• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hagerstown, MD Gets a Course

Anybody else playing tomorrow?

Last call... Just wondering if I'll meet up with any other DGCR guys or gals.

What a day! It was a perfect day to be on the course... sunny, only a little wind a little of the time, and warm for the 2nd round.

I played super steady (for me) and was able to win the Rec Division in my first PDGA tournament. All five guys in the two groups I played in were really good guys and were excellent to play with. Regardless of my finish, it was a great time.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/76145

Many thanks to DGCR! And many more to all of you who have given me a tremendous amount of advice and insight into the game I enjoy so much. This site and the people on it have made it just that much more enjoyable for me!

Be well! Jimb

Nice shooting Jim! Glad you were able to make it out. Hope nobody rode you too hard with the bagger calls... Like I said, someone has to win, and occasionally someone plays well above their current rating to do so. Well done.

Here's a ton of pictures.
If you can, could you post a picture of the trophy disc? I forgot to get pictures before we gave them out, and I gave mine to the ladies winner.

There was a reporter from the local paper there as well. There's also a little video on the same page as well.

Nice shooting Jim! Glad you were able to make it out. Hope nobody rode you too hard with the bagger calls... Like I said, someone has to win, and occasionally someone plays well above their current rating to do so. Well done.

Here's a ton of pictures.
If you can, could you post a picture of the trophy disc? I forgot to get pictures before we gave them out, and I gave mine to the ladies winner.

There was a reporter from the local paper there as well. There's also a little video on the same page as well.

I will get that pic posted. Thanks for the links. I'll totally have to check them out!

I didn't actually hear any bagger comments myself. The guy I rode with said that he did, but that's it. I figured that it was my first PDGA tournament. I've played a total of 2 Ace Races and that's it as far as tournament play. Anyone can see that my PDGA number is almost at the end of the current list... I just joined a week and a half ago... specifically for this tournament.

I didn't have any idea what I was getting into. I tried to compare solo/casual rounds that I played at different courses with PDGA results from previous tournaments. But tournament setups aren't necessarily the same as regular setups, so I could just compare apples to apples. On some courses, I've had 940 rounds, but on others my best was 840. So I figured that I'd start out in Rec since I had no tourney experience at all.

And frankly, I'm very proud of my performance. I played almost as well as I could. I practiced my putting for two solid weeks before the tourney knowing that I could cut at least 2-3 shots off per round if I missed less 15-20' putts. And the practice paid off.

If people were actually talking about me bagging it... that's OK. I am 100% confident that I did the right thing for me. I'm a very straight forward, no bologna, kind of guy. If anyone actually did say anything, they obviously don't know me personally.

Thanks again for putting on the event. I've said it before... regardless of the results, I had a blast!

:)Fixed in bold...

I will get that pic posted. Thanks for the links. I'll totally have to check them out!

I didn't actually hear any bagger comments myself. The guy I rode with said that he did, but that's it. I figured that it was my first PDGA tournament. I've played a total of 2 Ace Races and that's it as far as tournament play. Anyone can see that my PDGA number is almost at the end of the current list... I just joined a week and a half ago... specifically for this tournament.

I didn't have any idea what I was getting into. I tried to compare solo/casual rounds that I played at different courses with PDGA results from previous tournaments. But tournament setups aren't necessarily the same as regular setups, so I could not just compare apples to apples. On some courses, I've had 940 rounds, but on others my best was 840 (when compared to same/similar scores I found on the PDGA site). So I figured that I'd start out in Rec since I had no tourney experience at all.

And frankly, I'm very proud of my performance. I played almost as well as I could. I practiced my putting for two solid weeks before the tourney knowing that I could cut at least 2-3 shots off per round if I missed less 15-20' putts. And the practice paid off.

If people were actually talking about me bagging it... that's OK. I am 100% confident that I did the right thing for me. I'm a very straight forward, no bologna, kind of guy. If anyone actually did say anything, they obviously don't know me personally.

