• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grunting while driving

Buddy of mine who normally drives in the 300 - 350ft range recently shouted out "I HAVE THE POWER" ala Conan the Barbarian and threw a good 50ft further than I've ever seen him hurl a disc. He then whipped out his greatsword and decapitated Skeletor who was playing in the group behind us.:popcorn:

dood ... He-Man ... pshh ..

This ^. The noise is not always necessary but it is important that you are exhaling rather than inhaling during the throw and this is true in almost every quick athletic movement. Sports Science did a study of martial artist breaking bricks and found they did perform better when grunting/yelling, I think it gets more air out quicker making the body harder and maybe psychological too.

I think it also deals with adrenaline rushing on the yell or kee-yop

When I was young I watched tennis a lot, and I thought that when you hit or threw something you were suppose to grunt. So I started grunting. By the time I realized how silly it was, It was in my subconscious. So I just do it naturally now. Some of my friends call it my "Zelda grunt" cause zelda grunts when he swings his sword.

When I was young I watched tennis a lot, and I thought that when you hit or threw something you were suppose to grunt. So I started grunting. By the time I realized how silly it was, It was in my subconscious. So I just do it naturally now. Some of my friends call it my "Zelda grunt" cause zelda grunts when he swings his sword.

Well I got called out for a geek fail so you get called out too. Zelda was the princess in that game, the hero is called Link. Clearly you're spending too much time on the disc golf course and have let your video game skillz suffer!;)

Breathe out

A good grunt is essentially an exhale of air which is supposed to be good (bad: holding your breath while driving/putting/exerting energy)
Tennis players take grunting to a whole new level! :gross:

I was watching a final 9 once and this came up in coversation amongst the pros. On one hole one of the local guys who was battling with Avery Jenkins was told that he should grunt and he turned to the guy, a friend and said, "why don't you grunt for me." Sure enough he threw his drive and his buddy grunted and he had the best tee shot of the whole card, go figure.

I was on the course when I heard a guy in the group behind me let out a huge yell. I turned expecting to see some huge crusher drive, but the guy's disc went maybe 250. I couldn't help but laugh. If you grunt to add some D be sure you have some D to start with.

I was on the course when I heard a guy in the group behind me let out a huge yell. I turned expecting to see some huge crusher drive, but the guy's disc went maybe 250. I couldn't help but laugh. If you grunt to add some D be sure you have some D to start with.

:hfive:

its like that dude that advertises these funky bolf drivers, says he can hit a drive further than anyone and has an annoyingly loud yell everytime he drives!