• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip Pain

DallaS

Im at a loss here. I think I have been gripping too hard and caused some tendonitis. The pain is on the outside of my right arm below the elbow.Kinda wraps from around the side to the top of my forearm. I throw RHBH. When I squeeze my hand together it hurts. It doesnt hurt to throw it hurts to grip the disc.

I can take a break from Golf I guess but I cant from my job. Im an electrician and have to use my hands all day.

Anyone have any advice or thoughts ide love to hear them.

Sounds like tendonitis. Ice 20 min 3x day, advil, and rest are the best things. Stretching your wrist and arm also helps. A wrist brace or wrap may help too.

You should feel improvement in a week or so of rest, otherwise it maybe something more serious. You can work through tendonitis pain and advil or motrin really help.

Maybe what im doing is over doing the grip. I use a four finger grip. I finally broke my 275' plateau. I notice sometimes the disc would slip out too early for me.

I dont have a grip lock issue. I have been Gripping the disc very hard before I even start my run up to make sure the disc wasnt slipping out early. Maybe this is wrong and it should occur naturally?

I dont have a grip lock issue. I have been Gripping the disc very hard before I even start my run up to make sure the disc wasnt slipping out early. Maybe this is wrong and it should occur naturally?

Part of the secret to driving is staying relaxed until right before the hit. The reason is that as soon as you start tensing muscles, even in your grip, it robs you of your ability to reach back smoothly. Trying to learn that timing is not easy! I still throw a worm burner into the ground on occasion because I never gripped it at the beginning of the hit. Conversely I've gripped it too early and my reach back is pathetic. Try it in your arm chair with no disc. Relax your hand and reach back beyond your left shoulder. Then make a fist and do the same thing. Which one allows you to reach further?

My thread here http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2938 is kind of the de facto tendinitis thread. I have just now finally felt close to 100 % after 3 months of not playing and a month and a half of easing into it. It is a slow healing process that takes months sometimes. Ice it a lot, take Ibuprofen before you play/work, and find something to compress that area around your elbow, either a tennis elbow strap or something like it. I like to use something by Under Armour called a forearm shiver which is just a short compression sleeve but it is very comfortable. Find some tendon/ forearm stretches and do those (unless you feel pain of course) and the best exercise I found for me was to take a hammer or something long with a weight at the end and just slowly roll your wrist back and forth while holding it.

Thanks for all the replies......on week two of no disc golf. Got a sleeve and icy hot and ice. Hope to be back in the game after another week.

Icy Hot is AMAZING wow, it cures everything.

maybe in your time off you can build a disc holder or something in your time off. or work on a basket

Here is my story

A tennis elbow wrap will help too. But really rest is the only thing to take care of it. I still have pain but not the unbearable pain I did have. Ice 20 mins on then 20mins off a couple times then I found heat at night before i go to bed is really helping. Heat promotes blood flow which helps the healing process. Buy the thermIIipaq which is a clay substance that way you can just heat it up in the microwave.

Latest posts