Thanks again for putting on the event. I've said it before... regardless of the results, I had a blast!

And sorry if the above post (original and/or fixed) came off a bit preachy. I guess the thought that someone would call me bagger, when they didn't even know me, did strike a nerve. I guess it's intermediate for me next time!

Last edited:
I didn't mean to imply that I did hear any comments, I've just come to expect to hear it for the Am winners. I didn't specifically hear anyone saying anything, it just comes with the territory of winning. I'd take it as a compliment!

I didn't know it was your first sanctioned event, that's even more awesome! I knew we had a few brand new members there, as well as two four digit PDGA number guys.

It's tough to know where to play when you first start out. I'm a big proponent of playing up, but that's a whole other post. It's doubly tough when you're playing an unfamiliar course. I think you chose wisely, you won by a fair margin, but you say you played very well. That's good. That type of course (more open fairways, minimal OB, lots of tweener duece holes) tends to not have a lot of score separation. If you look, the top few Advanced, Intermediate and Recreational players were all within a handful of strokes. I think it was tough for a few people to know where to play, and with it being a course that literally no one had played yet there were bound to be a few surprises. Overall I like the way it played out, maybe a few tweaks and places to tighten things up. I do know the City guys were pretty pumped about the turnout and hopefully they're looking forward to next year as much as I am!

I didn't mean to imply that I did hear any comments, I've just come to expect to hear it for the Am winners. I didn't specifically hear anyone saying anything, it just comes with the territory of winning. I'd take it as a compliment!

I didn't know it was your first sanctioned event, that's even more awesome! I knew we had a few brand new members there, as well as two four digit PDGA number guys.

It's tough to know where to play when you first start out. I'm a big proponent of playing up, but that's a whole other post. It's doubly tough when you're playing an unfamiliar course. I think you chose wisely, you won by a fair margin, but you say you played very well. That's good. That type of course (more open fairways, minimal OB, lots of tweener duece holes) tends to not have a lot of score separation. If you look, the top few Advanced, Intermediate and Recreational players were all within a handful of strokes. I think it was tough for a few people to know where to play, and with it being a course that literally no one had played yet there were bound to be a few surprises. Overall I like the way it played out, maybe a few tweaks and places to tighten things up. I do know the City guys were pretty pumped about the turnout and hopefully they're looking forward to next year as much as I am!

No problem at all and thanks for the info. I will take it as a compliment. I appreciate that! I am the paranoid type. Looks like I'll be "playing up" next time! :p

As far as the course goes, I was very happy with it. I've played one other course, Timberlink, that was installed on a ball golf course. I enjoyed your layout much more than Timberlink, and it has permanent baskets. The bottle-neck at #3-4 was the only issue that I had with the course at all. I'm sure that you could, like you say, tweak some things. But I thought that the course really used the elevation and trees that were available very effectively.

Someone I spoke thought the course seemed a little LHBH/RHFH biased, but I didn't notice it. I enjoyed the right turners a lot. Of course, I keep a couple different Stingrays, beat Aviars and a Dragon in my bag... so turning right is fun for me.

Anyway, I do look forward to playing the course again sometime. I really hope that something works out either with this course, or somewhere else in Washington Co. Then I need to get you up here to Cumberland to help me convince Allegany Co. that they need a course!

Little Heiskel Challenge/Trophy Disc

Here you go ferretdance03. I know that there were different molds and colors... but this one is a Star Aviar P & A at 172g. This is a disc that would go right in my bag if it wasn't a trophy, too!

picture.php

And if anyone is interested in what the heck a "Little Heiskell" is, check out this link. http://www.hagerstownmd.org/com_affairs/LittleHeiskell.asp

Last edited:
I just want to thank you for the event. The whole day was a lot of fun.

I thought the course layout was great. Good use of fairways, elevation changes and trees to mix up each hole. The pace of play was not a big deal for me. First round we played with little to no back up or delay on holes. Second round had a few short backups from the group in front of us. But I'd say the whole day moved along well.

