• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has Prodigy Peaked?

But in court the other side would say those numbers are made up or false. So don't grant the injunction as they have no proof those numbers are valid and granting an injunction on false information would hurt my client (GB).

((Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer....but it makes sense Gannon's side would argue against the numbers being factual if they are being used to request an injunction)).

Gannon's side probably has no access to their overall business numbers though (right now at least). There are no factual numbers, there are only theoretical numbers "if" Gannon is allowed to just leave. I'm sure they'll argue the damages if it comes to that...but that's going to take actually digging in and coming up with their own projections. That's not going to happen with the request of this immediate injunction. They're filing to make Gannon stay their spokesperson NOW, not about whether he owes them money for leaving when the entire thing is resolved.

I would doubt Gannon's side is even going to bother arguing that. Their argument is that "he's allowed to leave, they breached, it's irrelevant what it costs Prodigy since Prodigy breached".

There's an entire generation of disc golf players who don't even know who he is. Other than maybe "the guy who does the Preserve?". He's far from a highly visible player these days.

I have to agree. Cale doesn't have the same pull as a Gannon or Robinson.

I'm guessing it's a combination of "lost advertising because Gannon ends up on coverage a lot" combined with "Gannon leaving like "this" just made us look really stupid and our reputation is suffering".

They definitely didn't spend that on marketing Gannon. They aren't moving that much plastic with his name...they're moving a lot of plastic because of Gannon that has nothing to do with his name on it...simply because he's a top player advertising their product.

But yes, it's probably exaggerated. When you want a court to grant an emergency injunction, you have to imagine worst case scenario, then put that out as your actual damage.
I watched most of the DGPT and Major events last year. And TBQH, before this hullabaloo, I probably woulda had to use process of elimination to remember that Gannon is sponsored by Prodigy. Woulda taken 3 minutes of "well I know he's not with X... or Y.... or.... ... ... is it Prodigy?"

For me - his name is not synonymous at all with the brand.

I kind of understood that. I guess my question was more in how did they get to a 1.5 million number? Did they spend that on marketing Gannon? I can't imagine. Loss is revenue from disc sales? If that's true, I gotta imagine Gannon wouldn't be too upset if they were moving that much plastic with his name.. unless he's getting shorted.

Since they've claimed potentially up to $1.5 million in lost sales in a court filing, if I'm Gannon's lawyer or agent, I'm demanding a forensic audit of Prodigy's books, including all documentation relating to the formula they use to attribute sales to individual team members for the purpose of calculating royalties.

And if I'm KJ's, IR's, or a certain high profile former Prodigy sponsored player who bailed in the past off-season's lawyer or agent, I'm filing a friends of the court brief in support of the the audit to ensure they haven't ripped off my client.

Since they've claimed potentially up to $1.5 million in lost sales in a court filing, if I'm Gannon's lawyer or agent, I'm demanding a forensic audit of Prodigy's books, including all documentation relating to the formula they use to attribute sales to individual team members for the purpose of calculating royalties.

And if I'm KJ's, IR's, or a certain high profile former Prodigy sponsored player who bailed in the past off-season's lawyer or agent, I'm filing a friends of the court brief in support of the the audit to ensure they haven't ripped off my client.

Someone should send this to Drew Gibson.

I'm sure he will get the word out to the correct parties.

This thread showed me KJ dissing Prodigy on live coverage and meaning it. That's just as bad or worse--I associate KJ with Prodigy. I associated GB with his own GB logo more than Prodigy.

I don't know how Prodigy can survive with a culture of sponsored players who despise their company.

Too bad. I like the A2, A3, and FX-2.

To answer the title of this thread: It has, at least with me.

When I got back into the sport about 5 years ago, I went pretty heavily in on Prodigy. With little knowledge about different brands, I liked the simple logic of Prodigy's naming convention at the time (the same was true with DM, and I fell pretty hard for them, too). Now, five years later, I don't bag either brand (with DM, it was the difficulty of continuing to buy their "originals" like the CD2, the MD, the authentic FD - but that's another story).

With Prodigy I just became increasingly dissatisfied by the variability between the same molds (even the same molds bought at the same time). I still hold on to a 400 F7 for sentimental reasons, but I've sold, donated, gifted or trashed another 20+ discs.

So yeah - I'm an n of 1, but Prodigy has peaked....

To answer the title of this thread: It has, at least with me.

When I got back into the sport about 5 years ago, I went pretty heavily in on Prodigy. With little knowledge about different brands, I liked the simple logic of Prodigy's naming convention at the time (the same was true with DM, and I fell pretty hard for them, too). Now, five years later, I don't bag either brand (with DM, it was the difficulty of continuing to buy their "originals" like the CD2, the MD, the authentic FD - but that's another story).

With Prodigy I just became increasingly dissatisfied by the variability between the same molds (even the same molds bought at the same time). I still hold on to a 400 F7 for sentimental reasons, but I've sold, donated, gifted or trashed another 20+ discs.

So yeah - I'm an n of 1, but Prodigy has peaked....

Very similar for me. When I got back into the game my brain was like "Prodigy naming convention...AMAZING...I'm all in!". Then I got 2 Prodigy discs, both were awful in quality (one had tons of flashing, the other was the chalky plastic I think they've largely corrected now) and I was out just as fast.

Or....does he take a year off from playing in tournaments? Is there a clause in his contract requiring him to play?

yes

"PLAYERS ARE REQUIRED TO:
6. Participate in 20 PDGA sanctioned tournaments per year..."

so if he took a year off of playing, he would be in breach of the agreement

One interesting thing I've read about this whole thing....he was a minor when the contract was signed, by his mother. So is it legally enforceable against him?

my understanding is yes, specifically because it was co-signed by his mother

yes

"PLAYERS ARE REQUIRED TO:
6. Participate in 20 PDGA sanctioned tournaments per year..."

so if he took a year off of playing, he would be in breach of the agreement

my understanding is yes, specifically because it was co-signed by his mother

However, he could play 20 C-Tier Flex Starts and be within the constraints of the contract...

On the Nick and Matt how last night, the Disc Golf dot Law attorney recommended it's a great opportunity for Prodigy to be purchased by a competitor or entrepreneur.

On the Nick and Matt how last night, the Disc Golf dot Law attorney recommended it's a great opportunity for Prodigy to be purchased by a competitor or entrepreneur.

{ahem} DM has a million dollars and needs better state-side production.

I would 100% watch Gannon's year of sandbagging if there was coverage.

In the sports world this is a "contract year" for Buhr. The better he plays the bigger his next contract will be.
Even though he will still get a good contract if he has an off year, he would be very foolish to purposely play bad this season.

Will it help Prodigy if he has a great year? of course, but he has to look at his own best interest.

Latest posts