• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grunting while driving

I don't grunt but rather exhale pretty forcibly. A few days ago my chewing gum flew out while doing this. The bunch of kids witnessing this sure had a laugh :hfive: Only thing that would have made it better was if I had been trying hard to impress them. But I dont stoop that low of course. Do I?

grunting will cause rapid contraction of your core muscles which will in turn provide more power to your throw. The rotation of your body is controlled by your core and the more your muscles are tightened the more energy you are capable of releasing. pretty much every muscle group gets support from your core muscles in performing an exercise, so it probably aids in just bringing your arm around too.

is the grunt necessary? no, its just a by-product of rapid tightening of your core muscles. if you can control your core silently, that works too.

I think it helps focus your energy into the hit, something like a martial arts punch.

For concentration/consistency purposes, I use the same technique to throw as I do to shoot a firearm. 1) Inhale, 2) exhale halfway, and 3) complete the exhale when I pull the trigger (plant my foot and release.)

The grunt comes from the more effort required to throw than pull the trigger, I think. But it isn't like I'm putting every last bit of strength into the throw.

My 2¢.