• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Gouge in disc. Any tips, tricks, secrets or voodoo to make it better?

jgwalker

I know I am asking a question that may have no good answer. I have a new vibram valley, second time out with it I got the bright idea to use it in the woods. The throw had great form, the disc flew like lightning straight into the jagged bark of a pine tree 80ft away. All in all the disc fared well but for a little gouge.

It was my bone headed move, but I was surprised the disc gouged at all. Anyway I let the disc sit for a day or so hoping the memory of the rubber would help the nick lay flat. Instead it has actually stood out a bit more (though I cannot guarantee my 4 year old didn't fidget with it).

The nick is small, but it mocks me. Is there a trick to getting it to lay flat? Since this is compressed rubber I imagine hot water would not affect it like plastic or would it? Part of me wants to trim it off.

Just thought I would ask if anyone has any tips, tricks or voodoo for fixing a disc.

Photos so you can see how I am fussing over a silly scratch: (good grief I hope I posted those correctly.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 63
Couldn't figure out how to post more than one photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 53
Depends on what you want; take out the gouge- use clippers.

Smooth it out- heat or super fine sandpaper.

Don't let any of the rule nazis watch you do any of these.

Sometimes I'll melt the plastic back into place, or just take it off with a knife.

Lightning Discs(Old disc company) used to advise to use a lighter, it's a rules grey area.

I'd try the same as with plastic...clip it off and give it a little sanding to smooth that part.

I found a disc a while ago that had tons of nasty gouges like that and it was super flippy. After sanding them down it gained back at least +1 HSS and LSS so it does make a difference to not have that crud hanging off the disc (at least if there's lots of them).

So has anyone tried boiling water on a disk? Another hobby I indulge in is tabletop board gaming, sometimes the plastic pieces come out of the box bent and distorted. A quick dip in boiling water and the plastic snaps back to shape. Just not sure how this would work on rubber or a gouge. I may just have to try and let you know how it works.

Ultimately I may just clip the bit sticking out. I think if I leave it the way it is it will tear even more.

I had a similar gouge in a lace and heated up a hot knife and gently worked it to where it looked good as new.

Yeah just clip it off or use a lighter to heat up the plastic and mash it back into place. Either way, that disc should be good to go.

Lighters are too inconsistent and sooty. I use a hot-knife/wood burner/soldering iron w/ a variable temp dial . Also sand paper. Or pick/clip it off.but rubber idk. I just accept that my discs, like all my friends and family, have a finite lifespan and will one day die (except maybe a couple beauties I can't bring myself to throw anywhere besides the field on special occasions)

Last edited:
tried the boiling water bit, it mostly laid flat again. if it continues to stick out i'll just clip it. the disc flies just fine. Now the disk has its first wound, the rest will be easier to handle.