Thanks again and I look forward to playing in another event at this location. -Ken

Every person who has ever won in an Am division has been called a bagger....

The course map looks interesting. I was considering on making the drive to play, but three hours one way solo for a one day tourney put me off. The weather ended up being fantastic for disc golf and I regret not going since there will probably not be too much more "perfect discin weather" days for tournaments up here this year.

The course could not have been too FH friendly or Jay gobrecht would have done better :).

Someone I spoke thought the course seemed a little LHBH/RHFH biased, but I didn't notice it.
That's funny. I hear the same thing about Whispering Falls too. Know what's funny? I barely throw FH at all! I threw a handful of rollers and a few annys, but a think I threw more bug hyzers than anything.

Anyway, I do look forward to playing the course again sometime. I really hope that something works out either with this course, or somewhere else in Washington Co. Then I need to get you up here to Cumberland to help me convince Allegany Co. that they need a course!
I have an iron in the fire with Washington Co. Stay tuned. And I'd love to come your way if you have a piece of land. Drop me an email sometime, let's make it happen.

Glad you made it out and had a good time. There was a definite back up between holes 4/5, which I knew would happen. I just didn't like any other hole position for hole 5, and I knew I wanted to keep the 890' hole 4. So we dealt with a backup. I may make a tweak there.

I just want to thank you for the event. The whole day was a lot of fun.

I thought the course layout was great. Good use of fairways, elevation changes and trees to mix up each hole. The pace of play was not a big deal for me. First round we played with little to no back up or delay on holes. Second round had a few short backups from the group in front of us. But I'd say the whole day moved along well.

Thanks again and I look forward to playing in another event at this location. -Ken

The course map looks interesting. I was considering on making the drive to play, but three hours one way solo for a one day tourney put me off. The weather ended up being fantastic for disc golf and I regret not going since there will probably not be too much more "perfect discin weather" days for tournaments up here this year.

The course could not have been too FH friendly or Jay gobrecht would have done better :).

Three solo hours is a bummer, I doubt I'd have done that either. I played with Jay. the first round, he was struggling a little to pick up strokes. He said himself that he was throwing more unpracticed and experimental shots than he had in a while.

Hopefully next year you can get someone to ride with you!

That's funny. I hear the same thing about Whispering Falls too. Know what's funny? I barely throw FH at all! I threw a handful of rollers and a few annys, but a think I threw more bug hyzers than anything.

I have virtually no FH... but I love to throw anny's and understable discs BH... so I enjoyed the heck out of those holes. #10 & #12 were two of my favorites, with #10 probably being my favorite hole on the course.

I have an iron in the fire with Washington Co. Stay tuned. And I'd love to come your way if you have a piece of land. Drop me an email sometime, let's make it happen.

I really hope the Wash. Co. route works out!

I've laid out 9 or 18 holes at no fewer than 6 locations in Mineral Co., WV and Allegany Co., MD with my two Skillshots. If I can ever actually get a foot in the door I'll hit you up for some advice.

Hey, ferret. Can you send me a copy of a scorecard from the tourney? If you can, let me know and we'll figure how to get it to me. Or you could post it on here as the tourney setup, right???

Thanks!

Thanks for that. I appreciate it!

The course map looks interesting.

I actually uploaded the tourney map just a few minutes ago. And it was very interesting. The map can't give you any idea of the elevation change (never extreme, but present on most holes to some degree), how well some of the baskets are actually protected or some of the cool landscaping around the course.

I actually uploaded the tourney map just a few minutes ago. And it was very interesting. The map can't give you any idea of the elevation change (never extreme, but present on most holes to some degree), how well some of the baskets are actually protected or some of the cool landscaping around the course.

The tournament setup map got removed from the site. Kind of a bummer. But I guess the mods have their reasons. I know it's not the permanent layout, but I thought that it was cool to see.