• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good list of things for a disc golfer to own

IowaDiscGolf

Eagle Member
I just wanted to get this list going to get ideas from people on useful stuff to own, some of which to keep in the bag and some of which to simply own in case. The more prepared I am, the more i find I enjoy the round.

- Good quality bag
- Quality footwear...Merrell shoes are pretty good
- Quality socks...I used to take these for granted
- Good active-wear pants that are lightweight and offer mobility
- Good, sturdy water bottle like the Nalgene ones
- Microfiber towels (more absorbent than rags)
- Talc/Resin bag (like pitcher's use; good for consistent grip in warm sticky weather)
- Stool, like the three-legged variety
- Umbrella
- Precipitation pants/jacket
- Driving or cycling gloves that fold up compactly in your pocket while you're throwing
- Windbreaker
- Quality sunglasses that fit comfortably and reduce glare
- Sun block
- DEET repellant for ticks and such
- Lip balm
- Nature Valley Granola bars

Other ideas?

That's much more than I usually carry. Not much you left out other than a mini marker. I sometimes carry tape or ibuprofen for minor injures. Also some peanuts or some kind of snack if I will be out for a while.

Eric O said:
That's much more than I usually carry. Not much you left out other than a mini marker. I sometimes carry tape or ibuprofen for minor injures.

SOME of which to carry around in the bag, some of which simply to own in case.

Yes, Ibuprofen, great one...that is one I forgot. I absolutely carry a pain reliever of some sort around in my bag.

Mini-marker, yes...magic marker too.

Ball to get your discs out of a tree
Tape measure to get stuff out of the tree a large towel for footing on wet days
A camera/video for the just in case shots

really sunny days u may need a ball cap or skull cap..

dont forget the TP....seals in a ziplock bag!!! .....you NEVER know!

Also, a shirt and some kind of foot covering... according to the rules... also, I would say pants would also be a good thing.

But seriously:
A Sharpie

i always have spare hand warmers for this time of year. a clip on knife that i attach to my bag for whatever (like opening the hand warmer packets ;)). a few extra glow sticks or LEDs in the side pocket and tape in the car just in case i'm up for some spur of the moment night golfing. sand paper and a lighter in case i eff up a disc (the knife is handy for that too). deodorant, if it's warm enough to sweat much. maybe even a change of clothes. a zip lock bag if it starts raining. i usually have something with me that i dont want to get wet like my phone.

and i have bandaids and things like that with me for tournaments. and icy hot. and a cooler full of drinks.

i think everything else has been mentioned.

I normally bring an extra pair of shoes and like 2 extra pairs of socks. I am not afraid to go in the water
P1010026.JPG
but I do like to have dry feet when I am done.

i like to have some binoculars (especially if its a course ive never played) cause my eyes arent that good and alot of the courses around here are pretty long "so the basket is where?"

discdawg said:
Wow. Other than whatever clothes I have on that day, I only need discs and some sort of bag.

What kind of bag? If it's anything other than a plastic grocery bag, that's overkill and you're being pretentious.

:)

readysetstab said:
i always have spare hand warmers for this time of year. a clip on knife that i attach to my bag for whatever (like opening the hand warmer packets ;)). a few extra glow sticks or LEDs in the side pocket and tape in the car just in case i'm up for some spur of the moment night golfing. sand paper and a lighter in case i eff up a disc (the knife is handy for that too). deodorant, if it's warm enough to sweat much. maybe even a change of clothes. a zip lock bag if it starts raining. i usually have something with me that i dont want to get wet like my phone.

and i have bandaids and things like that with me for tournaments. and icy hot. and a cooler full of drinks.

i think everything else has been mentioned.

Tough freezer bag (Ziploc) are a great idea...water (or beer) sometimes gets into my bag. It's fried my phone before.

IowaDiscGolf said:
water (or beer) sometimes gets into my bag. It's fried my phone before.
Me too. I sometimes use ziplocks other times a small watertight plastic container. Not a fan of Jon Fitch, I see. ;)

IowaDiscGolf said:
discdawg said:
Wow. Other than whatever clothes I have on that day, I only need discs and some sort of bag.

What kind of bag? If it's anything other than a plastic grocery bag, that's overkill and you're being pretentious.

:)

Funny you mention that, a guy I play with has used a plastic bag in the past. Worked just fine.

This thread reminds me of certain deer hunters. They spend hundreds of dollars on all sorts of gear meant to help shoot deer, when are you really need is a gun and a slug.

An umbrella and rain gear?!?! Geesh.

Of course, I am not very good. Just grip it and rip it is my philosophy, and I don't see any of that stuff making me play any better.

To each his own, I guess. Just don't get mad if I laugh. :lol: :lol:

discdawg said:
An umbrella and rain gear?!?! Geesh.
People have been known to use these modern conveniences on occasion when venturing out in the rain .

I usually try to take some caffine enhanced beverage that is not very good for me, a buck or 5, pencil, car keys, and maybe a fleece vest/hat/sun glasses/windbreaker (rain). Golf towel.
Sunblock! And now that my hair is goin, the spray stuff works really well on the bald spot if I'm not gonna wear a hat.
Thats about it really.

Things I don't take with me:

Stuff to eat. I regret that pretty regularly but can't seem to learn.

Measuring tape. Too much work. I'm really a ready throw aim kinda player.

Rain gear. Wear a hat, if yer wet, you don't have to worry about it. I grew up in upstate NY so it really never gets cold in VA.

Sharpie. I've heard ppl get their discs signed for 1s. Not something I've had to worry about.

Seat, chair. Again, Ready shoot aim, I don't like waiting, I can sit on a disc if I REALLY have to and its REALLY wet, otherwise the ground is fine.

Light, thin, movable pants... See stuff to eat. I really need to get me some of them! I play in shorts whenever possible.

PLEASE tell me if those pseudo boots ppl wear help. I wear addidas classics to play. As for my feet getting wet, that fits into rain gear. Do the wee booties ppl buy and wear and talk about really make that much a difference? Seems like they'd just be heavy.

Oh, and I some times have a copy of the PDGA rules. I hate them, but if I wind up playing with an ass who's got nothing better to do than drag other ppl down in a tourney, they are good to have. I also have a clipped down version of a flight chart. I just like looking at that stuff.