• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Going to LA/So Cal/Palm Springs Looking for MUST PLAY Courses

Looking to play

11/2 Wednesday at La Mirada
11/3 Thrusday at Huntington Beach
11/5 Saturday at Glen Helen

Id like to play the Coyote in Ventura, and I'm actually stopping there on Tues to visit a friend, but I just won't have time. Plus bringing the GF with so I have to make time for SPAS, WINE TOURS, SHOPPING etc. lol

PS the last two might not be great courses but it fits in with travel days, and will be passing them by. The only one I'm making a special trip for is La Mirada. I'm looking for a good vibe and I think the HB course will give me more in meeting people than perhaps the course offers. That means more to me than an epic course, but with unfriendly/no one shows up locals. When I travel, I like to meet up with locals!

Last edited:
What exactly is your schedule?

I'm down to meet up and play. I'll check my schedule for next week and we'll figure something out.

Most of the park style courses are kinda boring in SoCal.
Oak Grove is missing tee signs but is in good condition. Sylmar is also a great course to play in the same day as OG.

La Mirada might be the best park style course around here, plus it's near to Discovering the World.

I bet you would kill for a wooded course right? LOL Here in Pa thats ALLLLLLL we have pretty much. There are some players who I have ran into here from out of state, and they won't even throw their "precious nice not knicked up" disc on our courses which are full of rocks and heavily treed.

I can't wait to play on nice grass, no thorns, poison ivy, wide open fairways. What is boring to So Cal, is what I can't wait to play!! To excited. :thmbup:

Turns out my schedule on Wednesday got flipped.
It looks like I won't be able to make any of those courses unless we meet super early Thursday morning or after 2pm on Saturday.

You should come and play Sylmar -> OG on Tuesday! :thmbup:
What about Friday?

WOW. I had a blast playing La Mirada and Huntington Beach.

There was some high school track day when I played La Mirada, so the local shop pro said to play the back 18. I met two dudes from San Diego, who drove up for the day and we played together. Weather was 80s and 15mph wind, sunny. Not crowded in the least. We didn't have to wait on any shots from hole 1 to 18, and no one was in front or behind us. I had a great round and parked 17 for the only birdie of the group. On 7, I smashed a 100' par putt! I liked the hole that wraps around the baseball park's fence. Overall a nice causal round.

I played HB, and boy was that place interesting. Nice chill atmosphere in the parking lot, everyone was having a good time. Way more "fun" than Mirada. Went on a calm and cloudy day (rained a lot in the AM, but was just overcast around 2pm). The pro shop was closed, so no map and no cover charge.

Met a a group of 6 locals, and played the first 3 holes with them. They recommend playing the blue tees, which turned out to be great advice. I throw around 350' and it was a perfect match to my drives. I was in a hurry so I went ahead after hole 3.

I feel so lucky that I GOT TO PLAY THE WHOLE COURSE, BY MYSELF, WITH NO ONE IN FRONT OR BEHIND ME! I was expecting huge crowds, but the clouds, kept most away even though it wasn't raining. The locals also said its never calm here, so I feel so lucky I got to play on a perfectly calm day WITH THE WHOLE COURSE TO MYSELF! I really played well, parking it on 8, and parring /bogeying my way around. I don't keep score unless its a tourny, and felt so fortunate to get a round in on this course. I was just there for the experience. Had a blast.

If any of the locals I played with read this (Alexander, Thadius, Tom, Ed Noriega (not sure if that was his real name because he was laughing when he said it), hit me up on a PM, you guys were a blast to chill with.

One thing I noticed that playing at sea level the discs really turn better. I guess the 1200' I'm used to playing at does take a little off. I was bombing my 171g Champion Beast and getting it to flip then fade left (RHBH), can't seem to to that here at home.

Had fun, and would recommend both courses.

:hfive:

Last edited: