• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Hatchet, opinion and profile pic

Just grabbed a 171 VIP at my local shop today. Hope to throw it this week. Feels great in the mitts.

I just picked up an orange creamsicle 172 TP. It's too bad that it's going to break in, because it flies nice and straight right now.

Had a 171 VIP delivered earlier this week and was able to get out and throw it today. This disc is wonderful. With enough space for it to get it's full flight path and some decent hyzer at release, it flips up, glides, rolls over, glides and then fades back for a nice forward finish. It even did pretty well in a 10-15mph headwind when aiming a little more left with a little more hyzer to compensate for the added rollover.

Feels good in the hand, and the bright neon yellow is really easy to spot. Knowing this will break in, I picked up a second one of 174g after rooting around in the Spring stockup shipment at my local Play It Again Sports. So far, this one is sticking in the bag since it's just fun to throw for those wide open holes.

Had a 171 VIP delivered earlier this week and was able to get out and throw it today. This disc is wonderful. With enough space for it to get it's full flight path and some decent hyzer at release, it flips up, glides, rolls over, glides and then fades back for a nice forward finish. It even did pretty well in a 10-15mph headwind when aiming a little more left with a little more hyzer to compensate for the added rollover.

Feels good in the hand, and the bright neon yellow is really easy to spot. Knowing this will break in, I picked up a second one of 174g after rooting around in the Spring stockup shipment at my local Play It Again Sports. So far, this one is sticking in the bag since it's just fun to throw for those wide open holes.

That's been my experience with it, same color too. I like the opaque bright yellow VIP ones so much I bought two more just like it. I haven't been able to throw them in that much of a headwind but I do love it for tailwinds. So much glide.

I now have four of these things, picked up a blue 174g tp to go along with my other blue tp,purple tp and white tp. The blues and purple all have a consistent s-flight and vary from 169-174g, but the 171g white one turns over and never comes back for some reason, very flippy, so I'm only bagging a blue and purple right now. I suppose I should try an opto to compare with... hey Steeze, if the weather holds up this week I might road trip to Emporia, PM me if you have a free day and want to play one of the Jones, would love to meet a DGCR'er in person.

Based on my first throws with a VIP Hatchet today, it's a tic less stable and a bit longer than my opto Saint.

The first time I threw the Hatchet I thought to myself uh-oh. But I went out today and played about 9 out of 18 holes or so with it to get used to different shots and angles. I ace ran 2 baskets and parked a few others. Really liking it now, dosent require much power, also worked really nice for hyzer flips and even rollers. Really far flying disc with great speed and glide.

So what happens if thrown flat with enough power to get it out 300'-350' ?

My opto Saint will slide to the right then come back with some med.amount of fade (a nice S - turn flight)

My opto Fury will fly straight, then about half way down it starts a late sweeping turn to the right , with a little tiny fade at the end to keep it from diving into the dirt.

How does the Hatchet compare to these?

So what happens if thrown flat with enough power to get it out 300'-350' ?

My opto Saint will slide to the right then come back with some med.amount of fade (a nice S - turn flight)

My opto Fury will fly straight, then about half way down it starts a late sweeping turn to the right , with a little tiny fade at the end to keep it from diving into the dirt.

I describe the Hatchet as a longer and more reliable Saint, and they immediately kicked my Saint's out of the bag.

Teemkey pretty much nailed the description, slightly less stable but longer so the overall line is similar I think.

Could anyone compare the Hatchet to the MVP Volt and/or Servo? I was interested in this disc, but didn't really want to overlap with what I am currently throwing. Thanks.

Could anyone compare the Hatchet to the MVP Volt and/or Servo? I was interested in this disc, but didn't really want to overlap with what I am currently throwing. Thanks.

Volt is a longer stable flight whereas a Servo is like a shorter distance Volt. Servos come in lighter weights down to 155g I believe where you can get a little turn from them before they fade and get a little longer distance.

I'd put the Hatchet more on par with an MVP Amp if I were to compare to an MVP mold. I feel like the Hatchet turns easier and earlier in it's flight whereas an Amp turns later in the flight. Both could be helpful depending on the line you throw.

You can easily bag a Hatchet, Servo and Volt and not have a ton of overlap. The Volt and Servo likely overlap the most unless you have a super beat Volt that is flippier. Hope that helps.

I've only had a handful of throws with a 170g VIP Hatchet, but I'm pretty familiar with MVP's lineup.

The Hatchet doesn't really compare to the Volt or Servo. The Hatchet has way less HSS and LSS than either of these discs, and quite a bit more glide.

I'd compare the Hatchet a beat Valkyrie, or a very beat Amp.

Right in the middle of the Saint and Fury.

Yesterday I was out field testing Trilogy discs in the speed 9 range. I had a couple different Saints, most of which flew as you described above (aside from my Opto metal flake 166, which is surprisingly stable). I have two Opto Fury, one 175 and one 172, both had a good amount of turn on them before a gradual fade. Also in the mix was one Opto Vision, and my trusty Star Sidewinder for reference.

The 3 Hatchets I've got behaved very similarly to each other - 166 VIP metal flake, 168 VIP metal flake, 171 TP. These discs impressed me right off the bat. I was in an open field, facing some moderate wind. They had a very controllable amount of turn, less than the Fury and Vision, but more than the Saint or Sidewinder. The Hatchets have glide for DAYS, and even did well against the wind. When thrown with the wind however, their turn was greatly exaggerated and uncontrollable. The Hatchets have a dependable fade and manage to stay elevated and use their glide to provide time for the disc to fade back to a landing.

I play casual rounds with a Fade Crunch Box, and I'm not sure the Hatchets are going to kick anything out of the bag. My GL Saint & I have a certain 'understanding' and the Hatchet just has too much overlap. It also has a bit too much fade to kick out any of my purely anhyzer selections like my Sidewinder.

During Tournament or doubles rounds I bring out the DD Ranger to provide more disc options during the round. I will definitely bring a Hatchet out with me for those rounds when the extra bag space is available. So, the Hatchet is essentially a very solid 6th man (if you're a basketball fan) coming off the bench.

After playing about 60 holes with this disc, I think it will replace my Underworld as my go to driver....

Could you expand on this statement? It sounds like you're saying there is more turn (less HSS) when thrown with a tailwind, which hasn't been my experience.

My apologies for the confusion. I should've clarified that when I was in the field, I was throwing with moderate to gusty crosswind. Throwing RHBH, against a right-to-left crosswind, the Hatchet fights that crosswind well, and remained controllable during the turn and fade portions of flight. Thrown against a left-to-right crosswind (which I confusingly labeled 'with the wind'), there was very little control to the disc during its flight and sailed wildly off the intended line.

You two were correct in mentioning that in a tailwind the disc becomes more stable, and its flight is significantly shortened.

Last edited:

Latest posts