• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Green Branch DGC, Bowie, Maryland

sidewinder22

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Green Branch DGC in Bowie, Maryland will be a disc golf only part of Green Branch Athletic Complex---it will be only the 5th Regional Park in the state of Maryland---330 acres. Hoping to be opening late summer/early fall 2011. The Atlethic Complex will not be complete for another year or so, but the Disc Golf course will be open to the public once tees and baskets are installed.

Tentative 18 hole layout:
attachment.php

Dual Tees on every hole:
They are going to dig the 5'x12' pads down 4inch so that they will be flush with the ground and mix the Soiltac with two different fillers so that each pad will be a different color!...

Here is a little info on the product.....
Soiltac® is a polymer-based emulsion used primarily to stabilize all soils from dust and erosion. It is specifically engineered for ease of use for large commercial projects down to smaller residential applications. It can be as simple to apply as watering the ground. Furthermore, Soiltac® is designed to work its way down into the soil to maximize the penetration depth. The result is a thicker protective barrier with a more rigid and stable base. Once cured, Soiltac® becomes completely transparent, leaving the natural landscape to appear untouched. Soiltac® results are based on the application rate used. Modest applications can create a light temporary surface crust that is permeable by water and is useful for dust control needs. On the other hand, heavy applications can generate results similar to the qualities of cement. Most importantly, Soiltac® is a truly biodegradable product that is completely environmentally safe to use.

KING PIN baskets (bright orange and yellow) on every hole with multiple pin positions.
file.php

Attachments

• GreenBranch.jpeg
    GreenBranch.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 115
I have talked to Gary K. about this course, they still have a lot of work, but it will be only the second course in PG county, which is crazy. PG is huge with so many people but only Calvert park.

Gary K. is in charge of the DGC project, IIRC he said he and a few others helped in the design. He said it has rolling elevation and should be comparable to Druid Hill in skill level(beginner-intermediate). I just played with him Saturday at the Rumble and we were talking about the course and putting it on DGCR. He doesn't have a DGCR account(yet), but here's the thread on the md board: http://md-discgolf.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3333

he sells me discs on craigslist all of the time, I told him he would get twice as much here, but he was never interested, maybe you can talk him into it.

You got me!

After reading the thread I had to sign up for an account. Any questions you may have about Green Branch DGC---just hit me up. There is talk of an inagural tournament in the next few weeks, with portable baskets. I'll post info as soon as we get things squared away!

I've met one of these guys at Calvert awhile ago, maybe last fall. He had us sign a petition and stated that they were going to have four courses at this park. Is this still the plan?

GBDGC

Yes! That was me with the petition. The park itself wont be open to the general public for a few years, but once it does, we have have unlimited space to design multiple courses. We have designed 18 holes so far, plus about 9x holes, so this place will be a Disc Golf Park for the next few years until the complex opens. This little tournament we are throwing will go a long way into getting us the baskets and making this thing official. Tenitive date is SUNDAY June 12th 10AM START

simple directions:
From US 50
:to 301 south
:turn left on Mills Branch rd
:turn left on Mills Branch pl
:go approximatly .5 miles to dirt rd on left
:take dirt rd to grass parking area

I'm Skydiving that day, make it the 11th or another weekend and I might be able to make it.:)

I am moving to Annapolis sometime this fall so this is very exciting. I will try to make it up on the 12th.

I would post this over at the md-golf forums

Yes! That was me with the petition. The park itself wont be open to the general public for a few years, but once it does, we have have unlimited space to design multiple courses. We have designed 18 holes so far, plus about 9x holes, so this place will be a Disc Golf Park for the next few years until the complex opens. This little tournament we are throwing will go a long way into getting us the baskets and making this thing official. Tenitive date is SUNDAY June 12th 10AM START

simple directions:
From US 50
:to 301 south
:go approximatly .5 miles to dirt rd on left
:take dirt rd to grass parking area

Green Branch DGC Inagural Tournament

Inaugural Portable Basket Tournament @ Green Branch DGC in Bowie, MD.

Sunday, June 12, 2011 at 10:00 AM.
Optional payout pool for those who want to play for money (TBD).

Sorry for the short notice, but we just got confirmation that the course will be freshly mowed this coming week. This tournament will go a long way to make Greenbranch a permanent course. Please bring your cameras to take pictures to share with the parks department.

Joe Pohl has agreed to postpone Sunday doubles at Calvert on June 12th so that all disk golfers are available to attend this inaugural tournament at Green Branch.

We are looking for individuals that are willing to donate a portable basket for the day. We have about ten, so we still need quite a few more. If you have a basket we can use please ensure you arrive an hour early to leave time for set up.

Additionally, we will be having a workday on Saturday, June 11th in order to clean up the course a bit (i.e. remove any recent branches that haven fallen and obstructed the course). Would appreciate anyone who could come out and help – this should be a quick clean up. If you are available please bring a chainsaw/pole saw if you have one.

If anyone has questions or is willing/able to donate their time/baskets please contact Gary Karbacka 703-434-9128.

Directions to the course:
From US 50
: take 301 south
:go approximately .5 miles to dirt rd. on left
:take dirt rd. to grass parking area
a sign will be posted at the dirt road entrance

GfromBOWIE

10 am on Saturday for the work-day if anyone is available

From local board:

I'm extremely sorry to announce that the Tournament at Green Branch this weekend is cancelled! Unfortunately the Parks Department was unable to complete the mowing. When they attempted to mow, the area was more over-grown than expected and they encountered several nesting areas. They had to suspend mowing because they inadvertently killed several baby deer during this process. I regret having to cancel on such short notice but the mowing that was completed would only facilitate 5 holes. I will be working with the Parks Department in order to set a new date. Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you to everyone that offered help. If anyone is at Druid, P-Tap, Seneca, or Calvert today please write CANCELLED on the tournament flyers that were posted, and please spread the word to fellow disc golfers. My sincere apologies, GfromBowie

Hello All - I just subscribed to this thread. I live in Annapolis and am stoked that this couse is in the works! I play with my brother and about 5 - 7 others. We would love to lend a hand with anything that needs to be done. I would also be interested in playing in any Inaugural Portable Basket Tournament. Gary, I would love to discuss anything you need. Might give you a call tomorrow,

If you need more baskets for the tournament, I have one and both my brothers have one each. So we can take care of three holes. Just give me the heads up.

On my way to Calvert Park this morning, I drove by Green Branch to take a look. Followed the direction you gave, by could not find the dirt road. Did not want to drive up someone's driveway. Next time you are out that way and need some help, let me know.

Update from Gary...hoping to open in the fall. Some of the land has been leased for farming and will have to wait until the lease is over. Also the Tees will be concrete instead the Soiltac.

Jabruzzo, the dirt road is .5 mile on the left with a couple wood posts in between two private properties and one post says something about hunting. I drove back there recently, it was a jungle and not much to see.

Latest posts