• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Going to LA/So Cal/Palm Springs Looking for MUST PLAY Courses

DiscinPete

Hello,

I will be in Los Angeles from Nov 1st through the 5th and I want to play some of the best recommended courses. Its exciting to know this is where the sport started back in the 70s! I am from PA and this is my first time to the area.

I will be in Redondo Beach, Laguna Nigel, and Palm Springs.

I have a desire to play the first course ever made, Oak Grove. However, it looks like its not in great shape, and perhaps not making the trip there? I hear LA traffic is legendary.

Another good course I think could be La Mirada and Huntington Beach (2nd oldest course but crowded!)

Finally, Sky High is tops on my list as well. How is the wind this time of year up there? Seems like they are getting 50mph gusts this week.

So basically I'm looking for 3 courses to play in the area that can be highly recommended. I don't like looking through thorns/poison ivy to find discs, and like the park style courses. Of course, Sky High might have some issues with that, but I'm willing to deal with thorns just for the experience of playing at 7500'!

So can any SO CAL people help me out? I'm hoping to just show up and find a local to play with at each course to help me navigate. Are most So Cal people friendly?

DiscinPete

well pm me your phone number and info. I am sure I can play some if you want. Yucaipa Regional is nice and probably the nicest course to Palm Springs. Wrightwood is cool also. I would be done for Huntington Beach or la mirada aswell. Just need your info and stuff.

What exactly is your schedule?

I'm down to meet up and play. I'll check my schedule for next week and we'll figure something out.

Most of the park style courses are kinda boring in SoCal.
Oak Grove is missing tee signs but is in good condition. Sylmar is also a great course to play in the same day as OG.

La Mirada might be the best park style course around here, plus it's near to Discovering the World.

well pm me your phone number and info. I am sure I can play some if you want. Yucaipa Regional is nice and probably the nicest course to Palm Springs. Wrightwood is cool also. I would be done for Huntington Beach or la mirada aswell. Just need your info and stuff.

Do I sense a mini-SoCal meetup in the works? :hfive:

Take your pick ...

picture.php

I'd recommend Oak Grove, Sunrise, and La Mirada. My 2¢ - don't spend it all in one place.

Take your pick ...

picture.php

I'd recommend Oak Grove, Sunrise, and La Mirada. My 2¢ - don't spend it all in one place.

Wow! If that chart isn't helpful, I don't what is. Very nice map. :thmbup:

You can't go wrong with the Oak Grove, Sylmar combo. They are fairly close to each other so that will help traffic wise plus they are both really good courses. From there I would also recommend La Mirada. There are two courses onsite and like snappyfingers said, it's close to Discovering the World, an amazing disc golf shop.

If you have the time I would definitely make a day of it and either play Sunrise or Coyote Point. While I haven't played Sunrise I have heard nothing but amazing things and it's the one great socal course that has eluded me. Coyote Point's reputation speaks for itself. It's a great course and worth the trip up to Ventura for sure.

Sky High will likely be closed by then, though I hear he keeps the front 9 in place.
La Mirada is a good example of a great course ruined by non-exclusivity.
Oak Grove is a must.
Sylmar Veterans Park is a must.
Coyote Point is a must if you have all day for it.
Chavez Ridge is often overlooked...good if you are a fan of Circus Golf.
Whittier, Huntington Park, and El Dorado are all flat, boring parks in my opinion. Good for practice.
If you are going to be in Palm Springs...then I agree with the Yucaipa advice. Go there, but note that it can be windy.

Here's my schedule from 11/1 - 11/5...

11/1 Tuesday - free after 2pm although I'll be at OG playing the weekly tourney
11/2 Wednesday - free after 2pm
11/3 Thursday - free until 12pm
11/4 Friday - free all day! :thmbup:
11/5 Saturday - free after 2pm

Let's play some golf!!! :hfive: :p :) :thmbup:

I can chime in about Laguna Niguel, there is nothing here at all. You will find plenty of practice fields and I have a temporary basket I setup in local parks. You will not be that far from Goat Hill in Oceanside from Laguna Niguel. That course is a ball/disc course that has good reviews. Closest course is Deerfield in Irvine, small 9 hole course.

11/4 Friday - free all day! :thmbup:

Let's play some golf!!! :hfive: :p :) :thmbup:

thats a good week for golf.

OP I'll play some courses with ya, I should be free most all week.

11/4 Friday - free all day!

I'll actually be free all that day but will be playing the weekly at 4pm.

Roadtrip to Casitas on Friday?!??!!!!?!??!??!??!!!!!?!??!! :hfive: :thmbup: :) :p

I'll actually be free all that day but will be playing the weekly at 4pm.

Roadtrip to Casitas on Friday?!??!!!!?!??!??!??!!!!!?!??!! :hfive: :thmbup: :) :p

Man, I want to play Casitas SO bad, but got to be well rested for Sylmar Match Play tourny Saturday and Sunday.
Had a blast last year, anyone playing that next weekend (11/5-6)?

Im looking for a causal round. I don't keep score usually because I'm really out for fun, even at home. When I do keep score I'm usually 6-9over par on any given day. I don't wear a "TEAM INNOVA" uniform, nor have a crew of support staff. I'm not hoping to join tours, and I don't play with any of those attitudes.

Just looking for a round of causal golf. And some "chill" people. Non serious people apply, but still be able to hold your own, I'm not a beginner.

Ive narrowed it down to the following courses:

La Mirada FOR SURE
Huntington Beach MOST DEF
GLEN HELEN up in San Bernadino

Thanks

Latest posts