• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Having trouble with the star boss

Strongbuns

I recently acquired a factory second star boss, but I'm having some trouble throwing it. I'm relatively new, and I usually throw my dx wraith for driving, and can get about 300-400 ft on a good throw. When I throw the boss though, I can't seem to get it to fly straight at all, it always fades to the left immediately. Any advice besides just spending a little more time with it?

I recently acquired a factory second star boss, but I'm having some trouble throwing it. I'm relatively new, and I usually throw my dx wraith for driving, and can get about 300-400 ft on a good throw. When I throw the boss though, I can't seem to get it to fly straight at all, it always fades to the left immediately. Any advice besides just spending a little more time with it?

Your dx Wraith may be beat, which would make it fly much straight easier. Alternatively if new star bosses are anything like new star Destroyers then it will be VERY overstable.

Get a champ Teebird and see if you can throw that straight 350+ .

Try more discs in DX plastic. They generally fly straighter than other drivers in premium plastic. Try a brand new DX wraith. Or maybe a DX Beast.

Fading to the left immediately means that you don't yet have enough speed and spin on the disc to make it behave as it's supposed to. There is a huge difference between throwing 300 feet on average and 400 feet on average. If you were throwing 400 feet, then that boss would be behaving much differently for you, so I'm guessing you're getting closer to 300 feet, which means a star boss is just too fast and overstable of a disc for you just yet.

As others have said, DX plastic is much less stable than star, especially after you use it for a while and beat it in. If you're looking to step up from your DX Wraith, then you could try a star wraith and see the difference in the stability between DX and star plastic. If you want something that might be a bit similar to your older DX wraith but in star plastic, you would need to step down a little in speed and try something like a star Valkyrie.

Honestly, since you're a newer player, I would recommend working with an Eagle and a TeeBird for a while until you really get the hang of the fairway drivers before moving up to something a bit faster. It will make you a better player overall.

Fading to the left immediately means that you don't yet have enough speed and spin on the disc to make it behave as it's supposed to. There is a huge difference between throwing 300 feet on average and 400 feet on average. If you were throwing 400 feet, then that boss would be behaving much differently for you, so I'm guessing you're getting closer to 300 feet, which means a star boss is just too fast and overstable of a disc for you just yet.

As others have said, DX plastic is much less stable than star, especially after you use it for a while and beat it in. If you're looking to step up from your DX Wraith, then you could try a star wraith and see the difference in the stability between DX and star plastic. If you want something that might be a bit similar to your older DX wraith but in star plastic, you would need to step down a little in speed and try something like a star Valkyrie.

Honestly, since you're a newer player, I would recommend working with an Eagle and a TeeBird for a while until you really get the hang of the fairway drivers before moving up to something a bit faster. It will make you a better player overall.

I have a DX TeeBird that I'm really liking. I'll try to stick to that and bench the boss until I'm ready for it. I guess it's just a little too much disc for me right now :p.

I've made the same mistake myself. I love driving with high-speed drivers because the feeling of the disc ripping out of your hand is just amazing. However, I've recently started throwing nothing but Roc3, and I can get my 180g to 350' when I get the technique right. And that's on a low, straight line. Try to throw mids and putters for a few weeks, and watch your game become better and better.

If you are interested in throwing the Boss try out a Pro instead, a lot less stable. ;d

Wouldn't it be better to encourage him to learn proper techinque so that he can throw the Boss at it's full potential, rather than telling him to throw a disc that is clearly too fast for him? I know from personal experience that it's not fun at all to put away the drivers, but it's really fun to park a 350' hole with a mid-range, when that's what you originally bought the driver for. I would say that you get a lot more out of the game if you are good at it, but that means that you have to give something to get there.
Just my opinion tho..

Wouldn't it be better to encourage him to learn proper techinque so that he can throw the Boss at it's full potential, rather than telling him to throw a disc that is clearly too fast for him? I know from personal experience that it's not fun at all to put away the drivers, but it's really fun to park a 350' hole with a mid-range, when that's what you originally bought the driver for. I would say that you get a lot more out of the game if you are good at it, but that means that you have to give something to get there.
Just my opinion tho..

Sure but not everyone is that into it to work at it, just giving an option if he wants to go out and just have fun.

Latest posts