that strongly. On a clear disc they'd probably be fine. I just attached them with shiny scotch tape as I was only using one disc and not worried about changing lights onto different discs.

These tiny things, though, aren't nearly bright enough for baskets... although I made do with them.

Course I Played Night Golf On

When I started playing on my back nine alone, I got a little spooked. It's pitch black in the woods and there are bears & such around here. So I spent most of my time on the front nine, "development" side, of my house. There's a good bit more light and the woods are thinned out a lot more in front. I'm really looking forward to doing this night golf thing up right sometime.

Here are a couple pics of the course in the daytime.

View attachment 1905

dl front nine.jpg

Last edited:
Crap, the picture in the previous post is part of the "less spooky" front nine. Here's a hole from the "definitely spooky" back nine. You have to imagine this in the pitch black.

back nine.jpg

Pics of my Dollar Tree Find

Disc Golf, Tiny Glow Sticks.jpg

Disc Golf, Tiny Glow Sticks 2.jpg

Disc Golf, Tiny Glow Sticks 3.jpg

And they're still glowing strong after three hours. It might be a good idea to put one on top and one on bottom?

Well I've played two rounds of glow disc golf with only glow plastic. I've been using two DX Glow Rocs (one San Marino and one Rancho), a Champion Glow TL, and a Champion Glow Aviar. To charge them before throws I'm utilizing a compact LED flashlight that has 9 bulbs that puts out UV light, or at least looks like it. The flashlight works very well at charging the plastic fast. The baskets are marked by hanging a single glow stick on the front side from the top.

The Champion Glow plastic works much better than the DX Glow. However, the DX Glow does an adequate job. Holds a charge long enough to find it after 4 people have thrown. I've been almost surprised at how easy they are to spot out on a dark course.

View attachment 1908

View attachment 1909

View attachment 1910

And they're still glowing strong after three hours. It might be a good idea to put one on top and one on bottom?

Just so you know. The Dollar Tree sticks are okay (and available) but they are not the best. I tried many different samples before I bought bulk. Some start to fade in 20 minutes. The ones I buy can still be (faintly) seen a week later. I am talking about the 1.5" sticks for your disc. Green and yellow are the brightest. Blue, pink, and red are not good colors if you do not have quality sticks.

Nothing wrong with the Dollar tree ones, as they will do the trick.

In warm weather glow sticks burn out quick, and in cold weather they will go into hibernation.

but why use glow plastic and then illuminate it with taped on glow sticks instead of charging the glow plastic with a cheap UV flashlight?

I played in a glow round over the weekend, during the Goddess Games. They had gotten some nice glow champ plastic for tourny discs, so I had to pick up a couple for my glow bag. I got a new Glow Champ Orc, and a Destroyer. WWWoooooo More Glow Plastic!!!:D

Latest posts