• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hello from GA

bigmoebbq

Hello all,
I am just getting interested in trying some disc golf. I am a big guy so not sure if I can even do it but I am determined to be more active and this looks like a fun way to try. I am curious what most would refer to as a good starter pack. I hope to enjoy this sport with both my younger boys, 8 and 14. So I am curious as to how hard it is to share discs while playing. I have never payed but have played golf before. I have a few courses close to me so Playing would be easy. I am looking at gear but the skys the limit there.

Any suggestions before I hit a local store with a credit card?
I need Beginner set, Tips for practicing before I hit the course,
I think I would also like a back pack style carrying bag? Are those good?

Anything you think I need to know before going to the course?

Appreciate all the help.
Chris

Look up Disc Stalker in Lawrenceville - which is a brick and mortar store and the people there are disc golfers who can help you choose the correct stuff for all of you.
http://www.discstalker.com/ Hours and days open are at top of page.

They also have a huge selection of used discs at lower prices depending on your budget.

Start with midrange and putters and when you can throw those flat and straight, move on to drivers.....you'll thank me later.

Keith

Keith Johnson's advice is good. I'd like to add that an Innova Starter Set would be a decent first purchase, which I'd recommend for simplicity's sake if you go somewhere other than a place managed by disc golfers. I've found that the average retail sales floor guy at a place like Play-it-again Sports or Academy or Dick's or REI is going to know pretty much nothing about disc golf, and would be virtually incapable of helping you make a smart purchase. Don't buy the expensive fast driver that's all the rage, until you have some experience built up. As you learn to throw, think LOW, FLAT, AND STRAIGHT, emphasis on FLAT. With disc golf discs, low throws go farther than high throws.

And don't worry about your body holding you back. Disc golf is about having fun more than anything else, and beginners are welcome everywhere, especially if you bring your kids out with you. It's a great way to have fun while getting some exercise,and nobody is going to "judge" you harshly for being a beginner or being out of shape. The normal attitude is "the more the merrier." For your kids, let me say, if I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say (or said myself) "I wish I had discovered disc golf when I was younger", I'd have a big fat pile of dollars. Get them hooked early, but buy them putters in low weights to start out!

Last edited:
I was thinking I would try 9 holes at Alexander Park. Fairly close to my house. I have tread that the front 9 was much more forgiving than the back 9. I hope to go my Discstalker today to discuss first time setup.

Main goal to get more active doing fun stuff. Im a big guy 370 , but I have lost 30 since Jan 1st and hope to do more. But I also needed an activity that my whole family could enjoy. I even talked to wife into trying it. We will see how far that goes. I dont mind exercise if its something fun or entertaining. Walking the hood bores the crap out of me.

Sling them straight. Welcome this games very addictive. Like what was stated before I would start with the starter pack and see what you think of this game and move on from there. Looks like you got a couple of nice courses out your way.

If your ever up the GA/SC 85 way send a message. Always fun throwing with dgcr people.

bigmoe, shoot me a pm.
I have boxes of discs that I don't use and am sure that there are suitable discs for your boys.
I would be happy to send them to you so that they can start practicing with you.

Good advice I received when I started: Innova Leopard (fairway driver) and Discraft Buzzz (mid-range).

Slower discs are better for newer players. Your kids are going to want to try lighter weight discs, such as blizzard champion (Innova) or VIP air (Westside discs). Lighter means 150 to 160 g.

I went and got a set of 3 from Discstalker in lawrenceville near me. Good shop . So many discs. I played my first 27 holes today. So much fun but man do I suck! Anyway Thanks for the warm welcome, I can see me hanging in this place for a long time!

I went and got a set of 3 from Discstalker in lawrenceville near me. Good shop . So many discs. I played my first 27 holes today. So much fun but man do I suck! Anyway Thanks for the warm welcome, I can see me hanging in this place for a long time!
Man, an entire store filled with golf discs. Good thing I live all the way in west Cobb. I'm a noob like you and I've already bought way too many discs. :)

Man, an entire store filled with golf discs. Good thing I live all the way in west Cobb. I'm a noob like you and I've already bought way too many discs. :)

Well - If YOU ever want to touch discs in person , you could go to Disc Caddie - a Brick and Mortar store in Marietta.....:D

I am sure I will check them all out I found out there was a tournament going on today nearby.. Well 30 miles away.. I took my boys to check it out and see what it was like. Bought my first tourney disk today too. Im a sucker for discs.

I was thinking I would try 9 holes at Alexander Park. Fairly close to my house. I have tread that the front 9 was much more forgiving than the back 9. I hope to go my Discstalker today to discuss first time setup.

Alexander is my home course, and it is awesome. The front 9 (first 11 holes, actually) is about as good as one can get for working on one's game. Some technical holes, some open holes, not too long, not too short. I play there nearly every day.

Latest posts