• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Have you seen this MoFo? Golf Mahal?

Yes I have seen this monstrosity and I love it!

Just got my Midnight bag in today and all I can say is this thing is nice.
Wanted a new Grip A-Series but couldn't justify the price after finding out it's made in Taiwan.
For $7.00 more I get a nice bag and support an American company with real American employees.

She's loaded with 31 discs at the moment (That's what was in my trunk) and she's heavy......

Once I get it pared down to 18 - 20 it should carry nice.
Will run it through the paces tomorrow morning ion the course and see how it goes.

I will second that there has to be a way to deal with all these loose hanging straps.

Just had my buddy pick me up a new mahal for $180 at the MR parking lot sale. If you know somebody in Bozeman today this is your chance to get one on the cheap.

Just had my buddy pick me up a new mahal for $180 at the MR parking lot sale. If you know somebody in Bozeman today this is your chance to get one on the cheap.

I wish I had read this yesterday, and I wish I had friends in Bozeman. Just ordered a midnight last night. Soon it will be time to give my L-series some rest :D yay!!!

I wish I had read this yesterday, and I wish I had friends in Bozeman. Just ordered a midnight last night. Soon it will be time to give my L-series some rest :D yay!!!

I suspect at that price they're selling off previous gen GMs - The new features are worth the premium :D

I suspect at that price they're selling off previous gen GMs - The new features are worth the premium :D

Having a second generation I agree. The new features are nice:

Matching color straps of your bag
Improved rain fly
Scorecard/pencil holders
Removable waist belt

I'm sure I'm missing others, but for a bag made in 'Merica and cheaper then they were three years ago AND a lifetime warranty that follows the bag you can't go wrong here. I remember when I got mine and people were there is no way this company is going to make it making $300 golf bags, and look at them now. All the other company's are trying to mimic the functionality of them.

Again, name something that they've done that some other disc golf company has copied.

Mystery makes a great backpacking pack, but they haven't done anything more than feature tweaking to make a pack you can fill with disc golf gear. I don't think they've fully committed to disc golf, both in their design and in their outreach. They don't sponsor anyone on the PDGA tour, don't advertise on disc golf sites, and aren't out there trying to grow the sport.

Again, name something that they've done that some other disc golf company has copied.

Mystery makes a great backpacking pack, but they haven't done anything more than feature tweaking to make a pack you can fill with disc golf gear. I don't think they've fully committed to disc golf, both in their design and in their outreach. They don't sponsor anyone on the PDGA tour, don't advertise on disc golf sites, and aren't out there trying to grow the sport.

Drink holders and zippers. Pow! That's 2 things I'm pretty sure they invented.

Drink holders and zippers. Pow! That's 2 things I'm pretty sure they invented.

Ugh, I know. It makes me sick how many bags have copied their bottle holders. And the mini pocket! It's shameful.

The problem I have with the Mahal and the Ozark is that they aren't true backpacks. At least not by the definition of having a fully encapsulated design. Essentially, all a Mahal is, is a traditional disc golf bag but with their yoke backpack system attached instead of quad straps. It's just an open top disc holder. Without their quality strap system (and it is quality, don't get me wrong), it's not much of a bag.

If it's your thing, I won't hold it against you. It's a quality bag. It's super comfortable. The yoke system is uniquely superior to the straps on other backpack offerings. But don't fanatically act baffled when some people aren't awed by the bag. It hardly offers a hands down argument to being the best. I've owned one and aside from the comfort aspect, it's fairly middle of the road in features compared with the other backpacks out there.

I am about 95% certain that I will buy this as some point... is anyone really tall and own one of these? I am nearly 6'-6" and am really interested in the different yokes so that I can actually own a bag that fits me and sits correctly. I don't like all of the 1 size fits all bags as their waist belts almost always come across my stomach and are completely useless or end up sitting on my middle back instead of the lower back.

