• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Halo Plastic Series

I think it's regular Star with a neat paint job. How that seems to make these more overstable I'm not sure.

If it's no better than Star then I'll just wait for a bigger release to try it out. I'm surely not going to spend the $40-$50 they are going for currently.

Dammit why didn't somebody tell me there were Sidewinders & Roadrunners!?

Where are you seeing sidewinders and roadrunners? Not that I need more discs.

I felt my buddies Halo Shryke over the weekend, and will try to describe it the best i can.

Plastic felt like a blend of Star and Shimmer plastics.

Stiffness was similar to a stiffer blend of Star plastic. The plastic still had a mild give to it, but not much.

Grip on the Halo was nice. I thought with the stiffness of the disc it wouldn't have much grip, but these felt very close to 750g plastic from Prodigy, which is a very grippy premium plastic.

Dome (flatness, think OTBs scale) was moderate. The disc felt really nice in the hand. The dome has a smooth transition from the shoulder to flight plate.

The Halo Shryke was more overstable than his star ones, even a new one. His average distance with the Shryke is around 325'.

Overall, i did like the feel of the plastic. However, i wonder if it'll chip because of the blend of plastics. It feels like it may.

Hopefully my description/review was helpful so you dont go blindly spending on a stack and become disappointed by them.

Side note, since i couldn't edit my last post due to time, here is a list of important items on a scale from 1-10.

Stiffness - 8/10
Grip- 7/10
Dome- 6/10

I can't say anything about durability since I don't throw them.

I got a few of the Halo Star Wraiths. First of all, wow they are good looking discs, just like the ones posted as the example disc. I heard that they tended to be more stable, but I am not sure I entirely agree. The wraiths will stand up a tiny bit, glide, and then generously fade. I think the fade might be a touch more than normal new star wraiths, but they do fly a few feet further. I have a lightly seasoned wraith and the halo was keeping up distance-wise, but did not turn at all and faded. Ultimately the halos ended at my normal distance with my go to wraith, but were 30 feet further left. I did get one freak throw where all of the stars aligned and ended up 30 ft further on a long hole than I have ever been, I missed my chance for my first two on this hole.

I got a few of the Halo Star Wraiths. First of all, wow they are good looking discs, just like the ones posted as the example disc. I heard that they tended to be more stable, but I am not sure I entirely agree. The wraiths will stand up a tiny bit, glide, and then generously fade. I think the fade might be a touch more than normal new star wraiths, but they do fly a few feet further. I have a lightly seasoned wraith and the halo was keeping up distance-wise, but did not turn at all and faded. Ultimately the halos ended at my normal distance with my go to wraith, but were 30 feet further left. I did get one freak throw where all of the stars aligned and ended up 30 ft further on a long hole than I have ever been, I missed my chance for my first two on this hole.

Damn, I want a couple. Wish I could find them.

Heads up, HeroDiscs.com has some Halo Star stuff in stock, including Valkyries, Firebirds, Shrykes, Thunderbirds, and Sidewinders. All with a Japan Open stamp. I picked up two Sidewinders and a Firebird

Wow these are gorgeous! Two Sidewinders and a Firebird. Don't know when I'll get a chance to throw them, but looking at them sure is nice.

JapanOpenresized.jpg

I've only thrown the Halo Shryke, not bagging it, but love the way it looks and feels.

Disc Review:Innova Halo Shryke

I have a nice pink Halo Shryke that is awesome. First Innova disc I've bought in awhile.

Last edited:
I would say that the Halo plastic is decidedly overstable! I have 2 halo wraith's and 3 halo destroyers, and for me these are all very overstable. For what it is worth, I usually throw star destroyers (370-395) and have several in varying points of wear. I also play in Oklahoma wind, so these strong fading puppies will get use for sure. Additionally, the first throw of my wraith I was not expecting that type of overstable and it faded hard into a street. The plastic sort of chipped and scrapped. Based off of hitting the street one time, I do not have much excitement of the durability especially for 25 bucks a piece. After I hit some trees, Ill let you know.

Anybody else have their Halos look matte and fingerprinty after a while? I had put one of my Halo Sidewinders aside as a backup in April and decided to hang it today until I need it. Pulled it out of storage, and it looks like what happens when you take something out of the refrigerator b and leave it for 5 minutes. Dull and not at all glossy. The Halo Firebird is doing the same thing.

I wonder if something is happening to the plastic. I'd heard old plastic tends to do this after a number of years, but I just bought these Halos 4 months ago. For reference I have a Swirly S-Line CD2 from 2018 on the wall right next to it, and it's still glossy and shiny.

I have some pro destroyers that do this. Almost have a chalky film to them or something. I can wash them off in the sink with soapy water and they look normal again. Then I stash them away for a couple of months and they do it again.

I think plastic puts off some sort of fumes (for lack of a better description). Ever buy a new vehicle and weeks or months later you get that hazy stuff on the inside of the windshield from the new plastic dash? Same sort of thing with some discs I suppose.

I can't speak for the halo plastic, but all the newer Prodigy I had bought last year did this too. And after only a few months. All were 400 plastic. Maybe the Halo is similar. They look like garbage now.

That's not a good sign for longevity. Most likely it's leaching out some sort of plasticizer additive, eventually it will become brittle and more likely to crack/break.

It's happening to old CE discs, and it happened relatively quickly on some of Legacy discs that I've seen. I picked up an experimental Patriot last year that started doing it after a few months. Repeatedly washing it off will make the problem worse.

I have some pro destroyers that do this. Almost have a chalky film to them or something. I can wash them off in the sink with soapy water and they look normal again. Then I stash them away for a couple of months and they do it again.

Yeah, "chalky film" is a good way to describe it. Mine didn't come off with soap and water, but I didn't scrub at it very hard.

That's not a good sign for longevity. Most likely it's leaching out some sort of plasticizer additive, eventually it will become brittle and more likely to crack/break.

It's happening to old CE discs, and it happened relatively quickly on some of Legacy discs that I've seen. I picked up an experimental Patriot last year that started doing it after a few months. Repeatedly washing it off will make the problem worse.

Yeah the CE plastic getting brittle was the first thing I thought of when I saw this. This sat in a dark area at room temperature, so it's not like it should have experienced issues from light or heat. Gotta say I'm concerned.

Latest posts