• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good snacks during a round

So I've been playing for a couple years but never played in a tournament before. However, two of my friends and I decided to sign up for a 100 holes in 1 day tournament just to see if we could do it. I've done 54 in a morning no problem so the amount of holes I don't anticipate to be an issue.

I'm wondering what kinds of snacks have you found good during a round to help keep your energy up and keep you focused?

I look for and take healthy tasty things like Kind brand bars, some times cliff bars (not as healthy). Also bring tons of fluids, that will get you down before the hunger ever does.

I'm not sure what you carry water in but the BUBBA brand makes a vacuum insulated 24 oz bottle maybe 26oz with a flip top lid like a sports bottle it cools exactly like the vacuum insulated yeti cups. A cooler in the car and the bottle can be reloaded as needed or when passing by the car.

I played 100 this past Sunday in a tournament.

Blackberries and bannana was popular in our foursome. Lots of water and energy bar or two.

Beer is good advice.

Also, an oft-overlooked between-round (or during round) snack is cold pizza. Order some takeout the night before (Pizza Hut thin crust works best), let it cool down, bag it up in baggies, and throw it in the fridge. Then tourney day use a cooler or your packit.com brand freezable lunch bag, and you're good to go.

I never understood the snacks during a round mentality, can some folks really not go a couple of hours without eating?

Make sure you get a breakfast high in protein, that is most important IMO. I would avoid cereal and lean towards a breakfast sandwich or eggs/meat. A good breakfast will stick with you longer and provide greater energy/recovery between holes. On the course I recommend unsalted nuts or trail mix (lower the sodium the better). Both are light snacks with added protein - that will come in handy around hole 30 & 60 :)

Make sure your lunch/dinner post round also features protein and veggies - skip over fast food. This will help prevent soreness the day after.

Also drink 1-2 glasses of water the morning before the round, lots of water during the round and then EVEN more post round. This will also help the recovery process and prevent added soreness.

Good luck!

Last edited:
For longer days where I want a bit of extra fuel I just make sure to eat a good (not too heavy) breakfast and then I pack some cocoa dusted roasted almonds in my bag for snacking. The dark chocolate tastes great since it's powder it doesn't melt. I also make sure to drink lots of fluids. Definitely keep drinking otherwise you'll run out of steam fast.

Nature Valley Fruit and Nut Trail Mix bars are my go to. But I'll echo what others have said, hydration is going to be far more important than snacking.

I like the previous snack ideas, especially the cold pizza, bananas, fruit leather, and nuts plus chocolate mix (Trader Joes has a particularly good dark chocolate one that seems somewhat less prone to melting).

As others have said: hydration! Depending on how many times you loop back past your car, maybe keep a cooler in your car with extra fluids, whether it be cold 32oz Gatorade, water in a Nalgene, etc.

Last edited:
Something else to try. A box of cereal. Something with the hard texture like cheerios, so you don't end up with just crumbs. There are lots of healthy options. Just remove the bag from the box for easier storage. I used to do this for hiking. A lot cheaper than energy bars and granola and you don't have to deal with all those wrappers either.

And lots of water.

My go to snack is peanut butter, honey, and banana on whole wheat. Tons of food energy and it tastes great!

I'd just load up on some good food the night before and fast that day. Once you are used to fasting you can go all day without eating while doing lots of physical stuff. I did it while playing discgolf and lots of labor intensive jobs, after a while you find that your performance is better with less in your digestive tract.

Doing Wim Hof breathing, literally consuming a ton of air turns into a good replacement upping O2 a bit, downing CO2 a ton, getting your adrenaline going. Consuming air instead of food in this way will give you more energy to go farther at least in my experience.