• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] good innova mids for a beginner woman?

Some disc golfers that are actually considerate. Who knew. Just kidding. If this were me, I'd think of it as an outing where frisbees may be thrown along the way. We've all been on these things with our girls so you already know all the concessions, supplies, and allowances that need to be made to make said outing not suck. If you get all of those bases covered, the disc golf will take care of itself.

Why not let her throw your stockpile of discs on a practice field and decide for herself what she likes best?

Without you incessantly coaching her form.

Start by helping her learn to throw / it'll be a long time before she cares what disc she's using unless she's very serious about it. Your attitude and fun level are so much more important than how far/well she's throwing. My wife uses a 150 class Impact, but who cares. She doesn't multiple discs and doesn't throw far.

I think its funny how contradictory some people are. If disc choices dont matter then why worry if its a new disc or light weight or not? If the disc is unable to fly straight then what a disc is or weighs is irrelevantat least for the first few times of playing. The only thing i am focusing on is timimg/foot work,release and is it released semi-flat.

discs i have other then the 2 i stated that i feel are worth mentioning:
star&ch coyote(180)
star cro(175)
several kc roc's(178-180)
pro shark (180)
pro cobra (180)

I do bag dx cobra, dx stingray and a dx xd so those are comming with me. So of she need one of them then fine.

Beacuse it is being suggested i will bring a dx goblin aka dart.

And the course is flat and short with minimal obstacles I only use putters on this course.

I'd have her start with just your Pro Shark. In my opinion it's easier to get a heavier disc to fly straight consistently at first.

I recommend a base plastic mid that is shallow, neutral/stable and in the low 160s.

I'll throw in another vote for the Shark. The max weight you have shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Depending upon how much power this beginner woman has...

Low Power:
DX Wolf 160-170 (This is a real sleeper, but a fantastic beginner midrange disc.)

Mid-level Power:
DX Stingray 160-170

Given what you have listed, I would suggest you give her a few tips and throwing lessons and let her pick the one she's most comfortable with.

Really any of the discs on your list will work for a start and as she develops, she'll gravitate towards what feels best for her. Take her to a field and let her throw them all. She'll pick the one she prefers.

Do you love her? Ok, then make a decision: give her your Pro Shark and your Pro Cobra.

If she loves you, she'll give one of them back to you.

I'm a smaller guy (with small hands) and minimal back hand speed/power.

I use a 175g Star Wedge (firm), A 170g C-Line P3 and a 173g Z Meteor for mid range duties. These discs all take minimal effort to throw and they have a shallow/small rim that is easy for me to power grip.

* When I was at the shop the other day I almost picked up a Star Stringray. It felt super good in the hand so I'm going to go ahead and second that suggestion too.

Just go to a field and let her throw what you have. I'm sure some of your 6 year old discs are beat to flippy by now.

Just go to a field and let her throw what you have. I'm sure some of your 6 year old discs are beat to flippy by now.

This.

Let her throw a few and pick what she is comfortable with.

When my wife started, I took a bunch of discs and let her throw whatever she wanted. It ended up being the Champ Leopard and Polecat that she liked. Now that she's getting interested again (10 years later), I'll give her those and we'll see start over.

Low speed fade is one of the biggest frustrations for a beginning golfer - especially ones without a big arm. The Wombat has the most minimal fade of any disc I've thrown even at very low speed. I think it would be a great choice.