I'm 6'3" 250 and got a large, it fits perfectly after I adjusted it using the video on the site. I have 2 other friends that are taller but don't weigh 170 soaking wet that have mediums, and theirs fit perfectly.
They seem to be rather dynamic, I bet a large fully extended could fit Shaq

They don't sponsor anyone? What about Christian Dietrich, he's sponsored by them. Levi is the man that designed it because he wanted a better disc golf bag then was available at the time. Dana liked the idea and totally ran with it. They have also donated a bag to the 2011 and 2012 USADGC Champion that was advertised on the USADGC site as well.

Last edited:
They don't sponsor anyone? What about Christian Dietrich, he's sponsored by them. Levi is the man that designed it because he wanted a better disc golf bag then was available at the time. Dana liked the idea and totally ran with it. They have also donated a bag to the 2011 and 2012 USADGC Champion that was advertised on the USADGC site as well.

They're also title sponsors for the Mystery Ranch Open.

Oh ya I forgot about that one, I have a mini from that tournament. Thanks Holotone.

Having a second generation I agree. The new features are nice:

Matching color straps of your bag
Improved rain fly
Scorecard/pencil holders
Removable waist belt

I'm sure I'm missing others, but for a bag made in 'Merica and cheaper then they were three years ago AND a lifetime warranty that follows the bag you can't go wrong here. I remember when I got mine and people were there is no way this company is going to make it making $300 golf bags, and look at them now. All the other company's are trying to mimic the functionality of them.

Sorry to break it to the nay-sayers but these were all "factory seconds" of the newest run. Mine was made in march and includes all of those snazzy above mentioned features. The "blemish" on mine, if you can call it that, was a material imperfection on the water bottle pocket that measure at 1/4 inch. I could post a photo but my camera isn't nice enough to pick up the flaw. Also, I know a guy who knows a guy so it turned out to be $160...so that premium, well, er, um, yup.

Sorry to break it to the nay-sayers but these were all "factory seconds" of the newest run. Mine was made in march and includes all of those snazzy above mentioned features. The "blemish" on mine, if you can call it that, was a material imperfection on the water bottle pocket that measure at 1/4 inch. I could post a photo but my camera isn't nice enough to pick up the flaw. Also, I know a guy who knows a guy so it turned out to be $160...so that premium, well, er, um, yup.

i know it might seem capitalist, but at that price i would've bought every one there and resell them here, lol

Sweet deal! I think you had a different Mystery Ranch bag when you showed me around Diamond X a while back. Maybe all that plastic you can carry around in the Mahal will slow you down up on that course. :p

Sweet deal! I think you had a different Mystery Ranch bag when you showed me around Diamond X a while back. Maybe all that plastic you can carry around in the Mahal will slow you down up on that course. :p

Yeah, I'm still using that Flip Monkey most of the time, just wanted the Mahal for the bigger outings. Cheers Royce!

Alright now I'm really excited. Today I got confirmation that my order was fulfilled today and got my UPS tracking number :D:D:D

Hopefully it will arrive in time for the tourney I will be playing this weekend.

They're also title sponsors for the Mystery Ranch Open.

The MRO is a great B Tier event at an awesome course, Bohart Ranch. Fun 2 day tourney with great prizes, many of those directly from MR. Dana has been out a number of years to kick it and check on his atheletes(they previously sponsored a Billings guy, Seth White, as well)

Levi has also designed a new smaller pack, they gave the proto away at the Swards Ranch Classic this spring.(Missed it by 2 strokes:gross:) I overheard him and Christian discussing the logistics of how they wanted the final product and its gonna be a great compliment to the Mahal. I think it holds somewhere in the upper teens for # of discs.

MR is deffinitely focused on their military contracts as that is their cash cow and why they can make all of the other great products that they do. However, Dana has great employees from so many different backgrounds working at the plant, so their gear really is driven by people like you and me. Levi plays a bunch of MT tourneys and hears the voice of the people.

Latest posts