• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Hatchet, opinion and profile pic

Picked up a light blue 168g Hatchet in Tournament plastic with red stamp while I was over at the DD store today, Steeze is dead on with everything he's said about this disc! I'm also a huge fan of the Escape and always have at least a couple in the bag, the Hatchet is going to pair very nicely with them and is going to kick my Saint's out of the bag. For me (max distance about 425') the Hatchet is a longer and more reliable/controllable Saint, I was hitting 400' on my best pulls with it doing a bit of field practice in the back acreage when I got home from Emporia. My only regret now is that I didn't get another one, although I normally prefer the feel of the Westside VIP plastic over TP, so my second one will probably be VIP.

Always good to know I'm not crazy. I just can't get over how easy to throw they are and how much glide they get. I too regret not buying more but I'll end up with a few more soon I think.

Just caved and ordered a blue metal flake VIP from Infinite Discs. 165 grams so my noodle arm can hang.

Steeze, I'm not inking it, in case it sucks. :p

Just caved and ordered a blue metal flake VIP from Infinite Discs. 165 grams so my noodle arm can hang.

Steeze, I'm not inking it, in case it sucks. :p

Praying you think it sucks. I would love a sparkle blue in that weight. Gimme! :p

Out glide a diamond?!? :eek:
How would this compare to the jade?
I already ordered 2 Max clear. :D

Diamond has nothing on this for glide. True story.

As for a jade, it's a lot of the same but at normal weights. It just feels right though. The jade is a tonka truck in the hand and the hatchet is something made just for me. Not you. Mine. Order me some. I love you long time. :gross:

Diamond has nothing on this for glide. True story.

As for a jade, it's a lot of the same but at normal weights. It just feels right though. The jade is a tonka truck in the hand and the hatchet is something made just for me. Not you. Mine. Order me some. I love you long time. :gross:

I was going to pick up one of each-Jade and Hatchet, but this is making me lean towards just grabbing a could Hatchets.

Nice thing about Jade is the lighter weights - I ordered a 159, the heaviest they had at DN on sale, which should be fun to throw.

I think a 168 VIP Hatchet is in my near future.

So it sounds like the Hatchet is falling in between the Saint and the Fury for stability?

Just ordered two of these for myself. I am gonna go crazy once this snow melts, I have at least a half dozen molds that I haven't even gotten to try out yet!

Just ordered two of these for myself. I am gonna go crazy once this snow melts, I have at least a half dozen molds that I haven't even gotten to try out yet!

Glad i'm not the only one, my stack of new molds/plastics just keeps growing. :eek:

Me three. I see no point in pretending to learn what a disc is about in snow boots, parka, no footing, freezing hands, etc.

I can't wait to hit the soccer field where I practice with some of the new toys I've accumulated this winter but have yet to throw.

My local shop has the Hatchet in stock, so I may have to mosey over there just to check em out.

It was -14 when I woke up. This winter is ridiculous!

I gots me sum new plastic too I can throw come June when the snow melts, just 3 more months! :D

Loving the hatchet

Played with mine this weekend in 15 - 20 mph winds. I had to power down a lot to throw this disc. But I was landing within a few feet of every target 300 or less. I could get a long slow turn out of it, flip it for the straightest flight I have seen yet on a driver and with some real finesse, I was able to pull off some soft hyzer lines as well.

Shape in the hand is the biggest difference. I never liked how the fury felt. Too rounded on the edge. My own personal ratings of the fury are 8/5/-2/2 or close to it. For the Hatchet it easily meets it's numbers and I'd say you could call it even faster if you wanted. I'm getting as much out of it currently as I do the escape and renegade. Little more with the renegade in certain winds but on open and calm holes I can flip up the hatchet and just let it turn slowly and get even more distance. If you love the fury I'm not saying switch to the hatchet. Stick with want you like but if you get a chance to throw one of these do it. It might settle your internal debate with one throw.

Actually not much of a Fury fan. But the flight numbers made it intriguing to me. I've been looking for a nice US fairway, and the Underworld isn't cutting it thus far. So, perhaps the Witness is what I'm looking for.

My local shop just some in, do I need to grab one?
Or will it be too much overlap between my other discs?

Most saints, even newer flippy ones are still more stable in flight. It'll overlap probably most with the Fury but for me it's not even a decision. I would never throw a Fury over this mold but again I didn't like the Fury and I love the Escape. The hatchet is like an escape in my hand that has been beaten in perfectly for tailwinds and turnovers. I think the glide is better than anything else I've thrown for a fairway. So basically you'll have to decide if you want to spend the money. It'll be cheaper if you buy one and hate it cause you can sell it pretty easily. A lot of people are still trying to get one. If you love it you'll probably be out everything you've invested in the fury and want more hatchets. :D

I don't know what it would take for you to accomplish that. I usually get an S curve out of it. I've had some straight shots with a little fade at the end by using some hyzer in a tailwind. I suppose you could really give it a lot of hyzer and throw hard and it would go pretty straight. I think a beat up more high speed stable disc would be better for hyzer flips to straight. For me the hatchet is nice for full power turnovers and powered down or tailwind flex shots that glide a whole lot.

My 175G VIP (champion) Hatchet arrived yesterday and I was immediately disappointed with how much tilt the inner rim has, was also a bit surprised with how narrow the rim was, it is not terribly narrow or wide, just narrower than I would have expected, I was thinking something a little beefier more like a Beast rim, it is definitely narrower than a Beast.

As usual, the plastic and molding are near perfect, no sunken flight plate, no warping, tasty feeling plastic, and the weight is spot on according to my scale.

The Scandinavians/Europeans are really into the tilted inner rims/PLUS+ molding, but they have some clear disadvantages, and controlling height and throwing into headwinds are some of them, a squared rim lets you project and control height better than releasing from an angled rim.

My Opto (champion) Saint Pro had the same issues, I threw it 10 times then sold it, but then a friend let me throw his Gold Line (star) Saint Pro and the rim tilt was not nearly as bad and now bag one for controlled placement shots. So hoping the Tournament (star) Hatchet might mold up with less inner rim tilt.

Latest posts